Tyler Flowers

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 11, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
when I said it's not going to happen, I meant it's not going to happen that Flowers becomes a competent big-league catcher.

But I'm not sure how you can keep trotting a guy out there who leads the league in passed balls and hits less than .180.

Occasional big homers and walks...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 12, 2013 -> 02:20 AM)
Some people here had me convinced he would be half way competent of a starting catcher. LMFAO, I am dumb.

I was hopeful when he homered on Opening Day. I need to stop thinking Opening Day means anything.

Even if Flowers "succeeded" this year it was pretty obvious that he wouldn't be hitting much higher than .220-.230...it wasn't rocket science in the off season that this line-up could not withstand that(let alone the .180 he's hitting now). Too not at least bring in a competent veteran back-up to Flowers was a gross miscalculation by our new GM.

I was one of his biggest proponents and I'm completely disappointed. With that said, he needs more time. This team is so unbelievably bad right now that I can't judge anybody. PK has been abysmal. Keppinger makes me yearn for Getz. It's just a s*** show all over the place. Viciedo and Rios are the only 2 guys that look like they've ever seen a baseball. It's f***ing bizarre.

When Pierzynski signed with the Rangers, my Dad was extremely upset. I told him we need to give Flowers a chance. He responded with "Are you kidding, we are stuck with another Ron Karkovice" Moral of the story here is, my old man knows his baseball and I was wrong. Flowers is indeed crap. He would make a decent backup but he has proven to us that he is not a good every day catcher. His defense is well below average and he can't hit water if he jumped out of a boat.

The fact that we have two guys on our starting lineup hitting below .200 is an absolute joke! This team's current standing is a reflection of Hahn pretty much sitting on his hands this past winter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
When Pierzynski signed with the Rangers, my Dad was extremely upset. I told him we need to give Flowers a chance. He responded with "Are you kidding, we are stuck with another Ron Karkovice" Moral of the story here is, my old man knows his baseball and I was wrong. Flowers is indeed crap. He would make a decent backup but he has proven to us that he is not a good every day catcher. His defense is well below average and he can't hit water if he jumped out of a boat.

The fact that we have two guys on our starting lineup hitting below .200 is an absolute joke! This team's current standing is a reflection of Hahn pretty much sitting on his hands this past winter.

So, if we signed AJ, we would be overpaying a veteran, on a bad team, who also happens to be on the DL. Sweet.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)

Karkovice was at least an excellent defensive catcher and could bunt better than almost anyone on the team.

He had some skills.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 11, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
So, if we signed AJ, we would be overpaying a veteran, on a bad team, who also happens to be on the DL. Sweet.

It's not so much keeping AJ or Buehrle, those were no brainers.

It's misjudging the talent behind them, in the case of our current catching issues.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)

It's misjudging the talent behind them, in the case of our current catching issues.

Where are these elite catchers that were available? Flowers was a good prospect. You guys act like everything happens in a vacuum. I can't wait until we get rid of some contracts and want to spend some money and free agents just don't want to play here. What will you guys cry about then? Heads up, free agents have never wanted to play for the second team in the second city.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)

If we had signed AJ, we would still be an under .500 team and would have wasted 2014 testing Flowers. If he is this bad, it's good to know while the team appears to suck.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:02 AM)
Where are these elite catchers that were available? Flowers was a good prospect. You guys act like everything happens in a vacuum. I can't wait until we get rid of some contracts and want to spend some money and free agents just don't want to play here. What will you guys cry about then? Heads up, free agents have never wanted to play for the second team in the second city.

Free agents would pay in Montreal if it meant paying them more money than other teams. Adam Dunn initially wanted to play for the Cubs when he became a free agent, but after they weren't interested, he had no problem in acting like the White Sox was the team he wanted to play for all along.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:04 AM)
If we had signed AJ, we would still be an under .500 team and would have wasted 2014 testing Flowers. If he is this bad, it's good to know while the team appears to suck.

+10000000000000000000000

Catch as catch can: Sox pitchers entered Saturday night's game owning a .230 opponents' batting average (120 of 521) at U.S. Cellular Field.

Manager Robin Ventura also gives credit to his catchers — Tyler Flowers and Hector Giminez — for the success of the pitchers.

"They do a good job of being on task with what the game plan is and getting pitchers to execute," Ventura said. "Any time pitchers do well, there has to be some sort of connection with their catcher, and they are doing a good job."

Mitchell, tribune.com/sports/whitesox

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2013 -> 12:06 AM)
Free agents would pay in Montreal if it meant paying them more money than other teams. Adam Dunn initially wanted to play for the Cubs when he became a free agent, but after they weren't interested, he had no problem in acting like the White Sox was the team he wanted to play for all along.

That's absolute bulls***. The Sox have tried to sign FA's and been successful few times. They've even tried to overpay. (Hunter)

You guys look at every team as if they're equal, and they're not. One of the reason I liked KW was that he understood that he had to be unorthodox and aggressive to win here. It's not a coincidence that he's a Raiders fan. He had some Al Davis in him. Yeah, sometimes he took huge risks and struck out, but he always fielded a competitive team that was capable of making noise. He drafted low ceiling/high floor players to fill roster spots and tried to get impact players through trades. It didn't work out, but I get his philosophy and think it was a good one. All teams aren't created equal, and the Sox aren't an attractive organization. That's the reality. All things equal, free agents don't want to play on the south side.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 11, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Hey, it's alright, I really thought he's be a Mike Napoli-lite. A lot of us are big dummies right now.

That was me too

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)

Well said

I don't know about you guys but tonight was the low point as far as I'm concerned. Hawk says they can't play any worse, but I'm starting to doubt they'll play any better. Keppinger and Dunn...just wow.