2013 April White Sox Catch-All Thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Seger concert last night and when I saw the forecast for today earlier in the week I gave my tickets away. Kind of bummed I'll be missing this one now because a.) I feel better than I thought I would this morning :D and b.) it looks like it's going to be a decent day. Seger put on a really good show though.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
White Sox juggle rotation. Axelrod now starts Thursday night at Washington. Quintana to start Friday night at Cleveland -- Scot Gregor

I think Quintana having success in Cleveland might have something to do with that. It may also set up Santiago starting Sunday, for an additional lefty against the Indians.

Wouldn't surprise me if they go 6-man during this 20-day stretch without an off day. I hope they do it.

edit: Now that I look at it, it'll probably be Quintana, Sale, Peavy in Cleveland. We'll see if they have 6-man intentions.

Edited by flavum

Random thought: In the 8 years AJ was here I don't think I remember him once putting up the super high, get out of your squat target. Flowers/Gimenez have both done it at least a dozen times so far this year. And I don't think it's worked once haha. All balls.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
Random thought: In the 8 years AJ was here I don't think I remember him once putting up the super high, get out of your squat target. Flowers/Gimenez have both done it at least a dozen times so far this year. And I don't think it's worked once haha. All balls.

Well they're supposed to be out of the zone most of the time. If they're in the zone, they're likely to get clobbered. You want guys to chase. Some guys are good at laying off but at least a couple have struck out on high fastballs against our relievers, that I recall.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Is it just me or do Addison Reed and Nick Swisher seem like they could be besties?

(This did not deserve its own thread. Thanks, catchall!)

Addison Reed looks like a southern California surfer dude.

Nick Swisher is a clown.

So, no.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Addison Reed looks like a southern California surfer dude.

Nick Swisher is a clown.

So, no.

If you're from here and know any Surfers.... they're all clowns. It's the same type of personality. Good thing Ozzie is not around. Reed Jones and Flowers would all be in AAA or on other teams right now. Young honkies that they are haha

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
If you're from here and know any Surfers.... they're all clowns. It's the same type of personality. Good thing Ozzie is not around. Reed Jones and Flowers would all be in AAA or on other teams right now. Young honkies that they are haha

I'm pretty sure Nick Swisher is an actual clown. :lol:

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)

"I SHOW JOO IN JO FACE WHEN I SEND YOU TO DE MINORS"

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
That screen grab that someone posted during the Royals game, "Konerko Getz Kuntz" just showed up in an email. Looks like it's gone viral. Bet PK gets a laugh out of it.

Rusty Kuntz.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Bernstein just said that Alexei was only "OK" defensively. Every time he talks about the Sox, the more I'm convinced he doesn't actually watch them play and just looks at their boxscores.

We are talking about literally the most extreme of sample sizes here, but Alexei currently leads the MLB in SS UZR. Like I said, it means literally nothing, but it's ironic to consider nonetheless.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
We are talking about literally the most extreme of sample sizes here, but Alexei currently leads the MLB in SS UZR. Like I said, it means literally nothing, but it's ironic to consider nonetheless.

Especially from Mr. Advanced Stats himself.

Even looking at 2012, #4 in the AL, #6 in all baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)

He has made some dynamite plays the last few days. The full team has had problems with "Calling for flyballs" including Alexei, and if they don't fix that then someone's going to get killed, but Alexei's been all over that side of the infield so far. He's looked great out there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)

Which is hilarious because Berstein normally quotes advanced metrics as gospel. I get the sample size is too small to truly take anything from it, but he's looked really good in the field so far this year. Hell, he had one play the other day where he had to run halfway across the infield and still almost got the guy out. I get that he makes some errors, but his range is definitely elite.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
He has made some dynamite plays the last few days. The full team has had problems with "Calling for flyballs" including Alexei, and if they don't fix that then someone's going to get killed, but Alexei's been all over that side of the infield so far. He's looked great out there.

I wonder if defense wasn't hit as hard this spring, because it has been awful the first week of the season. Even past the errors, the overall baseball IQ just isn't there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Bernstein just said that Alexei was only "OK" defensively. Every time he talks about the Sox, the more I'm convinced he doesn't actually watch them play and just looks at their boxscores.

Even in a down year last season, he was a +6 in UZR I believe. He's more than just OK.

Bernstein probably hasn't looked at Alexei's FanGraphs page in a while.

One of the hardest things for me to do is convince people who look only at errors and FPCT that Alexei is an elite defender. Yes, you make like 20 errors but your range gets you to 200 more attempts, which obviously have a much higher degree of difficulty to make a putout. People don't really listen though. "But so and so had less errors, what are you talking about"

You'd think you wouldn't have to explain this to someone who actually gets advanced stats though.