You're Hahn, who are you looking to trade first?

caulfield12

Pick the player you think it's important to move first  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which player has the most value now but is likely to lose some

• Jesse Crain
    • Matt Thornton
    • Matt Lindstrom
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Alex Rios
    • Erik Johnson
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Conor Gillaspie
    • Alejandro DeAza
    • Dylan Axelrod

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
I don't see any reason to believe Reed's ever going to be a truly dominant closer.

He'll have a 75-80-85% save conversion rate, but he's unlikely to be a Top 5-7 guy.

Would be glad to revisit this prediction in 5 years....just not seeing it.

If you get absolutely bowled over by an offer, there's no real reason not to take it at this point. But that's highly unlikely to happen.

His save %age was 88% last year and is 91% this year so far.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
I would definitely trade them Reed for Castellanos or Garcia. Not going to happen though.

Are people still really high on Avisail Garcia? He's been moved up and down a lot and hasn't stuck despite opportunities, and my brain was starting to put him in the "Viciedo" mode of either needing a long time to find it or maybe never finding it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Are people still really high on Avisail Garcia? He's been moved up and down a lot and hasn't stuck despite opportunities, and my brain was starting to put him in the "Viciedo" mode of either needing a long time to find it or maybe never finding it.

He has all the physical tools. Sometimes, they even play him in CF.

Great arm strength, can run but not a pure base stealer. Very strong fielder.

The main question is about when/if he'll develop the power game. Because he looks like a Baby Miggy, you can't even tell them apart when they're walking side by side.

And where is Castellanos going to play? If they would trade him for Reed, you take it and don't look back. Gillaspie could always be shifted to 1B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
Gillaspie would be a terrible everyday 1B. He's still a question mark at 3B because of his bat, so I don't know how you think he's a 1B option.

If the Sox somehow acquire a stud 3B prospect, Conor moves to the bench or is traded.

Well, if you have to choose between Avisail Garcia and Castellanos, you take Castellanos and worry about where you play Gillaspie later.

He's a good fielder, LH, good stroke, he would be poor man's Mark Grace at 1B and maybe ideally he's suited for the bench on a very good team, but it's not like Viciedo, Black or Wilkins are great options at first either.

I don't see why Kendrys Morales would want to come here...just don't see the White Sox in a huge bidding war for him coming off this season.

More likely, we'll end up with someone like Adam Lind or Carlos Pena.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
Well, if you have to choose between Avisail Garcia and Castellanos, you take Castellanos and worry about where you play Gillaspie later.

He's a good fielder, LH, good stroke, he would be poor man's Mark Grace at 1B and maybe ideally he's suited for the bench on a very good team, but it's not like Viciedo, Black or Wilkins are great options at first either.

I don't see why Kendrys Morales would want to come here...just don't see the White Sox in a huge bidding war for him coming off this season.

More likely, we'll end up with someone like Adam Lind or Carlos Pena.

Half a season of Crain is not getting you Castellanos.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/forget-jona...et-jesse-crain/

Really good article on Crain's improvements with the White Sox under Cooper, and why he's more valuable to other teams (see Tigers) than someone like Jonathan Papelbon.

They should trade him and then bring him back as a starter in 2014, haha.

Not often you have a reliever with three above-average pitches.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
If you are going to be bad for 5 years, he is the one who makes most sense to move.

They have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

There's just too many examples in recent years where those 2-3-4 prospects for one star player deals that didn't turn out well.

Sale's the closest thing we have to a superstar in our organization, and if we trade him, we're no different than the Marlins trading Mike Stanton.

If that's the case, we might as well go down to a $30-40-50 million roster and start taking the subsidies from the city of Chicago that guarantee 1.2 million in attendance and get 100% behind a rebuild.

The thing is...nobody wants to go out to the park and see this current team anyway, well, maybe a few sentimental Paulie fans who want to say goodbye to the franchise player for the last decade. They would arguably be more profitable if they lopped off $50-60 million from payroll.

I actually think a lot of fans would get more enjoyment out of banishing half of the current starting line-up to the Phantom Zone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/forget-jona...et-jesse-crain/

Really good article on Crain's improvements with the White Sox under Cooper, and why he's more valuable to other teams (see Tigers) than someone like Jonathan Papelbon.

They should trade him and then bring him back as a starter in 2014, haha.

Not often you have a reliever with three above-average pitches.

Bobby Jenks... and weren't the Red Sox going to try that?

I'd be quite happy to trade Reed + Crain together to the Tigers if we're getting Garcia back. And I agree, save % or not, Reed IMO is an average MLB closer and very tradable.

Why is it that every time I type "tradable" it underlines the word as if it's not really a word? I searched google, and yes, this is a word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tradable

trade (trd)

n.

1. The business of buying and selling commodities; commerce. See Synonyms at business.

2. The people working in or associated with a business or industry: a textile-exporting publication for the trade.

3. The customers of a specified business or industry; clientele.

4. The act or an instance of buying or selling; transaction.

5. An exchange of one thing for another.

6. An occupation, especially one requiring skilled labor; craft: the building trades, including carpentry, masonry, plumbing, and electrical installation.

7. The trade winds. Often used in the plural with the.

v. trad·ed, trad·ing, trades

v.intr.

1. To engage in buying and selling for profit.

2. To make an exchange of one thing for another.

3. To be offered for sale: Stocks traded at lower prices this morning.

4. To shop or buy regularly: trades at the local supermarket.

v.tr.

1. To give in exchange for something else: trade farm products for manufactured goods; will trade my ticket for yours.

2. To buy and sell (stock, for example).

3. To pass back and forth: We traded jokes.

adj.

