Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
Was he hurt this year? Because his numbers were way down from 2012 and darn near Gillaspie-like.

On February 8, 2013, Freese and the Cardinals reached agreement on a one-year contract, avoiding arbitration. This was the first season Freese was arbitration-eligible and when filing he had requested a 2013 salary of $3.75 million. The Cardinals counter-offered $2.4 million.[33] After suffering a back injury in spring training and starting the 2013 season on the disabled list, Freese struggled at the plate for much of the first six weeks of the season, having only four RBIs by mid-May.[34] However, on May 17, Freese began a twenty-game hitting streak, the longest of any MLB player to that point in the 2013 season. The streak ended on June 12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the argument that he's back and not that his 29 year old season was a peak season is a 21 game hitting streak?

That's cute.

His OPS in the first half was .726, his OPS in the 2nd half when he should have been recovered was .714. Are we talking nagging back injury for a 3b territory here? Because I have zero interest in a 30 year old 3b with a history of back injuries. We've kinda been through that already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
So the argument that he's back and not that his 29 year old season was a peak season is a 21 game hitting streak?

That's cute.

His OPS in the first half was .726, his OPS in the 2nd half when he should have been recovered was .714. Are we talking nagging back injury for a 3b territory here? Because I have zero interest in a 30 year old 3b with a history of back injuries. We've kinda been through that already.

Cards fans seem to think that there was some luck involved in his 2012 success and 2013 was a more realistic outlook for his future. They are aching to get rid of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)

That's cute.

FWIW I was just answering your question. Like I said in my response to the Sox trading for Davidson I'm fine with giving the Gillepinger platoon another chance. If the Sox can find another LHB somewhere else I'd then be open to getting a RHB at 3B. Maybe some team thinks of Tank highly and will part with a good player while the Sox add a CF who can leadoff then they can move ADA to LF and lower in the lineup.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
FWIW I was just answering your question.

Really you didn't, I have the same question still. You showed me that he was hurt to start the year but the quote actually argued that it wasn't bothering him by the time mid-May rolled around...which leaves me with no explanation for his performance this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Really you didn't, I have the same question still. You showed me that he was hurt to start the year but the quote actually argued that it wasn't bothering him by the time mid-May rolled around...which leaves me with no explanation for his performance this year.

Just took that off his wiki page without investigating further. I actually agree with you. Could have a Joe Crede-esque back injury that will never put him back to his 2012 self.

Been following the forum for a while. First post.

My realistic 2014 lineup.

CF: DeAza (don't see him as a non-tender candidate)

2B: Beckham

RF: Garcia

1B: Abreu

LF: Viciedo

DH: Dunn/possibly PK

3B: Gillaspie/Keppinger

SS: Ramirez

C: Flowers/Phegley/Dioner Navarro

Rotation:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Santiago

4. Someone like Phil Hughes/Johnson

5. Danks

QUOTE (wardo @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 03:12 AM)

Rotation:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Santiago

5. Danks

Welcome!

QUOTE (wardo @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 03:12 AM)

Rotation:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Santiago

5. Danks

Welcome to Soxtalk!

I'm going to assume (and hope) that the Sox sign Salty for the purposes of predicting a lineup. So here goes:

1. De Aza - CF

2. Ramirez - SS

3. Dunn - DH

4. Abreu - 1B

5. Garcia - RF

6. Salty - C (with Phegley or Flowers getting some starts vs. lefties)

7. Viciedo - LF

8. Keppinger/Gillespie - 3B

9. Beckham - 2B

I still think that lineup needs work. I'd love to see an upgrade at 3B and/or 2B.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
This is probably the most likely of the lineups I have seen so far. I just hope we don't put Alexei second. He's such a terrible #2 hitter.

If De Aza, or a preferable new leadoff hitter, can get on at decent clip I think Lexi can be a good #2 hitter. Over the last 3 years he's hit .304/.346/.439 with runners on.

I think it's possible that Robin has looked at that stat and it's the reasoning behind hitting him 3rd.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Everyone hit's a little better when there is runners on and the pitcher is going from the stretch. If De Aza gets on and Ramirez is batting #2 there is almost no chance for ADA to take second. Alexei just goes up there hacking and De Aza can't steal a base. A #2 hitter is suppose to be patient and be able to take the ball to the right side, two things Alexei never does.

