NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
I just don't know if I can enjoy a league where the refs decide games las often as nba refs do.

NCAA refs do a worse job, but it is much more related to them being incompetent and so it can go both ways at random at times.

Butler had a hell of a game.

Boozer was absolutely owning as well.

It's too bad literally nobody else showed up.

Losing Butler and Deng to early foul trouble really f***ed the Bulls. Oh well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Jake, you need to settle down and go rub one out or something. I'm with you on some calls but poor shooting did them in more than anything.

They'll be fine. 2nd quarter the difference.

Yup, there were some frustrating calls but Miami was just the much better team tonight.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Butler had a hell of a game.

Boozer was absolutely owning as well.

It's too bad literally nobody else showed up.

Losing Butler and Deng to early foul trouble really f***ed the Bulls. Oh well.

Butler is going to keep getting better, no doubt in my mind. It'd be so damn nice if Boozer could consistently score against Miami but I have no reason to believe that's going to happen.

I think there are quite a few reasons to be optimistic moving forward. Jimmy looked great as we had hoped. Dunleavy had a bad few minutes but then he started to really contribute. You can see the difference between him and the other bench scorers we've had because he is a far more complete player than any of them. I'm happy to sacrifice a little shooting talent (though I'm not sure we have) for a guy that is smart, big, and plays a little D to go along with a little bit of ball-handling skills and such on the other end.

Noah had a very bad game, will be interesting to see what's up with that. Thibs definitely gave up on him. He's a big piece of our usual advantage over the Heat because they don't have anybody like him. I'm not sure what's up with Derrick, other than I now know that the preseason is completely useless.

Luol? f*** if I know what was up with him in this game. Shot was completely broke, but he played tough on LeBron so it wasn't as bad on the whole as it will look in the box score.

Snell got his first taste of pressure, so let's hope he has a little more poise next time out.

We leaned on Hinrich a lot tonight and I hope we don't normally have to do that. The offense runs really well with him in there...but he's just not very good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
Butler is going to keep getting better, no doubt in my mind. It'd be so damn nice if Boozer could consistently score against Miami but I have no reason to believe that's going to happen.

It depends on who's on him. He absolutely dominated Anderson and Haslem tonight.

And Butler is going to be the difference maker this year, that's for sure.

If he turns into a guy who'll get you 15-17 a night while shooting efficiently with great defense, then I think I like the chances of the Bulls winning it all. Of course, that's assuming Rose stays healthy and returns to form.

And I'm just putting this out there. I said that Butler reminded me a lot of Leonard last year. Now I'm thinking his ceiling is last year's version of Paul George.

Edited by chw42

Rose looked pretty bad, but that was a really tough matchup for him to start the season with. It's also pretty obvious that this team is lacking chemistry right now, especially offensively, but I expect that to get better.

It was a game where Deng and Butler picked up 3 very early fouls, Rose played his first real game in a long time, Noah was clearly out of game shape, and guys like Dunleavy and Snell played their first game with a new team. This while playing against the defending champs. It was the perfect storm for a s***-show.

There isn't much to take from this game except that Jimmy Butler looks pretty legit. We'll know more in the future.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Jake, you need to settle down and go rub one out or something. I'm with you on some calls but poor shooting did them in more than anything.

They'll be fine. 2nd quarter the difference.

They were ice cold a few min into the game, nothing could have stopped a loss there.

The calls were really questionable at times though. Mario Chalmers shouldnt get Jordan-esqe calls against Rose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
They were ice cold a few min into the game, nothing could have stopped a loss there.

The calls were really questionable at times though. Mario Chalmers shouldnt get Jordan-esqe calls against Rose.

Rose needs to learn to do this. He's old school, I get it. He's going to take the physicality. But be a whiney b****/flopper like Lebron, Wade and Chalmers. That's the only way to get calls anymore. Unless you exaggerate, you're not getting a call in the lane as a guard.

