White Sox draft day one thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
Would the White Sox dare take Manaea at 55 and hope Don Cooper can sell him on the Sox?

If he goes in the 2nd round, he's giving up SO much money if he could come back and prove himself healthy next year.

The Sox likely can't afford Manaea. He also has Boras and the leverage to return to school.

from bleacherreport.com (will be interesting to see how correct this report is two or three years from now....2B or CF would seem more likely destinations from everything we're seeing)

mage courtesy of East Central Community College

Player: Tim Anderson

Drafted by: Chicago White Sox (No. 17 Overall)

Position: SS

DOB: 6/23/1993 (Age: 19)

Height/Weight: 6'1"/180 lbs

Bats/Throws: R/R

School: East Central Community College (Decatur, Miss.)

Previously Drafted: Never drafted

Background

One of the few true shortstops in this draft, Tim Anderson isn't getting a ton of pre-draft hype simply because it is hard for casual fans to take a look at him. He plays at a small community college in Mississippi, which also makes him incredibly volatile.

When you draft a college player, you hope to draft someone with polish and experience against advanced stuff. Anderson really doesn't fall into either category simply because he hasn't been properly tested. He has the package of skills to play shortstop in the big leagues, but there is a much higher risk with him than a typical college-aged player.

Full Scouting Report

Note: Numerical scores are on the conventional 20-80 scouting scale, where 50 is average, with the current score first and projected score second.

Hitting: 40/50

Overall hit tool and approach will need refinement; line-drive, contact swing without a ton of muscle or load limits power projection; quick wrists get head through zone; doesn't have great bat speed, but solid enough; lack of experience against top-tier college stuff puts him behind; likely won't be better than average in big leagues.

Power: 35/50

Present swing doesn't lend for much power against professional pitching; very little load, no uppercut, wiry frame; small adjustments with hands and legs should lead to more solid power; plus-plus speed and athleticism could lead to a lot of extra-base hits; should have better-than-average shortstop pop at peak.

Plate Discipline: 30/50

Biggest weakness will be adjusting to top-tier pitching; has bat speed to hit plus velocity; off-speed stuff is biggest problem; advanced stuff has the potential to carve him up until he adjusts; will depend on ability to put the ball in play to keep average and OBP up in the beginning; could take two full seasons before he gets comfortable against quality stuff.

Speed: 60/65

Very quick out of the box and on the field; capable of legging out infield singles hit hard to the right side of the field; body has already filled out, so top speed isn't going to diminish anytime soon; has the instincts and feel for baserunning that helps speed play up.

Defense: 45/55

Fringy range with below-average footwork and instincts; ability to use speed makes up for deficiencies right now; needs to position himself better to get better reads off the bat; average arm strength makes it difficult to throw from the hole; quicker release and repetitions could make him average or better in the big leagues.

Arm: 50/50

Average arm strength; transfer from glove and release are solid, but overall velocity leaves plenty to be desired; chance lack of arm necessitates move to second base or center field, with the latter maximizing his overall skill set; with better positioning, could stay at short in pro ball.

MLB Player Comparison: Orlando Hudson/Brandon Phillips

Projection: Average starting shortstop on first-division team.

MLB ETA: 2016

Chances of Signing: 85%

The combination of talent and ability to stay at shortstop, which is a big weakness in this draft class, as well as the fact that Anderson probably won't be able to improve his stock anymore than he has in the last year, make him a near-lock to sign with a drafting team.

It is telling how much his tools translate at the next level, considering the level of competition Anderson is facing at East Central, that he would be in the mix for a first-round pick leading up to draft day. That is not something you want to mess with.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
Don't forget he had a great year last year, too. And he's still hitting bombs -- he's 19 and struggling with the one thing everyone knew he would need to work on.

I couldn't agree more. A guy like Hawkins probably hasn't had to deal failure very often, so I'm guessing he's going to be a bit hesitant to make adjustments initially. That doesn't mean he's not capable of doing so. The physical tools are elite and we all saw what he did last year. I still think he's our top prospect.

I would probably go with this personally for our top 5:

1) Courtney Hawkins

2) Erik Johnson

3) Tim Anderson

4) Trayce Thompson

5) Micah Johnson (if plays well at A+ upon promotion)

I do think one of Beck, Snodgress, Jaye, & Bassitt could get hot and break into the top 5 though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
So who are you focused on for the Sox 2nd round pick? Anyone in particular?

