2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I didn't want to put him on this list because his mehness just started this year and I'm not sure if it's a trend yet. Having the Tigers stuck with 23 million for the next 5 years or whatever of a mediocre player wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, though.

It's for the next 7 years

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty scary about Fielder.

2009 wRC+ 161

2010 wRC+ 136

2011 wRC+ 161

2012 wRC+ 153

2013 wRC+ 115

And 2010 was considered a bad year by his standards. This year has been nothing short of abysmal.

But abysmal Fielder still has a higher wRC+ than anybody on the White Sox. That's pretty funny, I guess.

Relevant: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2013-anti-t...orst-contracts/

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
That's pretty scary about Fielder.

2009 wRC+ 161

2010 wRC+ 136

2011 wRC+ 161

2012 wRC+ 153

2013 wRC+ 115

And 2010 was considered a bad year by his standards. This year has been nothing short of abysmal.

But abysmal Fielder still has a higher wRC+ than anybody on the White Sox. That's pretty funny, I guess.

You mean "anybody on the White Sox EXCEPT Dylan Axelrod."

Oh, and Dunn is at 114, so that's a wash.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
Someone might want to tell him not to look so bored when hitting mammoth bombs.

9438520714_7916c7bb55_o.gif

Fun fact:

Wil Myers only has .6 less WAR than James Shields and he's only played in 41 games.

How does Dayton Moore still have a job?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Fun fact:

Wil Myers only has .6 less WAR than James Shields and he's only played in 41 games.

How does Dayton Moore still have a job?

That was such a dumb, dumb trade. Who didn't see this coming?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
That was such a dumb, dumb trade. Who didn't see this coming?

There's writers in KC saying the deal still isn't bad.

When the Royals finish the year with 82 wins and a third place finish, we'll see what they say then.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
There's writers in KC saying the deal still isn't bad.

When the Royals finish the year with 82 wins and a third place finish, we'll see what they say then.

They have Shields next year right? If they make the playoffs either this year or next year then I'd figure some people will say it's Ok.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
They have Shields next year right? If they make the playoffs either this year or next year then I'd figure some people will say it's Ok.

They are dumb then. Without Nick Swisher, the White Sox don't make the playoffs in 2008, but you don't see people claiming his acquisition from Oakland was a good one.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
They are dumb then. Without Nick Swisher, the White Sox don't make the playoffs in 2008, but you don't see people claiming his acquisition from Oakland was a good one.

If that was our first playoff visit in 20+ years I might think differently.

And one big difference would be that Shields is actually contributing to the Royals, not being benched and useless. If Swisher hit 35 HR that year and the Sox made the playoffs with him helping a lot, I'd have cared a lot less about giving up Gio for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)

I agree that if Shields is a big part of them finally making the playoffs, it would be an OK trade for that franchise. Question is though, how many wins would they have if they never made the trade and Myers started opening day instead of Francouer. They might be in the same position.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)

He had a negative WAR that year. We still make the playoffs. He was truly awful.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
I was looking at another thread on another board from a couple years ago where a Phillies fan was defending the Phillies giving Howard 22 mil for 6 years, where everyone was saying the contract was an overpay and going to start looking awful a couple years into the deal. Adrian Gonzalez was brought up as a comparison and how much better a player he was than Howard, and how Howard's contract won't look that bad once Pujols and Fielder get their deals. Funny, now... ALL of those mega-contracts look bad now except Fielder. There are some truly terrible contracts, in otherworldly-bad territory right now, over 20 million for players who've been just average or are truly bad.

For all the arguing done about Gonzalez in that thread he's been a pretty much above-average player nowhere near worth his deal.

A-Rod... nuff said, this one was easy to call at the time too

Pujols - nobody really understands this one

Hamilton - could have been called at the time

Teixeira - pretty much paying for the '09 World Series, really meh since then, coulda been called at the time too

Sabathia - can be excused from this list since he's been great for most of his deal but is really expensive from here in the rest of it

Crawford - not even remotely close to worth the money

Compared to these guys Cabrera's deal looks downright cheap. It's like MLB GMs got NBA GM syndrome from like 2009 to 2013.

You forgot Jayson Werth and Joe Mauer. Those deals are LOL bad. Verlander is about to be LOL bad too. Considering some of the deals the Tigers are stuck with, it's fitting they're from Detroit. They're going to need a bailout too.