Viciedo to the 15 day DL

Balta1701

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's serious, it's can easily take a year or years to get over...I know Harrelson's documented this before on numerous occasions. Coming back too quickly is the worst thing you can do, because of the fragility of that part of that area of the body, and the impossibility of protecting it. (This injury, a soft tissue heel contusion/bruise and kidney stones, far and away the three worst physical problems you can go through short of cancer/leukemia/life-threatening ones).

It is the kind of injury, unless you've experienced it yourself, you can't possibly imagine how sensitive and how easy it is to reinjure with just the slightest twinge or violent movement that comes from swinging a bat/racquet/club, or just a quick movement, like jumping upwards to catch a ball.

Hopefully with Dayan is was more of a "twinge" and not a full tear or pull, so to speak.

If this is a muscle tear, or a pull, Viciedo would likely go on the D.L., for an extended period.

Then maybe my wish for the Sox to sign Grady Sizemore, for the second half, might come true. I know that many on this board

think that he is finished, but at 30, I would think that he would still be an offensive force.

I'd love to see him bat right in the heart of the order:

LF de Aza

2B Keppinger

RF Rios

CF Sizemore

1B Konerko

SS Ramirez

DH Dunn

C Flowers

3B Gillaspie

Great defensive outfield, improved OBP, better balance of right and left handed hitters, and more speed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 06:53 AM)
So yeah, Viciedo goes on the DL for a time, the Sox then wait 3 months, Sign Grady Sizemore, and then realize Viciedo came back from the DL 2 months beforehand and they have no idea what they're doing.

Of course, you're right if that is the timing. However, I read somewhere that Sizemore expects to be ready to play in June.

I'm assuming that Viciedo will be out much longer. Aren't oblique pulls and tears very slow to heal? His swing is about as

violent as anyone's, and I can't imagine him taking that swing any time soon, if he did indeed seriously injure his oblique.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Of course, you're right if that is the timing. However, I read somewhere that Sizemore expects to be ready to play in June.

I'm assuming that Viciedo will be out much longer. Aren't oblique pulls and tears very slow to heal? His swing is about as

violent as anyone's, and I can't imagine him taking that swing any time soon, if he did indeed seriously injure his oblique.

I'd expect he'll have a DL trip yes, but if he's already downplaying it enough to tell Gonzo that he doesn't want to go on the DL, it seems unlikely to be severe enough for him to be gone for 6 months. Sorry to disappoint.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

Sizemore will be ready to play in June and then ready to go back on the DL in June

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:02 AM)
I'd expect he'll have a DL trip yes, but if he's already downplaying it enough to tell Gonzo that he doesn't want to go on the DL, it seems unlikely to be severe enough for him to be gone for 6 months. Sorry to disappoint.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I wouldn't be glad to see Viciedo go on the DL, for and extended period of time. However, if he did, waiting to sign Sizemore would be my preferred option, providing of course that he were healthy, and ready in June. What would you recommend the Sox do, if Viciedo does indeed miss most of the season?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Perhaps you misunderstood. I wouldn't be glad to see Viciedo go on the DL, for and extended period of time. However, if he did, waiting to sign Sizemore would be my preferred option, providing of course that he were healthy, and ready in June. What would you recommend the Sox do, if Viciedo does indeed miss most of the season?

Find someone who can play now and regularly rather than a few games 2-3 months from now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
Sizemore will be ready to play in June and then ready to go back on the DL in June

That's very clever, but is it really fair? Sizemore had over 700 plate appearances in each of his first 4 years with Cleveland.

In fact, he had a 382 consecutive games played streak during that time.

Isn't possible that he just had a freaky spate of injuries?

First he pulled a groin muscle, then he had surgery on his lower abdomen to repair a hernia that was related to the groin injury.

The elbow and knee injuries were to the bones I believe. He did play with reckless abandon, and perhaps that accounted for some of

the injuries.

In any case, if you believe that he is not capable of staying healthy, then I understand why you wouldn't consider him as a viable solution

to this team's lack of a left handed, middle of the order, hitter.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
If it's serious, it's can easily take a year or years to get over...I know Harrelson's documented this before on numerous occasions. Coming back too quickly is the worst thing you can do, because of the fragility of that part of that area of the body, and the impossibility of protecting it. (This injury, a soft tissue heel contusion/bruise and kidney stones, far and away the three worst physical problems you can go through short of cancer/leukemia/life-threatening ones).