Depends who's still around. I wouldn't be surprised if they go after a solid college pitching prospect after grabbing the raw toolsy youngin. Maybe a pick a la Erik Johnson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
Would the White Sox dare take Manaea at 55 and hope Don Cooper can sell him on the Sox?

If he goes in the 2nd round, he's giving up SO much money if he could come back and prove himself healthy next year.

Looks like the Royals are going to try to overslot him or Stanek.

From Al Skorupa at a FanGraphs chat:

Tim Anderson is the best Juco player this year. LOT of helium all Spring. He's likely to stick at short. Toolsy and athletic.

Bat has not been tested against premium velocity or advanced competition.

I'm of the opinion that JuCo guys are consistently underrated. Great job by ChiSox to trust their talent evaluators enough to pop Anderson here.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:57 AM)
Depends who's still around. I wouldn't be surprised if they go after a solid college pitching prospect after grabbing the raw toolsy youngin. Maybe a pick a la Erik Johnson.

Wahl from Ole Miss would be a nice pick

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
Hindsight is 20-20 champ.

Named C-USA Pitcher of the Year and Male Athlete of the Year... consensus first-team all-American by Louisville Slugger, Baseball America and the NCBWA... finalist for the Brooks Wallace, the Xanthus-Dick Howser and Roger Clemens awards... appeared in 19 games, making 16 starts... had a record breaking season in which he set new season highs in wins (15), innings pitched (117) and strikeouts (151)... 15 wins was tied for tops in the nation... ranked third in the nation with a 1.62 ERA... was 10th in the nation averaging 11.6 strikeouts per nine innings... had five complete games to go along with one complete-game shut out and four combined shutouts... held opponents to a conference-low .191 batting average... surrendered just 35 walks, 83 hits and 28 runs on the season..

I used to follow the draft fairly closely and hated both those picks at the time. I don't like using 1st rounders on players with limited upside.

Also, Broadway had some last-minute hype going into his draft (despite average stuff), but McCulloch was just an absolute terrible pick and everyone agreed the second it was made.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
I couldn't agree more. A guy like Hawkins probably hasn't had to deal failure very often, so I'm guessing he's going to be a bit hesitant to make adjustments initially. That doesn't mean he's not capable of doing so. The physical tools are elite and we all saw what he did last year. I still think he's our top prospect.

I would probably go with this personally for our top 5:

1) Courtney Hawkins

2) Erik Johnson

3) Tim Anderson

4) Trayce Thompson

5) Micah Johnson (if plays well at A+ upon promotion)

I do think one of Beck, Snodgress, Jaye, & Bassitt could get hot and break into the top 5 though.

Hawkins has the ability to be something closer to a superstar, if everything clicks.

With Anderson, he's never going to hit more than 15-18 homers...so you have to go with Hawkins at #1 unless he completely falls apart and goes down to Kanny.

There's still a LOT of time left to play this season and the AFL to re-establish himself.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:03 AM)
Hawkins has the ability to be something closer to a superstar, if everything clicks.

With Anderson, he's never going to hit more than 15 homers...so you have to go with Hawkins at #1 unless he completely falls apart and goes down to Kanny.

There's still a LOT of time left to play this season and the AFL to re-establish himself.

Isn't it a little too early to make any prediction about him?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
Isn't it a little too early to make any prediction about him?

Just basing it on his frame and projections.

Yeah, it's early....just like all the scouts who have deemed him a 2B or CFer before he's played a day of professional baseball.

It's hard to tell with the transition to wood bats as well...I'm sure Anderson was never in the Cape Cod League.

You could see low 20's for homer numbers...but it's hard to call him someone you would count on hitting 30-40 homers per season like Hawkins (when drafted and still today).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Who would be 4 and 5 now?

Would be hard to choose anyone that's standing out....I would guess, Thompson?

Daniel Webb? Snodgress? Sanchez still?

You certainly can't argue Beck's moved up significantly....he should be near the back end of the Top 10.

I like Thompson and Sanchez for those spots. Snodgress and Beck are right behind for me. I'm not putting Micah Johnson in the top tier until he moves up and continues to hit.