Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
I'm really starting to like the idea of Jason Castro. A solid left handed catcher that could hit too all fields and good defensively.

What would Sox have to give up to get him?

There's just absolutely no reason for the Astros to move him. He is the thing they need the most -- an MLB-ready building block with several years of team control.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
There's just absolutely no reason for the Astros to move him. He is the thing they need the most -- an MLB-ready building block with several years of team control.

Someone brought up the idea that they have Max Stassi in AAA this year that may make them more willing to move Castro, although I agree that they would probably be unlikely to move Castro. I'd be down for trading them Quintana if it got us Castro and Altuve in return.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
Someone brought up the idea that they have Max Stassi in AAA this year that may make them more willing to move Castro, although I agree that they would probably be unlikely to move Castro. I'd be down for trading them Quintana if it got us Castro and Altuve in return.

I wouldn't like that deal for the Sox very much on the grounds that they seem like they have multiple candidates who could fill in the middle-infield (2b) position very soon in their system as it is. On top of that, we've already depleted the starting pitching some, I think we're at a good position for this year and probably should wait to see what Beck and the guys in AAA do this year before pushing that even lower.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
I wouldn't like that deal for the Sox very much on the grounds that they seem like they have multiple candidates who could fill in the middle-infield (2b) position very soon in their system as it is. On top of that, we've already depleted the starting pitching some, I think we're at a good position for this year and probably should wait to see what Beck and the guys in AAA do this year before pushing that even lower.

That's reasonable, and I don't mean a straight trade of those 3 guys, I'd have to look more in to it, I'm just spitballin' here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
What's the consensus here? If we had to pick one, Grandal or Rosario?

Grandal. Switch hitter and takes a TON of walks. In his 88 pro games, he has walked about 15% of the time. That would have put him 4th in the majors last year, tied with Stanton.

Actually, looking at it, Grandal compares offensively to Carlos Santana so far, with less power, but a better hit tool.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Grandal for me. Lots of new attempts at measuring C defense have rated Rosario as either one of, or in some cases, the absolute worst defensive C in baseball.

I thought he improved a bit in the 2nd half, but definitely a work in progress. Until the Morneau deal, I thought they might move him to 1B, but it seems the Rockies believe he can be adequate. The bat will play somewhere.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I thought he improved a bit in the 2nd half, but definitely a work in progress. Until the Morneau deal, I thought they might move him to 1B, but it seems the Rockies believe he can be adequate. The bat will play somewhere.

Indeed, but with our roster, we really, really need it to play at C

Before opening day, I'm thinking they get rid of Keppinger, Gillaspie, Flowers, and De Aza, and end up with a new starting catcher--and the group of Gimenez, Phegley, Gonzalez, and Nieto will compete for the backup.

Lineup-

Eaton CF

Ramirez SS

Abreu 1B

Dunn DH

Garcia RF

Viciedo LF

Davidson 3B

New Catcher

Beckham 2B

Bench--Leury Garcia, Jordan Danks, Catcher, Paul Konerko

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Before opening day, I'm thinking they get rid of Keppinger, Gillaspie, Flowers, and De Aza, and end up with a new starting catcher--and the group of Gimenez, Phegley, Gonzalez, and Nieto will compete for the backup.

Lineup-

Eaton CF

Ramirez SS

Abreu 1B

Dunn DH

Garcia RF

Viciedo LF

Davidson 3B

New Catcher

Beckham 2B

Bench--Leury Garcia, Jordan Danks, Catcher, Paul Konerko

Depends on who the other catcher is. If its Grandal, he could possibly hit second or sixth really

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Any objections that these are the 8 core players going forward in the Sox organization?

Abreu

A. Garcia

Eaton

Davidson

Semien

Sale

Quintana

E. Johnson

None whatsoever. There are a few guys who I think can become good and valuable players - the one I pretty much stand alone on that I think can become a very valuable player is Leury Garcia. I would like him to show better patience at the plate while making more contact (no problem, right?), but I like the idea of good defensive shortstops who are fast. I think you can find really cheap, undervalued players there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
None whatsoever. There are a few guys who I think can become good and valuable players - the one I pretty much stand alone on that I think can become a very valuable player is Leury Garcia. I would like him to show better patience at the plate while making more contact (no problem, right?), but I like the idea of good defensive shortstops who are fast. I think you can find really cheap, undervalued players there.

I like Leury as a D replacement/pinch runner/backup, but not as a starter until I see a lot more at the dish. Carlos Sanchez doesn't turn 22 til the end of June, and is killing it in Venezuela. And, from what I've read, he's the only high-minors guy that profiles well to SS defensively - it's by no means settled, but many have doubts about Semien there. The first few months of CS' second go-around in Charlotte should tell us a lot.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
I like Leury as a D replacement/pinch runner/backup, but not as a starter until I see a lot more at the dish. Carlos Sanchez doesn't turn 22 til the end of June, and is killing it in Venezuela. And, from what I've read, he's the only high-minors guy that profiles well to SS defensively - it's by no means settled, but many have doubts about Semien there. The first few months of CS' second go-around in Charlotte should tell us a lot.

Leury is a guy who really could benefit from a full year in Charlotte. Unfortunately, barring a signing of a utility guy, he's almost certainly ticketed for the big league team because the bench can't work without him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Leury is a guy who really could benefit from a full year in Charlotte. Unfortunately, barring a signing of a utility guy, he's almost certainly ticketed for the big league team because the bench can't work without him.

Ramirez, games started, SS

2010 - 154

2011 - 154

2012 - 157

2013 - 157

In 4 years, he has not started 26 games at SS. That is 4% of the games. He needs about a game off once a month, and you don't have to worry about July due to the ASB. I think if you have someone who can just stand at SS for a game now and then - Beckham, Keppinger, Elmore, whoever - you will be fine.

If Ramirez gets hurt and misses significant time, you're probably f'ed anyways.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
I agree but it reminds me of the log jam we have at Charlotte. If Semien starts in the minors along with Garcia, then you have Semien-Garcia-Sanchez all in Charlotte for 3 infield positions and none of them are really suited for 3B.

I'm pretty ok with those three alternatin between those positions, especially since a couple of them could back that position up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Any objections that these are the 8 core players going forward in the Sox organization?

Abreu

A. Garcia

Eaton

Davidson

Semien

Sale

Quintana

E. Johnson

OBJECTION: I think one of Johnson or Semien will be packaged in a deal that nets us a catcher this offseason.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

I hope he breaks out in a big way at AAA this season and gets off to a hot start that would facilitate a midseason trade of Ramirez and will have accomplished three things: better adjusting Abreu for 1/2 of a major league season, moving him for major league assets or prospects and opening up a spot for a very talent young prospect.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
Ramirez, games started, SS

2010 - 154

2011 - 154

2012 - 157

2013 - 157

In 4 years, he has not started 26 games at SS. That is 4% of the games. He needs about a game off once a month, and you don't have to worry about July due to the ASB. I think if you have someone who can just stand at SS for a game now and then - Beckham, Keppinger, Elmore, whoever - you will be fine.

If Ramirez gets hurt and misses significant time, you're probably f'ed anyways.

Thats when you simply call up Semien.

I do agree with your post though. I said the same thing when PK was signed, I see no problem in playing Keppinger at 2B and sliding over Beckham once a month.