1. Of or relating to trade or commerce.

2. Relating to, used by, or serving a particular trade: a trade magazine.

3. Of or relating to books that are primarily published to be sold commercially, as in bookstores.

Phrasal Verbs:

trade down

To trade something in for something else of lower value or price: bought a new, smaller car, trading the old one down for economy.

trade in

To surrender or sell (an old or used item), using the proceeds as partial payment on a new purchase.

trade on

To put to calculated and often unscrupulous advantage; exploit: children of celebrities who trade on their family names.

trade up

To trade something in for something else of greater value or price: The value of our house soared, enabling us to trade up to a larger place.

[Middle English, course, from Middle Low German.]

trada·ble, tradea·ble adj.

f***in boom

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
They have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

There's just too many examples in recent years where those 2-3-4 prospects for one star player deals that didn't turn out well.

Sale's the closest thing we have to a superstar in our organization, and if we trade him, we're no different than the Marlins trading Mike Stanton.

If that's the case, we might as well go down to a $30-40-50 million roster and start taking the subsidies from the city of Chicago that guarantee 1.2 million in attendance and get 100% behind a rebuild.

The thing is...nobody wants to go out to the park and see this current team anyway, well, maybe a few sentimental Paulie fans who want to say goodbye to the franchise player for the last decade. They would arguably be more profitable if they lopped off $50-60 million from payroll.

I actually think a lot of fans would get more enjoyment out of banishing half of the current starting line-up to the Phantom Zone.

That is what people are suggestimg. Thinking drafting in the top 10 is a guarantee to get good players is hogwash. The Sox drafted Aaron Poreda 25th in the first round in 2007. Do you know that 4 of the first 8 players selected in that draft have lower career WARS than Poreda?

Many here think Gordon Beckham is a bust. He was the Sox pick in 2008. Did you know of the first 46 selections of that draft only Buster Posey and Brett Lawrie have highrt career WARS than Beckham. Losing really sucks. To think it pays off down the line is a hope not anywhere near a guarantee.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
If you are going to be bad for 5 years, he is the one who makes most sense to move.

I don't disagree....but he's literally the only guy on the team that people will actually come to see anymore. You'd maximize apathy within the fan base and depress ticket sales even more.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
I don't disagree....but he's literally the only guy on the team that people will actually come to see anymore. You'd maximize apathy within the fan base and depress ticket sales even more.

The only thing being the philosophical difference between having a superstar everyday player (say, Puig....if he continues to evolve) and a starting pitcher who only can affect 32-35 games per season.

With our offense being in the shape it is, you'd be very tempted...but there's almost no chance of a 1 for 1 trade for a Sale....it would be a load of prospects, and probably end up going down like Maybin and Miller to the Marlins for Cabrera.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
The only thing being the philosophical difference between having a superstar everyday player (say, Puig....if he continues to evolve) and a starting pitcher who only can affect 32-35 games per season.

With our offense being in the shape it is, you'd be very tempted...but there's almost no chance of a 1 for 1 trade for a Sale....it would be a load of prospects, and probably end up going to like Maybin and Miller to the Marlins for Cabrera.

Exactly why there is no prospect or set of them I'd deal sale for.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
If the Cardinals want to give you Taveras, Adams, Carlos Martinez, Wong and Rosenthal for Sale and Alexei, I would say yes

The problem is that a trade like that might get you closer to respectability or a .500 record, but you have to shoot for the stars if you're talking Sale trade partners. The biggest need we have is for a franchise superstar and cornerstone...the type of player that every fan wants to buy their jersey.

Unless you're thinking 2-3 moves ahead and are going to package all those prospects for a specific player on another team, like a Mike Stanton...and you can't pull off a trade directly with the Marlins with the system that you have.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 02:40 AM)
The problem is that a trade like that might get you closer to respectability or a .500 record, but you have to shoot for the stars if you're talking Sale trade partners. The biggest need we have is for a franchise superstar and cornerstone...the type of player that every fan wants to buy their jersey.

Unless you're thinking 2-3 moves ahead and are going to package all those prospects for a specific player on another team, like a Mike Stanton...and you can't pull off a trade directly with the Marlins with the system that you have.

Taveras has superstar potential

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)

personally I think a Sale for Stanton trade would be pointless. You're trading one franchise player for another on opposite sides of the ball.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
personally I think a Sale for Stanton trade would be pointless. You're trading one franchise player for another on opposite sides of the ball.

The only argument might be fans would prefer to see offense compared to pitching.

Now, we all know you need pitching and defense...but if you're looking at it from a revenue/business standpoint, it's difficult to prove a huge bump in attendance for Sale starts. (The other argument would be health, that Sale's more likely to go down to major surgery at some point than an everyday player, but nobody can be sure or project with 100% accuracy).

For example, in Kansas City, there was always a jump of 3-5000 for Greinke starts...or, another example, Halladay in his prime for the Blue Jays when they were consistently finishing at the bottom of the standings.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
If the Cardinals want to give you Taveras, Adams, Carlos Martinez, Wong and Rosenthal for Sale and Alexei, I would say yes

Wait a year and a half & you'll be able to get half that list for a song.

I know it was ages and ages ago now, but anyone remember that Michael Pineda-Jesus Montero swap? Yeah that was gangbusters. You just don't trade Sale when you have him on a contract like this. The only reason you'd deal him is if you don't want to give him 5+ years at 25M+ per a ways down the line, but on a deal like he's on now, that's way the hell down the line.