Gavin Floyd to DL - Out 14-19 months for TJ Surgery

Balta1701

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to sound like the injury could be worse than originally thought...he could be transferred to the 60-day DL

Sale's second consecutive victory boosts Sox hopes in the wake of Floyd's right elbow strain. According to a source, Floyd is seeking multiple opinions.

The biggest fear is that further diagnosis could reveal an ulnar collateral ligament tear that may require lengthy rest, or surgery that would end his year and his association with the Sox after seven seasons....

Floyd could be transferred from the 15-day DL to the 60-day list to open a spot on the 40-man roster. That could allow the Sox to pursue a left-handed reliever or promote one of their minor league relievers currently not on the 40-man.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
Honestly, I think our rotation will be stronger with Santiago instead of Floyd.

The only thing that sucks IMO is that we now have $10M of dead payroll that will be difficult to move.

If he is on the DL for any length of time, insurance will cover most of the money.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Good point, but how quickly can we collect it? I'm guessing we won't see that money until the season is over.

If he is on the DL he gets worker's compensation pay which usually comes from the insurance company. It varies by insurance company on how quickly the reimburse.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
If he is on the DL for any length of time, insurance will cover most of the money.

You never hear about insurance covering players' salary. If teams do recoup some of that salary, they sure as hell don't let their fanbase know as much, they prefer to play the "Woe is us" card.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
You never hear about insurance covering players' salary. If teams do recoup some of that salary, they sure as hell don't let their fanbase know as much, they prefer to play the "Woe is us" card.

You heard about it a lot with Peavy's last deal.

This one hurts because I really felt the Sox should have dealt Floyd this offseason. I've always been a big fan of Floyd's talent, but I feel they could have added a little more to the team with his $9.5 freed up and any prospect they would have brought in would have been worth it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 05:44 AM)
Honestly, I think our rotation will be stronger with Santiago instead of Floyd.

The only thing that sucks IMO is that we now have $10M of dead payroll that will be difficult to move.

crazytown.

floyd is a good pitcher. i don't know why our fanbase hates him so much.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
This one hurts because I really felt the Sox should have dealt Floyd this offseason. I've always been a big fan of Floyd's talent, but I feel they could have added a little more to the team with his $9.5 freed up and any prospect they would have brought in would have been worth it.

If he does have to get TJ surgery, it makes you wonder how this injury is different than the one he had last year. With that said, it would suck to lose a possible trade chip but at least his contract is up after this season. I'm sure Theo will just sign him in the offseason now to a 1-year deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
That's honestly the first time I had ever heard about it.

I was always under the impression that insurance only kicked in if the player missed the whole season. However, over the last year or so, it seems like that isn't accurate.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
I was always under the impression that insurance only kicked in if the player missed the whole season. However, over the last year or so, it seems like that isn't accurate.

I still think insurance is the secret reason DRose isn't playing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
People seem to think that 30-start, 4.00-4.25 ERA (in the AL) starters grow on trees or something.

You pretty much know by now what you'll get from Floyd over the course of the season. If the Sox aren't going to be in contention, I have no problem seeing what Santiago can give you as a starter for a full year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
You pretty much know by now what you'll get from Floyd over the course of the season. If the Sox aren't going to be in contention, I have no problem seeing what Santiago can give you as a starter for a full year.

If you are out of contention, I absolutely agree. But for a contending team, there is nothing wrong with having Gavin towards the middle or back of your rotation. Over the past 5 seasons, he averaged 190 IP, with around a 4.12 ERA. I'd love to see how many starters in the AL could say that over the same time frame, I'm sure it's not a lot. Yet Sox fans seem to think he is Danny Wright.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
If you are out of contention, I absolutely agree. But for a contending team, there is nothing wrong with having Gavin towards the middle or back of your rotation. Over the past 5 seasons, he averaged 190 IP, with around a 4.12 ERA. I'd love to see how many starters in the AL could say that over the same time frame, I'm sure it's not a lot. Yet Sox fans seem to think he is Danny Wright.

If I thought the Sox could contend this year and/or Gavin would have a lot of trade value at the deadline, I think I'd be a lot more upset with the news.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
crazytown.

floyd is a good pitcher. i don't know why our fanbase hates him so much.

I don't hate Floyd and have argued offseason after offseason that he is a great #4 starter on a championship team.

I just think Santiago will be equally good and possibly better. Plus Floyd wasn't coming back next year, so getting a look at Santiago now could help us next year and further down the road.