Disclaimer: I like Alexei just prefer he'd bat 9th in the order.

Fair enough, but with no one on he's been a .251/.285/.342 hitter the last 3 years. I'd prefer he'd hit somewhere with the opportunity to hit with runners on. Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing him hit 3rd again.

I think our best hope of a good #2 hitter is Semien winning the 2B job.

Maybe a Hannigan for Keppinger swap is in the works. Reds need IF depth and Hannigan is a top flight defender behind the plate and while he had a terrible year at the plate, has a pretty good track record. Defense is the most important characteristic in a pitcher to me given how this team is currently constructed. Keeping Phegley behind him would probably be beneficial in the long run to give him a chance to click on this level.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Fair enough, but with no one on he's been a .251/.285/.342 hitter the last 3 years. I'd prefer he'd hit somewhere with the opportunity to hit with runners on. Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing him hit 3rd again.

I think the problem is that Alexei winds up significantly changing his approach when he's in the #2 slot. His power suddenly seemed to re-appear when he moved down in the order later this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
I think the problem is that Alexei winds up significantly changing his approach when he's in the #2 slot. His power suddenly seemed to re-appear when he moved down in the order later this year.

You're mistaken my friend, it was the other way around actually. 5 of his 6 HRs were in the 2/3 spot.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)

You're crazy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)

Semien to 3B or as the super IF sub. Beckham to 3B if they think Semien is better at 2B, but ole Gordo just got named the defensive 2B star. I would rater go or someone via free agency like Uribe at 3B. Is Mr. AJ Perzynski available for catching duties? I want a team with some fire and I think AJ can motivate as well as produce. I think Gillaspie and Keppinger are trade bait or Conor is a fill in

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
You're mistaken my friend, it was the other way around actually. 5 of his 6 HRs were in the 2/3 spot.

Very nice work, lumping together his time in those 2 different spots.

2 spot, 372 PA's, 2 HR. .373 slug.

3 spot, 158 PA's, 3 HR. .413 slug.

His BABIP was slightly lower in the 3 spot and that reduces his OBP/OPS a little bit, but I think that gives a very clear case that he hits for less power in the 2 hole than in the 3 hole.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
Semien to 3B or as the super IF sub. Beckham to 3B if they think Semien is better at 2B, but ole Gordo just got named the defensive 2B star. I would rater go or someone via free agency like Uribe at 3B. Is Mr. AJ Perzynski available for catching duties? I want a team with some fire and I think AJ can motivate as well as produce. I think Gillaspie and Keppinger are trade bait or Conor is a fill in

Semien NEEDS to play every day. If he's going to be a "super sub", hell just release him. I'd prefer that to having him sitting on the bench that Robin rarely uses.

I can live with Leury as a super sub although it would be nice for him to get some at bats.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)

What happened was Ramirez went a long time without homering, went to the #3 spot I think in a doubleheader and homered in each game. Then he stated something about the different responsiblility in the 2 hole, but there were plenty of times when he was hitting in the 2 hole a homer would have been helpful, so his reasoning didn't really make a ton of sense.

The fact is his HR totals have been in freefall. His doubles have increased, as have the SB. If the Sox can win a few games, maybe his mind won't wander as much. He is still worth his paycheck.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)

Ramirez had a .690 OPS and .373 SLG from the 2 spot. In the three spot it went to .713 and .413. Specifically for homers, he hit 2 in 372 PAs in the 2 spot. He hit 3 in 158 PAs in the 3 spot. He only had 27 PAs in the 6 spot and was awful. In the 7 spot he only had 77 PAs put hit 1 homer, and .695 OPS/ .384 SLG.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Ramirez had a .690 OPS and .373 SLG from the 2 spot. In the three spot it went to .713 and .413. Specifically for homers, he hit 2 in 372 PAs in the 2 spot. He hit 3 in 158 PAs in the 3 spot. He only had 27 PAs in the 6 spot and was awful. In the 7 spot he only had 77 PAs put hit 1 homer, and .695 OPS/ .384 SLG.

Just so I say it again...his BABIP was slightly lower in the 3 spot as well, which I think is entirely due to chance/sample size. If his BABIP in the 3 slot had been similar to where it was in the 2 spot, he'd have been close to a .750 OPS.