2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
Being a degenerate gambler, I watch a s***load of games...almost to a man, every coach does that s***...I'd love to hear the thinking...especially when the team on offense has timeouts themselves.

There isn't any good logic to it, they just must think "oh maybe they'll run out of time before they score." When they have 2 timeouts on the 5 with a minute left, time is a non-issue for them. I could not believe he wasn't taking them, you needed an out, especially if they punched it in for a TD.

All he has to do is think about it from Baltimore's perspective. A perfect situation would have been to bleed the clock and score a TD with 10 seconds left.

It's really crazy how bad coaches are with the clock sometimes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
Anytime the Bears and CPD want to get together and discuss field turf in earnest would be fine by me

100%.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
There isn't any good logic to it, they just must think "oh maybe they'll run out of time before they score." When they have 2 timeouts on the 5 with a minute left, time is a non-issue for them. I could not believe he wasn't taking them, you needed an out, especially if they punched it in for a TD.

All he has to do is think about it from Baltimore's perspective. A perfect situation would have been to bleed the clock and score a TD with 10 seconds left.

It's really crazy how bad coaches are with the clock sometimes.

100%.

Right...they're hoping to take the run away from them, which ultimately did happen on the third down. Ultimately most teams will pass there anyways, but at least it does allow you to play pass on defense almost at a100% likelihood. That said, it's not worth doing that if you give away precious time in the event they score a touchdown (or even a fg in this instance, as they could have had a minute to try and score prior to the end of regulation).

I guess I was just hoping there would be some better answer I hadn't thought of.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Right...they're hoping to take the run away from them, which ultimately did happen on the third down. Ultimately most teams will pass there anyways, but at least it does allow you to play pass on defense almost at a100% likelihood. That said, it's not worth doing that if you give away precious time in the event they score a touchdown (or even a fg in this instance, as they could have had a minute to try and score prior to the end of regulation).

I guess I was just hoping there would be some better answer I hadn't thought of.

I don't know that there is one. Any "advantage" you get by trying to limit their play selection is minimal at best since they have 2 timeouts. I realize that if they burn both and get sacked etc on 3rd the game is over, but again, odds of that situation coming up and then happening is so slim, you would much rather have time on the clock at that point.

Once time is not an issue for your opponent, you immediately need to think of stopping it for your team. I feel like it gets lost in moment. For how many head coaches screw up clock management, it would help if there was one guy on staff on game day always just thinking about clock-related stuff within the last few minutes of a half and can help out the HC.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
Really excited for this game tonight.

Predictions? I think the Broncos will expose the Chiefs a bit if Peyton is reasonably healthy...

Broncos 38, Chiefs 24

With me being a beloved Chiefs fan I screamed don't throw a pick right after the Denver turnover.........I guess they listened to me.......Should've said don't turn the ball over.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I don't know that there is one. Any "advantage" you get by trying to limit their play selection is minimal at best since they have 2 timeouts. I realize that if they burn both and get sacked etc on 3rd the game is over, but again, odds of that situation coming up and then happening is so slim, you would much rather have time on the clock at that point.

Once time is not an issue for your opponent, you immediately need to think of stopping it for your team. I feel like it gets lost in moment. For how many head coaches screw up clock management, it would help if there was one guy on staff on game day always just thinking about clock-related stuff within the last few minutes of a half and can help out the HC.

I don't think it's that difficult...I think many of them are just stubborn about it and/or afraid of being criticized.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
With me being a beloved Chiefs fan I screamed don't throw a pick right after the Denver turnover.........I guess they listened to me.......Should've said don't turn the ball over.

That's just football...nothing you can do.

That was such an awesome win today. I haven't thought much of this team. But there does seem to be a lot of buy in with this team and trestman. Might be that random hot team that gets into playoffs now that d has stabilized.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
KC's defense is good, but it is overrated. I think I read a stat they they've faced the most backup QBs in the league. Hell, even Peyton has a bum ankle.

Yeah, they are solid, but I think I heard none of their wins are against teams that currently have winning records.

I think what's solidified Peyton for me is how he left Indy and completely remade the Broncos offense in his style once more. Obviously denver had loads of talent for him. But I just think if you take Brees, who really win-wise and numbers wise has been just as impressive, and put him without Sean Payton he is lesser (we have seen this). Peyton just dominates the personality of the team and forces it to be good.

Edit: I forgot how good Brees was in second half of last year. I guess I agree I'd take Peyton, but Brees will be a close second at this point.

Edited by bmags