It is the kind of injury, unless you've experienced it yourself, you can't possibly imagine how sensitive and how easy it is to reinjure with just the slightest twinge or violent movement that comes from swinging a bat/racquet/club, or just a quick movement, like jumping upwards to catch a ball.

Hopefully with Dayan is was more of a "twinge" and not a full tear or pull, so to speak.

It won't be that long. Even with severe ones he'll be ready to play in 8 weeks. He'll need to do a rehab stint in the minors but it won't be one that will last past the All Star break unless he re-injures it.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
That's very clever, but is it really fair? Sizemore had over 700 plate appearances in each of his first 4 years with Cleveland.

In fact, he had a 382 consecutive games played streak during that time.

Isn't possible that he just had a freaky spate of injuries?

First he pulled a groin muscle, then he had surgery on his lower abdomen to repair a hernia that was related to the groin injury.

The elbow and knee injuries were to the bones I believe. He did play with reckless abandon, and perhaps that accounted for some of

the injuries.

In any case, if you believe that he is not capable of staying healthy, then I understand why you wouldn't consider him as a viable solution

to this team's lack of a left handed, middle of the order, hitter.

And then he didn't play last year due to injury, and now he's not going to be ready until June. That's 4 and a half years of being too injured to play baseball.

Beyond that, signing him and then inserting him immediately into the cleanup spot?

Sizemore in his last 988 PA's - .234/.314/.413/.728, 28 homers

Sizemore in his last 435 PA's - .220/.280/.379/.659, 10 homers

Oh, and he hasn't played since September of 2011 - that's a full year and a half of having not played a game of baseball. There's going to be an incredibly long adjustment period before he is even close to being back. He'll be ready to play in June, but who knows how long he'll take to get back into game shape? ASSUMING 100% HEALTH, it'd be asking to much to expect him back any time before the All-Star Break. And then you have to hope he doesn't put up a .660 OPS upon getting back.

No, Sizemore does not make sense and never will make sense.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
If this is a muscle tear, or a pull, Viciedo would likely go on the D.L., for an extended period.

Then maybe my wish for the Sox to sign Grady Sizemore, for the second half, might come true. I know that many on this board

think that he is finished, but at 30, I would think that he would still be an offensive force.

LF de Aza

2B Keppinger

RF Rios

CF Sizemore

1B Konerko

SS Ramirez

DH Dunn

C Flowers

3B Gillaspie

Great defensive outfield, improved OBP, better balance of right and left handed hitters, and more speed.

Enough with the Sizemore talk already. It isn't going to happen. The guy can not stay healthy and when he actually has played the last few years he has been absolute garbage. Not only do you want to sign him, but you want him to be our everyday starting center fielder and our CLEAN UP HITTER. Give me a f***ing break.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)

LF de Aza

2B Keppinger

RF Rios

CF Sizemore

1B Konerko

SS Ramirez

DH Dunn

C Flowers

3B Gillaspie

Not this s*** again...

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
I mentioned this last night, but the most realistic acquisition would be Casper Wells. He was DFA'd 4 days ago, and would provide a much needed righty bat in the outfield if Viciedo is out.

I actually really like the idea of Casper Wells

Ok. I give up. I'll just accept your assertions that Grady Sizemore is not a viable option, and that he won't be a factor for any team in 2013.

Please suggest someone to take Viciedo's place, if he is out for any extended length of time.

While you're at it, it might be a good idea to find a left handed hitter, instead of yet another one who hits right handed.

Moreover, it would really be great to find someone who could bat in the middle of the order.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Ok. I give up. I'll just accept your assertions that Grady Sizemore is not a viable option, and that he won't be a factor for any team in 2013.

Please suggest someone to take Viciedo's place, if he is out for any extended length of time.

While you're at it, it might be a good idea to find a left handed hitter, instead of yet another one who hits right handed.

Moreover, it would really be great to find someone who could bat in the middle of the order.

Realistically, it isn't going to happen. We are looking at Danks or Wise to play extended time if Viciedo is out for a while. At this time of the season, teams aren't dealing stud bats. That is deadline and off-season type stuff.