Sadly the bad calls against Deng/Butler at the beginning of the game changed everything. Bulls were basically playing 2 on 5 for the stretch they went 31-5. No Deng, no Butler, and an 80% Noah is a recipe for disaster. Add in the fact that they couldn't hit a shot to save their life (open shots too), and well, this should have been the 25 point blowout out it was. At least they made the end a little interesting.

I'm sad about it. I wanted a statement game. But the reality is even a statement win from the Bulls means jack s*** right now. The Bulls also lost the first game of the season in 2010 against the Thunder and they ended up in the ECF.

I just wonder if come the all-star break they don't make a move to get someone like Love. Deng, Boozer and Mirotic or the Charlotte pick. Would Minnesota turn that down?

You know what, maybe we shouldn't blame the refs. It very well might be the Bulls' fault. Refs are humans and it might be necessary to be on their ass if you want to get the benefit of the doubt on calls. I think talking to the refs non-stop is annoying, but if that evens things out then so be it.

The one plus of B1G basketball, though they tend to lean to the home team, is they really get to play ball. I wish the NBA let the guys play a more physical game. I'd rather see actual fouls not get called than non-fouls being called fouls. The NBA refs will sometimes let actual fouls go, but it's pretty hit or miss and depends on the player. Lots of non-contact, little contact plays get called, though.

In other news, here's hoping Rose/Noah/Deng figure things out before I start drinking and posting again

The call that is totally on the refs is the bailout call. I wish that would be stricken from the game. If as an offensive player, you jump into a defender who is in position, or basically throw up a prayer and make contact doing so, you shouldn't get bailed out. Chalmers did that to Rose and got the call. Lebron and Wade do it constantly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
Just switch to the Hawks next time. It was nice watching them score and score and score.

Next time, I'll just put in the 2005 WS DVD and cry myself to sleep

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
The season's not over, but it will end with Miami winning 3 in a row. I have very little hesitation saying that.

I don't see the Bulls winning against the Heat in the playoffs, but saying the Bulls aren't very good was pretty hilarious.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Bulls need to pack it in and play for the draft pick. DRose should sit out until next season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
Thibs needs to go.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)
Rose is clearly not 110%.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
Did he play any preseason games? I am thinking he'll be OK once he gets up to speed. How long before he gets hurt again is the big question.

Apparently trolling PHT wasn't working anymore?

I'm reminding myself or what Bulls looked like in Nov/Dec of last year.

Some thoughts: I think I have a post from last year saying Bellinelli was one of the worst bball players I'd seen. He was truly awful for the first month. And it reminded me how we all thought last years bench would be terrible, only to be lamenting in May how we were going to replace them.

Dunleavy I hope is going thru same struggles that Bellinelli went through and will come out better for it.

Snell - I just really haven't seen anything from him yet to get excited about. I was pumped about Butler from get-go.

Trapping Rose - This was the old GSW treatment that frustrated the hell out of Rose. It blows my mind it can work for whole game, in these cases Hinrich and Jimmy have to be there for the help and they are good enough passers to HIT that forward that's free. If you can hit Noah/Boozer, they are great passers with each other and it should provide 6-8 pts in easy buckets that should prevent that from happening. Bulls need to eliminate this from other teams repertoire.

Lastly - team will need time to play together. Heat played a hell of a game and had their role players on fire from 3. They are still unbeatable IMO when Battier is on (which seems to be any game 7, dude has some intangibles).

I know no one cares about my fantasy team but oh well...How does this look...

Rubio

K. Thompson

Conley

Lebron

Favors

Faried

Monroe

McGee

Oladipo

Afflalo

Bench-Granger, MKG, Kaman.

I feel like I did really well but I don't follow basketball as much as I should....Is there any category I should target?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
I know no one cares about my fantasy team but oh well...How does this look...

Rubio

K. Thompson

Conley

Lebron

Favors

Faried

Monroe

McGee

Oladipo

Afflalo

Bench-Granger, MKG, Kaman.

I feel like I did really well but I don't follow basketball as much as I should....Is there any category I should target?

My feeling from eyeballing that is that you'll need some help with big man stats like boards, FG%, blocks, turnovers.