2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
We already have a guy we took last year who has drawn comparisons to Aaron Hernandez, I'd have to pass on Eifert. If Cooper and Warmack are gone then I'm hoping for Ogletree at 20. If Ogletree is gone too I would go WR just for the hell of it. The Vikings have a huge need at WR (right now anyway) and they pick behind the Bears so taking a WR of the board would make the offense even more dynamic and hurt one of our competitors.

Pollian thinks the Bears need a burner. He thinks that's all that is missing now on the offense.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
We already have a guy we took last year who has drawn comparisons to Aaron Hernandez, I'd have to pass on Eifert. If Cooper and Warmack are gone then I'm hoping for Ogletree at 20. If Ogletree is gone too I would go WR just for the hell of it. The Vikings have a huge need at WR (right now anyway) and they pick behind the Bears so taking a WR of the board would make the offense even more dynamic and hurt one of our competitors.

This is quite a stretch. If Eifert is there and you are in BPA mode, you take him.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
seankjensen: #Bears inform TE Kellen Davis of his release, source says, confirming @ProFootballTalk. Move saves $2.5 million in cap space...

WOOOOOOOOO

Bears released TE Kellen Davis.

As expected. Davis signed a two-year, $6 million deal with the Bears last March but flopped massively in 2012. He dropped eight of the 44 targets that came his way, en route to a 19/229/2 line. The Bears will get a massive upgrade at the tight end going forward after signing Martellus Bennett on Tuesday.

Per Rotoworld

Good he was horrid and cap savings is a bonus.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 03:21 AM)
It's just the money. I think our line has to be better with him in it, but he becomes one of our highest paid players. The fact that Kromer is here seems to make it more likely that it is hubris than good scouting...but I like Emery and I don't expect him to really f*** things up. I'm willing to be wrong, but I'll say he wouldn't have been my target for that dollar amount.

Frankly, signing a starting OT was going to make that position one of our highest paid (consistent across NFL). According to Jensen, move only cost us 3.1 against the cap this year. Not bad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I love the guy, I think he is gonna be a beast at the NFL level

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm not sure Eifert falls that far. I'd like to see him fall to the Packers.

Ertz is better and neither are worth a first round pick if they are going to be your TE2.

Eifert wouldn't fall to 20. He'd be a reach at 20.

Good red zone weapon too. He's now the second best receiver on the team.

Eh, my money's on Jeffery seizing that title this year. He showed a lot for a rookie.

In other news our OL stands at:

LT: Bushrod

LG: Louis

C: Garza

RG: Carimi

RT: Webb

Honorable Mention: Martellus Bennett is pretty good at blocking.

Not nearly good enough. We are still relying on Webb and Carimi to be starters when we should be in a position where those guys compete for starting jobs against mid-late round draft picks and low-level free agents. Also Lance Louis has to come back from a pretty major injury and insurance there would be nice. So far so good though, Emery is pretty awesome... everyone was wondering wtf the Bears were doing and he pounced on the guys he wanted out of nowhere.

I'd really like to grab a C in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I lean towards agreeing with you there. Garza never struck me as being any good just better than the absolute filth we've surrounded him with. Only guy I'm confident with going into the season is Bushrod, and if Louis' rehab is going well him too.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
I lean towards agreeing with you there. Garza never struck me as being any good just better than the absolute filth we've surrounded him with. Only guy I'm confident with going into the season is Bushrod, and if Louis' rehab is going well him too.

I still think Carimi can be good. He has yet to be healthy. He was awful last season, but who knows. There have been several NFL people who expect some sort of leap from him next season. If Louis rehabs well and Carimi comes around, the line should be really solid.

That's several ifs though, and chances are a lineman or 2 or 3 will go down.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm not sure Eifert falls that far. I'd like to see him fall to the Packers.

Giants just lost their TE and draft 19th, right ahead of the Bears. I doubt he lasts to 20, but Bears still have too many bigger needs to draft for luxury. You never know how "best player available" winds up effecting things, but all things being equal, I want another OL or LB.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Eh, my money's on Jeffery seizing that title this year. He showed a lot for a rookie.

In other news our OL stands at:

LT: Bushrod

LG: Louis

C: Garza

RG: Carimi

RT: Webb

Honorable Mention: Martellus Bennett is pretty good at blocking.

Not nearly good enough. We are still relying on Webb and Carimi to be starters when we should be in a position where those guys compete for starting jobs against mid-late round draft picks and low-level free agents. Also Lance Louis has to come back from a pretty major injury and insurance there would be nice. So far so good though, Emery is pretty awesome... everyone was wondering wtf the Bears were doing and he pounced on the guys he wanted out of nowhere.

Remember, Louis is an UFA and expects to draw interest from multiple teams. Not a cinch to return with our cap issues.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I'm not a scout, I know nothing, but if we ended up with Barrett Jones, I would be happy. Versatile and possible C replacement, or potential guard.

+1. He would be very good for several positions.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Remember, Louis is an UFA and expects to draw interest from multiple teams. Not a cinch to return with our cap issues.

I think he'll be back, but there's little reason for him or teams to finish a deal right now. He's still recovering from injury, so teams won't want to commit as much money to him until they have a better idea of how his rehab is proceeding and whether he'll be on the field for week 1. Unless the Bears already have something in place for him they just haven't finished yet, he'll wait a while.