2013 April White Sox Catch-All Thread

witesoxfan

Did anybody else notice a small change to the stripe on our road grey pants? It's now a very thin black stripe, where last year it was a thicker black and white stripe, similar in size to the cuffs on the jersey sleeves.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
One of the hardest things for me to do is convince people who look only at errors and FPCT that Alexei is an elite defender. Yes, you make like 20 errors but your range gets you to 200 more attempts, which obviously have a much higher degree of difficulty to make a putout. People don't really listen though. "But so and so had less errors, what are you talking about"

You'd think you wouldn't have to explain this to someone who actually gets advanced stats though.

Luis Aparicio is considered to be among the best defensive shortstops of all time. Look at how many errors he made.

I'm obviously agreeing with you, just saying that you don't get to that point without being really f***ing good.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 06:00 AM)
CARLOS SANCHEZ

I doubt it if it's only a few days. Plus we have others who can step in. I never thought Sanchez was ready for the show just yet anyway. He needs to play every day and develop

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
.278 OBP. Last in the AL---and that includes the Astros.

Fire Walker...oh wait.

Almost every team goes through an 8-game stretch like that during the season. Just so happens the Sox did it during the first 8 games

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
Almost every team goes through an 8-game stretch like that during the season. Just so happens the Sox did it during the first 8 games

I'll give you that. But the fear that this team just makes too many outs to be a serious contender haven't been disproved yet.

I like to evaluate the team every 27 games. We'll see where we are at the end of the month.

They've also faced Shields, Felix, Iwakuma, Gonzalez, and Zimmerman, as well as Jeremy Guthrie who may as well be Christy Mathewson against the White Sox. They've faced some really, really good pitching. The fact that they're 4-4 is, quite frankly, a surprise in its own right.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
I'll give you that. But the fear that this team just makes too many outs to be a serious contender haven't been disproved yet.

I like to evaluate the team every 27 games. We'll see where we are at the end of the month.

That's probably a pretty good sample size - a lot better than 8 games anyways.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)

Over the course of a season, though, there are too many hitters (Viceido, Keppinger, Ramirez, Beckham and Flowers) who just aren't likely to get on base as much as the offense will need to to operate without being overly dependent on home runs, which this team will certainly hit a good share of. There are older players as well in this lineup (Konerko, Dunn) who may begin a slow decline so I think there's a ton of pressure on the pitching staff to hold opposing teams down. Barring health issues, I do expect the top 3 (Sale, Peavy and Floyd) do hold up with some blemishes, but the bottom of that rotation could be a gas can. It's hard for me to see how this team out-performs last year's without unexpected play from some of the offense and the backend of the pitching staff surprising me (I do like the bullpen a lot). I see this team finishing somewhere in the 80 win area.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
They've also faced Shields, Felix, Iwakuma, Gonzalez, and Zimmerman, as well as Jeremy Guthrie who may as well be Christy Mathewson against the White Sox. They've faced some really, really good pitching. The fact that they're 4-4 is, quite frankly, a surprise in its own right.

That is a good point although 2 of the 3 teams that they have played (although the Royals have dominated the White Sox and many like them as a sleeper) our teams that most people on this board probably see as inferior to the White Sox. Also, in 8 or 9 games, every team has seen a #1 or #2 now in about half of those games, although the quality of some team's top starters in not always high.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
All of 1, and they should have won that game had Peavy not gotten torched.

Not to mention, he's not exactly the stat-padding variety of lefty starter.

Twins - no lefty starters until Diamond comes back (unless you count Pedro Hernandez)

Indians- no lefty starters until Kazmir is ready, if that.

Tigers- no lefty starters

Royals- no lefty starters

So, that's 47% of the schedule.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
All of 1, and they should have won that game had Peavy not gotten torched.

Placing that game on Robin, it was clear Peavy was done, but Robin sent him back out to face the heart of the order. Sigh

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Twins - no lefty starters until Diamond comes back (unless you count Pedro Hernandez)

Indians- no lefty starters until Kazmir is ready, if that.

Tigers- no lefty starters

Royals- no lefty starters

So, that's 47% of the schedule.

Yikes, didn't realize that. Flowers might not hit over .180 this year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
AJ's OBP was no great shakes.

The White Sox take the power in their park over OBP we need to live with that.

Where do they rank as team in OPS that is the issue.

12th at .707. League average .751.

Edited by flavum

Oh come on now, this team has very little on base skill. Call a spade a spade. It's a boom or bust hit a jack or you're toast lineup.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Oh come on now, this team has very little on base skill. Call a spade a spade. It's a boom or bust hit a jack or you're toast lineup.

Yeah, I know they aren't gonna lead the world in OBP. But they aren't gonna finish last in the league under .300, that's for sure.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah, I know they aren't gonna lead the world in OBP. But they aren't gonna finish last in the league under .300, that's for sure.

Last year the Sox got a cumulative .286 OBP out of 3b and .324 out of catcher, and those 2 positions are the ones that turned over in the offseason. I still will find it difficult to believe we haven't upgraded OBP at those 2 positions.

We were 7th in the AL in OBP last year overall at .318.