2013 NFL Draft

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
Tony Wise, Wanne's buddy, worked with Long at the Senior Bowl. He said he would put him at LT. Thinks he's as good as the #1 pick.

With quotes:

I don’t want to insult anybody, but guards are a dime-a-dozen,” Wise said. “Guys with Kyle’s height and his reach and his ability to change directions and run, those guys don’t come along very often. I’ve seen film on some of these guys, and people are going to call me crazy, but I’d stack him up against (Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M and Eric Fisher of Central Michigan). The only thing they did, is they played left tackle their entire career.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/26/vet...ong-very-often/

Its pretty obvious the dream is for him to be a tackle, the problem is that he is extremely raw, with very little on field playing time.

I just am not really a big fan of that strategy, unless you are planning to go 5-11 or worse, and then who cares, get him in there for 16 games and get experience. But right now the bears just keep being in the middle, which is the worst place for a team.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Its pretty obvious the dream is for him to be a tackle, the problem is that he is extremely raw, with very little on field playing time.

I just am not really a big fan of that strategy, unless you are planning to go 5-11 or worse, and then who cares, get him in there for 16 games and get experience. But right now the bears just keep being in the middle, which is the worst place for a team.

I don't think his rawness hurts him as much in football as it would in other sports. If he's as gifted and good as they say, they can coach him up and he should be decent, which is an upgrade for the Bears, in short order. If they do plan to play him at G, it makes me wonder if a guy like Carimi is out the door. The beat writers made it a point at the end of the season to mention that Carimi was their choice to be most improved in 2013. Apparently he still wasn't healthy. Maybe he's never going to be healthy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't think his rawness hurts him as much in football as it would in other sports. If he's as gifted and good as they say, they can coach him up and he should be decent, which is an upgrade for the Bears, in short order. If they do plan to play him at G, it makes me wonder if a guy like Carimi is out the door. The beat writers made it a point at the end of the season to mention that Carimi was their choice to be most improved in 2013. Apparently he still wasn't healthy. Maybe he's never going to be healthy.

I think it's more that since he has very little experience they want to break him in slowly. The lack of experience is not as crucial at guard. My guess is that he is a guard for a year, move to right tackle and eventually more to left tackle.

How long did Bushrod sign for?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)

I have to disagree, you are looking at this from a "everything will go right perspective." The problem is that Kyle Long has historically been a guy that "everything will go wrong", whether its getting kicked out of FSU, dui, etc, Kyle Long does not have a history you can hang your hat on.

Once again he could become a HOF, just seems like an extreme risk on a 1st round pick, when it was not really necessary.

Hes one of the few players in this draft where its possible due to circumstances outside of football, never even plays a down.

Okay so I think people really get too hung up on where guys are projected to go in mock drafts, and people also get carried away with the "always take BPA" thing. The fact is, unless a guy falls to them they totally weren't expecting, damn near all teams draft to fill a need in the first 2 rounds - how else do you make mock drafts to begin with? The later rounds are where you default to BPA. It's kind of hard to argue the Bears didn't badly need a guard considering LG was the worst position on the line last year. Eifert was in the "luxury" category and I honestly didn't expect them to pass on Floyd, but they're not really hurting at DT either considering Melton's presence, they just need depth there.

The Bears passed on Floyd and Eifert and no, they didn't get good value on the 20th pick. However if Long pans out, it's a moot point. People also need to stop saying stuff like "they took a fourth round pick" because Long didn't have a 4th round grade, that's just making s*** up. He was late second/early first.

There was a pretty epic run on OT early in the draft, I've never seen anything like that before - that pushes guys like Long up the board. Seemed pretty clear to me that Emery wanted to trade back from 20 and take Long a few picks later, but nobody wanted to trade. Athletic guys like Long don't last very long after the first round is done and he probably wasn't going to be there at 50, so the Bears took him anyway. I'm actually ok with that - Long at this point is like any other draft pick.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
I think it's more that since he has very little experience they want to break him in slowly. The lack of experience is not as crucial at guard. My guess is that he is a guard for a year, move to right tackle and eventually more to left tackle.

How long did Bushrod sign for?

4 years and this is a very good point. But Webb is on the last year of his deal.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Okay so I think people really get too hung up on where guys are projected to go in mock drafts, and people also get carried away with the "always take BPA" thing. The fact is, unless a guy falls to them they totally weren't expecting, damn near all teams draft to fill a need in the first 2 rounds - how else do you make mock drafts to begin with? The later rounds are where you default to BPA. It's kind of hard to argue the Bears didn't badly need a guard considering LG was the worst position on the line last year. Eifert was in the "luxury" category and I honestly didn't expect them to pass on Floyd, but they're not really hurting at DT either considering Melton's presence, they just need depth there.

The Bears passed on Floyd and Eifert and no, they didn't get good value on the 20th pick. However if Long pans out, it's a moot point. People also need to stop saying stuff like "they took a fourth round pick" because Long didn't have a 4th round grade, that's just making s*** up. He was late second/early first.

There was a pretty epic run on OT early in the draft, I've never seen anything like that before - that pushes guys like Long up the board. Seemed pretty clear to me that Emery wanted to trade back from 20 and take Long a few picks later, but nobody wanted to trade. Athletic guys like Long don't last very long after the first round is done and he probably wasn't going to be there at 50, so the Bears took him anyway. I'm actually ok with that - Long at this point is like any other draft pick.

Strike that. Reverse it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I have to disagree, you are looking at this from a "everything will go right perspective." The problem is that Kyle Long has historically been a guy that "everything will go wrong", whether its getting kicked out of FSU, dui, etc, Kyle Long does not have a history you can hang your hat on.

Once again he could become a HOF, just seems like an extreme risk on a 1st round pick, when it was not really necessary.

Hes one of the few players in this draft where its possible due to circumstances outside of football, never even plays a down.

I think that is beyond dramatic. Considering how little he's played, and his past transgressions,the fact that he was considered a late first/second round selection would indicate a tremendous upside. I think the Bears feel they have a guy who will anchor their OL for years. If he's a bust, he's no different than many other Bears #1 picks.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
I could have summarized my post by saying Long adds more to the team, right now, as a guard, than Eifert adds to them as a TE (Bennett) or Floyd (Melton, Paea)

Maybe, Id have said that Eifert added more because he would help the OL and passing game. So that is 2 birds with 1 stone, and likely would start from day 1.

Jefferies, Eifert, Bennett, Marshall

That is a nice 2te/2wr set that gives you a ton of flexibility. Way more than getting a lineman who may never start.

Just personal preference.