ST: 3/16 vs Oakland- Sale starts

flavum

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
McEwing and Parent working with Beckham at SS. He's air mailing 1st quite a bit but looks solid turning 2. Interesting.

there's no way in which that's good news for Gordon... looks like someone's got an idea that he'll be more effective as a utility guy.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
there's no way in which that's good news for Gordon... looks like someone's got an idea that he'll be more effective as a utility guy.

That actually might be good news for Beckham. Gillaspie has no options so has to be waived or released (no idea which) if he doesn't make the 25 and Sanchez, being a Rule 5 draftee, must make the 25 or return to the Angels. If we carry one other infielder Sox are probably leaning to Gillaspie. That means we lose Sanchez and need a backup SS. Morel has options so he goes back to the minors leaving Gordon as backup SS.

I'm not 100% certain what I said about losing Gillaspie or Sanchez but I'm sure someone knows.

If what I said is true we're losing either Gillaspie or Sanchez.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
That actually might be good news for Beckham. Gillaspie has no options so has to be waived or released (no idea which) if he doesn't make the 25 and Sanchez, being a Rule 5 draftee, must make the 25 or return to the Angels. If we carry one other infielder Sox are probably leaning to Gillaspie. That means we lose Sanchez and need a backup SS. Morel has options so he goes back to the minors leaving Gordon as backup SS.

I'm not 100% certain what I said about losing Gillaspie or Sanchez but I'm sure someone knows.

If what I said is true we're losing either Gillaspie or Sanchez.

If Gordo can play there occasionally, it makes them a deeper team. I don't see the downside here.