Viciedo to the 15 day DL

Balta1701

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
Player gets injured.

Sign Lillian's pet.

Two players injured....

Sign him twice.

Seriously, If Viviedo pulled his oblique, I'd be surprised if we'll see that violent swing again this season. Those things

take a long time to heal, especially for a guy who swings as hard as he does.

Regarding my new "pet" player; I don't know how good "Lillian's pet" will be after the long, injury forced, hiatus from baseball,

but I'd settle for a shadow of the old phenom, if it meant replacing Dunn in the middle of the order. I can't believe that, unlike Dunn,

Lillian's pet wouldn't figure out a way to get on base and make contact. He's still only 30, and if he has been practicing and in good physical shape, you bet I'd take him.

Look, the biggest reasons I'm hoping they sign him is that he won't be looking for a long term contract, as he'll want to reestablish his value, he's a left handed hitter, we need help, and he's going to be available. How good he'll be is a gamble I'd take, over betting on Dunn to figure out how to put the bat on the ball.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 03:58 AM)
I thought Conor Jackson retired?

Hey, if he'd consider coming out of retirement, I'd take him over Dunn, as well. I don't even care if he is right handed.

And while you're at it, see if you can locate Dan Johnson, and give him a call too.

Geeez!!!! Put anyone in there but that "strike out machine". For you old timers, I'd even take an Eddie Gaedel clone, at this point.

Or maybe Minnie Minoso would like a crack at playing in his 6TH decade.

And no, this is not in teal. I've just had enough of Adam Dunn.

Actually, I really feel sorry for him. It must be awful to be going through this again. If 2011 hadn't happened, he could just rationalize that it was nothing more than a slump, but you have to wonder what he's thinking now.

Very seriously though, none of you baseball geniuses have yet to comment on my suggestion that Dunn try moving away from the plate. That would force pitchers to stop throwing inside to him, as those pitches would clearly be called balls. It would allow Dunn to start hitting the strikes away, to the giant hole on the left side of the field. It would reduce his home run production but it might eventually cause the opposition to stop using the shift. The other advantage is that Dunn would have more time to see the pitch, while waiting for it to get deep enough to take to left. That would most certainly help his miserable pitch recognition, at this point.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 06:51 AM)
Hey, if he'd consider coming out of retirement, I'd take him over Dunn, as well. I don't even care if he is right handed.

And while you're at it, see if you can locate Dan Johnson, and give him a call too.

Geeez!!!! Put anyone in there but that "strike out machine". For you old timers, I'd even take an Eddie Gaedel clone, at this point.

Or maybe Minnie Minoso would like a crack at playing in his 6TH decade.

And no, this is not in teal. I've just had enough of Adam Dunn.

Actually, I really feel sorry for him. It must be awful to be going through this again. If 2011 hadn't happened, he could just rationalize that it was nothing more than a slump, but you have to wonder what he's thinking now.

Very seriously though, none of you baseball geniuses have yet to comment on my suggestion that Dunn try moving away from the plate. That would force pitchers to stop throwing inside to him, as those pitches would clearly be called balls. It would allow Dunn to start hitting the strikes away, to the giant hole on the left side of the field. It would reduce his home run production but it might eventually cause the opposition to stop using the shift. The other advantage is that Dunn would have more time to see the pitch, while waiting for it to get deep enough to take to left. That would most certainly help his miserable pitch recognition, at this point.

Sadder is the top prospects are all struggling. Mitchell back to AA. I think his days as a prospect are nearing an end, and Hawkins with 31 strikeouts in 48 AB. He is a long way from Chicago.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 06:51 AM)

very seriously, none of us including you know what Dunn is thinking at the plate, and none of us including you can make a definitive statement like " That would most certainly help his miserable pitch recognition, at this point." and presume to be right.

So that is probably why none of us baseball geniuses have responded to it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
very seriously, none of us including you know what Dunn is thinking at the plate, and none of us including you can make a definitive statement like " That would most certainly help his miserable pitch recognition, at this point." and presume to be right.

So that is probably why none of us baseball geniuses have responded to it.

It doesn't matter what he's thinking. The point is whatever he's thinking, and whatever he's doing, isn't working.

My question is; Would it be advantageous for him to back away from the plate, in order to both neutralize the inside pitch, and increase the potential for hitting strikes to the left side?

I'm still waiting for someone with a high baseball acumen to comment.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
It doesn't matter what he's thinking. The point is whatever he's thinking, and whatever he's doing, isn't working.

My question is; Would it be advantageous for him to back away from the plate, in order to both neutralize the inside pitch, and increase the potential for hitting strikes to the left side?

Maybe Grady will reply.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)

Have you actually seen how far away he stands from the plate? He's so far back it looks like he's outside the batters box.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Have you actually seen how far away he stands from the plate? He's so far back it looks like he's outside the batters box.

I don't recall seeing him far from the plate. If it's true that he's standing pretty far from the plate, could it be that he has already started trying to make the adjustment I described, or has he always stood off the plate? I'll pay close attention to that today.

Thanks

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't recall seeing him far from the plate. If it's true that he's standing pretty far from the plate, could it be that he has already started trying to make the adjustment I described, or has he always stood off the plate? I'll pay close attention to that today.

Thanks

He's always stood far from the plate. Here's him with the Reds, his foot is close to the back of the box. I think he might well stand fartehr from the plate today.

707926948_3f7d9aaa3e_b.jpg

Adam Dunn is a HR hitting lefty with an uppercut swing. He doesn't go the other way, that's not where his power is. When he tries to go the other way, it saps his power because he will lose the uppercut.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
Sadder is the top prospects are all struggling. Mitchell back to AA. I think his days as a prospect are nearing an end, and Hawkins with 31 strikeouts in 48 AB. He is a long way from Chicago.

Two more Adam Dunns.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
I stand by my stance that Dayan Viciedo is a wretched baseball player.

How can one stand by their stance. If they are in a stance, then they are in fact standing, and cannot stand next to their stance.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
How can one stand by their stance. If they are in a stance, then they are in fact standing, and cannot stand next to their stance.

What comes first, standing or the stance?