2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I hope Quentin's punishment isn't exaggerated just because it looks like Greinke will be missing some time. Even if it is initially on the lengthy side, I don't think it would stick after Quentin inevitably appeals it.

They shouldn't base the punishment on the injury. It should be based on the act. He shouldn't get any more than anyone else that has charged the mound in the past.

And f*** Don Mattingly and Matt Kemp too. I wouldn't care what the count was at the time. A guy that has thrown at Quentin's head before just hit him again, AND he mouthed off after he hit him.

He only "mouthed off" (we don't even know what he said, but it was really brief) because Quentin stared at him and started walking towards the mound. Prompts a "wtf are you doing" reaction from Greinke, because again, it's ridiculous to think that was intentional.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
He only "mouthed off" (we don't even know what he said, but it was really brief) because Quentin stared at him and started walking towards the mound. Prompts a "wtf are you doing" reaction from Greinke, because again, it's ridiculous to think that was intentional.

He has hit 25 batters since 2005 and three of them have been Quentin what is so ridiculous about thinking they have a history and it was intentional. Looks to me that without a doubt he was trying to come well up and in on him. The status of the game against a horses*** padres team means nothing.

Grienke tried to defend Kemp, got to up and in and paid the price. Grienke wasn't backing down and was more than willing to go after Quentin.

You hit a guy, let him say f*** you and be on your way. You hit a guy mouth back after hitting him twice previously and now there is a story.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
They shouldn't base the punishment on the injury. It should be based on the act. He shouldn't get any more than anyone else that has charged the mound in the past.

And f*** Don Mattingly and Matt Kemp too. I wouldn't care what the count was at the time. A guy that has thrown at Quentin's head before just hit him again, AND he mouthed off after he hit him.

"Mom! Zack called me a name!" :crying

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
He has hit 25 batters since 2005 and three of them have been Quentin what is so ridiculous about thinking they have a history and it was intentional. Looks to me that without a doubt he was trying to come well up and in on him. The status of the game against a horses*** padres team means nothing.

Grienke tried to defend Kemp, got to up and in and paid the price. Grienke wasn't backing down and was more than willing to go after Quentin.

You hit a guy, let him say f*** you and be on your way. You hit a guy mouth back after hitting him twice previously and now there is a story.

How is the Padres being a horses*** team relevant whatsoever? It's not. All that matters is the game situation.

Quentin gets hit by everyone, so doesn't really matter to me if he's hit him before.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I dont care about it, if a pitcher throws at someone he should understand that they may get hit back. Also if a 240 lb power hitter runs at you, you dont lower your shoulder like an idiot when you are a skinny waif.

What exactly should he have done? Run? Duck and get slammed into the ground?

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Except TCQ didn't call for his mommy. He ran out there and beat the guy's ass.

That matters.

He should have called for his mommy, because that would have been a lot smarter on his part. Sorry if Zack hurt his feelings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
What exactly should he have done? Run? Duck and get slammed into the ground?

Not as though he had a whole lot of time to think about it, but almost anything other than lowering his shoulder...probably should have stepped aside and tried to throw him to the ground as he was running by...all I know is if some dude that big was running at me, I hope I would try just about anything other than what Greinke actually did...

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)

How well do you know Zack Greinke? How can you know so surely what his intentions were?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
How well do you know Zack Greinke? How can you know so surely what his intentions were?

I don't need to know him. He didn't say anything until Quentin started walking towards him. Observing a fact.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I typically respect the "pay mind to the situation" argument, but that looked as blatant as anything I've ever seen in my life. You argue what you want to argue; I think you're wrong.

Of course a ball going towards someone's head looks intentional. It's hard for it not to. That's why you use the other context clues. You have to respect the "situation" argument as it's part of painting the whole picture.

On another note, why is it "acceptable" to charge the mound and clear the benches in baseball?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Of course a ball going towards someone's head looks intentional. It's hard for it not to. That's why you use the other context clues. You have to respect the "situation" argument as it's part of painting the whole picture.

On another note, why is it "acceptable" to charge the mound and clear the benches in baseball?

And he hit 6 of the previous 1600 guys he faced. This isn't a guy that's wild and accidentally loses one.

Next, when Quentin stares him down, all he has to do is give a slightly apologetic wave or circle the mound or ask for a baseball from the ump - anything to avoid making eye contact with Quentin. Pitchers do this thing all the time. His demeanor after hitting him tells me he had intention of doing so, and the fact that he immediately went into fight mode, rather than trying to defend himself, further cements that idea in my mind.

Regarding Quentin charging, it's not acceptable. I never said it was.

If Joe Blow is 5'10'', 150, and drunk, and he starts messing with Randy Bobandi, who is 6'2'', 220, and sober with a short temper, are people going to feel sorry for Joe Blow when he was the one that stirred the pot? I don't. I mean, what Randy did wasn't acceptable, and he should have kept his cool, but sometimes you lose it in the heat of the moment like that. It's not right, but I understand it.

EDIT: I misread that last part. I have no idea why it's acceptable. I think it's a territorial thing of home plate, and then guys come out to defend their teammate or break up the fight. Then other guys get riled up and it gets worse. It's stupid.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
If Grienke kept his b**** mouth shut, he wouldn't have a broken collarbone right now. Q even said in the post game interview that this could have all been avoided if Grienke didn't say what he said to him, but instead he mouthed off like a b**** and took his punishment.

And Quentin could have avoided a suspension and breaking Greinke's collarbone if he's the bigger man. He needs to just walk away in that situation and get him later in the game. You don't get paid to fight and you don't put runs on the scoreboard for throwing punches. Quit excusing your actions because someone else opened their mouth.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
And Quentin could have avoided a suspension and breaking Greinke's collarbone if he's the bigger man. He needs to just walk away in that situation and get him later in the game. You don't get paid to fight and you don't put runs on the scoreboard for throwing punches. Quit excusing your actions because someone else opened their mouth.

And that's the same Carlos Quentin who lost his temper and maybe cost us a shot at a playoff series win in 2008.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)

I don't think Quentin gives a s*** if he is suspended 2-3 games or whatever it may be. Talk s***, get hit, Greinke's learned his lesson.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I don't need to know him. He didn't say anything until Quentin started walking towards him. Observing a fact.

He hit Quentin, happens to Quentin all of the time, he has hit him previously and he doesn't hit many guys. After he hits him, he should pay no attention to Quentin. When he hits the guy and then mouths off, Quentin went after him.

As opposed to what Jack McDowell did, hit the guy, stand there waiting for he ball or if you did it on purpose turn and grab the rosin bag. If the guy charges and tackles you from behind he looks like the p****.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
If Grienke kept his b**** mouth shut, he wouldn't have a broken collarbone right now. Q even said in the post game interview that this could have all been avoided if Grienke didn't say what he said to him, but instead he mouthed off like a b**** and took his punishment.

Violence is the answer!!!!