Buying a car help

GoodAsGould

So, I got into an accident last week and car is going to be totaled. Insurance is giving me 5200 for it and I can add at least another 800 so can put down 6k maybe if I wait a couple weeks 7k. Pretty much I was thinking of buying a new accord or civic or a new camaro low end model.

My past 2 cars were pretty old at the time and at time knew the gm of a store so made things simple. How do you go about getting a good amount off the sticker price and whatnot I have no idea what I'm doing and feel like I'd be pretty easy prey for a salesperson.

get your financing lined up elsewhere so the dealership can't play the "hide the costs in talking about "monthly payments"" game.

edit: unless they're offering 0% financing, then go with that obviously, but make sure you stick to the price and not the payments. and be willing and ready to walk out the door

Edited by StrangeSox

As mentioned, get a car loan offer from another bank just in case you don't get special rates from the dealer.

Research online, alot. Find cars that fit your style and budget, don't have first looks at cars at a dealer's lot, there will be too much pressure. Look into things such as mechanical reliability, last thing you want to do is buy a cheaper car and pay more down the road.

Once you've selected a car you really like, then request quotes online (you'll find the dealer that is actually willing to cut you a good deal easily that way), and if you have one model you love check out www.carwoo.com (your first vehicle search is free, and it's pretty awesome). Do your research on pricing from edmunds and kbb, know all the rebates available (including the ones the dealer may get). Check your company's partnerships as well, I found out that my company is part of perkspot, which offers deals with Ford (x-plan), VW ($500 below invoice on all models), Nissan/Infinity (Supplier pricing), GM, etc, all easy ways to save while cutting out a lot of the bargaining hassle.

Also be aware that you may be able to get a used model cheaper, some brands have almost zero cash incentives (Honda, VW, etc) and you may be able to find a used model with the financing you received from a bank.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
An oldie but a goodie:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessi...r-salesman.html

It's a decade old, but when we bought our new Ford Escape in 2010, basically everything this guy said - down the the chain smoking older guys with styrofoam cups of coffee wearing leather jackets - was spot on.

Fascinating.

Do NOT tell them you totaled your car. This means you NEED a car and people who need things have less leverage. You're just a dude who is interested in upgrading his car in the next few months, and if you find a great deal, maybe you'll buy earlier than that. You have no pressure. THEY have the pressure to make sales and get commissions.

Play them against each other. Get a bunch of quotes and then tell the losers what price point they need to beat to get your sale.

At some point, their manager may not allow them to lower the price any more. At this point, start asking what other things they can do for you: upgraded stereo, all-weather floor mats, free services, etcetc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
An oldie but a goodie:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessi...r-salesman.html

It's a decade old, but when we bought our new Ford Escape in 2010, basically everything this guy said - down the the chain smoking older guys with styrofoam cups of coffee wearing leather jackets - was spot on.

Very long, but a great read.

I never even thought of emailing dealerships for quotes, thanks for all the info and tips. Although I used to work inventory at carmax and have no desire to ever get a car from them and Mazda's just don't seem like a right fit except the rx7 or whatever which was discontinued :(.

When emailing a dealership for a quote should I just plain ask for a price or should I say a friend got 3k off sticker price or something and asking if they could do better or match?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
I never even thought of emailing dealerships for quotes, thanks for all the info and tips. Although I used to work inventory at carmax and have no desire to ever get a car from them and Mazda's just don't seem like a right fit except the rx7 or whatever which was discontinued :(.

When emailing a dealership for a quote should I just plain ask for a price or should I say a friend got 3k off sticker price or something and asking if they could do better or match?

Many times they have a request a quote option, I'd just do that.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, if you know the car you want take advantage of carwoo.com's free trial, it contacts dealers on your behalf, and you can negotiate on their page, without the dealer ever getting your contact info. It's pretty sweet, I just wouldn't pay for it.

Just bought a car last week. Pay attention to the details. Gap insurance sounded like a great idea until I found out the next day that my insurance company already covered that.

Weil Cadillac - $1,000

Tuna - 0

Edited by Tuna

The biggest mistake people make in negotiation is not understanding what a fair deal is. You have to get the invoice price independently which will cost a few bucks on KBB I think. Then come up with a fair price for yourself and the dealer. If you are unreasonable then they know you are a sucker. If your price is fair then you can feel comfortable walking away to another dealer.

Information is everything. After that don't get suckered into their add on garbage.

I loved my Mazda3 Hatchback when I had it, but it had a lot of random problems happen (all of which stemmed from the engine dying far before it's time, but I don't think it'd be the norm) and I love my Honda Civic.

But if I have to give any advice it's go to multiple dealers and use their offers to talk down the others.

"Well I have this place offering me this..."

So on and so forth.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
The biggest mistake people make in negotiation is not understanding what a fair deal is. You have to get the invoice price independently which will cost a few bucks on KBB I think. Then come up with a fair price for yourself and the dealer. If you are unreasonable then they know you are a sucker. If your price is fair then you can feel comfortable walking away to another dealer.

Information is everything. After that don't get suckered into their add on garbage.

Edmunds is pretty good for pricing, too.

QUOTE (Tuna @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Just bought a car last week. Pay attention to the details. Gap insurance sounded like a great idea until I found out the next day that my insurance company already covered that.

Weil Cadillac - $1,000

Tuna - 0

We called our insurance company and got a quote for the gap insurance before we signed the paperwork.

Then when the finance guy brought it up and quoted us a higher amount, we told him the amount our insurance company would charge us for it. Then he lowered his quote to below what the insurance company offered.

I’m just afraid I’m going to have to actually use it before too long. I’ve already gotten hit once last September and came within inches of getting hit twice within the last week.

I haven’t even owned the car a full year yet…

Edited by Iwritecode

Well, sent the insurance the title to my car so prob have the week before I get the check. So this week is all searching and maybe emailing for quotes. Does anyone have any knowledge about rx8's, like the way they look but one friend said they are very reliable other said the opposite.