2013-2014 NHL thread

That edmonton board looks sweet. I wish we'd copy that style.

edit: maybe flaming baseballs instead of flaming pucks to show a HOT new sports topic.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
An Edmonton board with a bunch of seventeen year old spoiled Canadians who don't even know what a winning team looks like and I'd wager most have never seen Gretzky play (or if they did, it was probably as a NYR) or weren't around for their glory days in the 80s, sans a few? Hmm.. Yea that still might be better than this thread since they still do know hockey. :lol:

There are sub forums to every nhl team and other topics on that site

Hossa needs to be a healthy scratch much more often next year.

Whether he was hurt or not the guy was not right almost the entire playoffs. Winning games in February and March mean nothing. Home ice means very little in the NHL.

I thought the Hawks were out worked the entire playoffs and the defense was not there.

Bolling and Versteeg add nothing which is sad for Verseteeg as he once had talent.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Chris De Luca ‏@ChrisDeLuca 36m

Also #Blackhawks and #LAKings G7 Sunday the most-watched NHL game ever on NBCSN; and the most-watched non-Olympic program ever on NBCSN.

Seems like a lot of people were able to find the channel.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
I think there is a good chance Oduya is gone. Would like to see Stephen Johns or Adam Clendening get a chance to make the roster.

I think one of Oduya, Leddy, or Seabrook will be moved to try to shore up the depth up front.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
NHL playoffs a showcase for bad goalie contracts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...rticle18949384/

If 2 of the final 4 teams and the teams that have won the last 2 stanley cups have these contracts...then maybe they're a long-term issue, but that's not selling me hard on them being a bad short-term idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
If 2 of the final 4 teams and the teams that have won the last 2 stanley cups have these contracts...then maybe they're a long-term issue, but that's not selling me hard on them being a bad short-term idea.

Actually neither of the last two Cup winners had such contracts, both extensions were signed after the goalie had just won the Cup. And Crawford's deal doesn't kick in until next season, so this season the Hawks weren't faced with any of the salary cap ramifications from the deal yet.

Granted, this year's Stanley Cup winner is guaranteed to have a long-term goalie deal, although New York's goalie is one of the few that people think actually deserves that much money.

I bandwagon the s*** out of the Hawks. I pretty much only watch during the playoffs, never before their first cup season. Go out for the big gamesn get wild when they win. I go to the playoff games, helping drive up the price of playoff tickets only to hear "longtime" fans b**** about how they can't afford it anymore. Oh well. Nobody gives a s*** how long you've been a fan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
As a fan of a team, dont you WANT people to be interested in it? I dont get the resistance at this point of having newer fans. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Agreed. I am much happier to see 22k in the house every night versus when the team was on the verge of extinction in terms of their relevance in the Chicago market like it was 7/8 years ago. I like having people to talk hockey with versus most not knowing what an icing actually is. Hockey fans are weird like that. I can't think of any other sport where the hardcore fans gets pissed that there are new fans.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
As a fan of a team, dont you WANT people to be interested in it? I dont get the resistance at this point of having newer fans. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I would kill for the Sox to get the bandwagon base of the Hawks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Agreed. I am much happier to see 22k in the house every night versus when the team was on the verge of extinction in terms of their relevance in the Chicago market like it was 7/8 years ago. I like having people to talk hockey with versus most not knowing what an icing actually is. Hockey fans are weird like that. I can't think of any other sport where the hardcore fans gets pissed that there are new fans.

I mean, the Hawks on TV at a bar is an EVENT now, its not something you have to ask to be put on. You have to love how its become.

Plus the stadium is full of top shelf ass now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
I mean, the Hawks on TV at a bar is an EVENT now, its not something you have to ask to be put on. You have to love how its become.

Plus the stadium is full of top shelf ass now.

You could get a Hawks game on... but only if the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, and Sox were all not on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
Agreed. I am much happier to see 22k in the house every night versus when the team was on the verge of extinction in terms of their relevance in the Chicago market like it was 7/8 years ago.

They had the worst owner in sports.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
There are PLENTY of new fans who do take it seriously. I've stated multiple times that they're welcome to come in, respect the history, and enjoy the ride.

Then there are others who don't. Like our good friend Joe who had no idea what goals happened when in the most important game of the year but sure had a lot of blowhard opinions about how unfair they were!

Those seats at the United Center, with a great team, were always sold out - the Hawks had no problems with attendance at Chicago Stadium nor with the teams of Roenick, Murphy, Amonte were kicking ass in the mid-90s. It's not like the fans NEVER existed. But don't you worry, the new fans all think that the team didn't exist prior to 2009.

It did. Recognizing that and their history goes a long way. I wonder how many of them actually realize why Hawks fans cheer through the National Anthem?

You do know that some of the fans were just being born the last time they were good? So to them, the Hawks were an afterthought.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
You do know that some of the fans were just being born the last time they were good? So to them, the Hawks were an afterthought.

Someone who is 21 years old saw one playoff appearance from the time that they started elementary school, until the year before they won their first modern Cup.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
This.

My problem is with people acting like they are the world's biggest Hawks fans, but they know absolutely nothing about the game and don't care to try, as referenced above. They then make going to games annoying, as they are getting up in the middle of play, taking selfies, talking loudly out of their ass, and killing time between OMG CHELSEA DAGGER. That's when it's a bigger issue for the true fans.

People use the Hawks to feel better about themselves. So be it. It's the same for any bandwagon. I'm so cool because I'm a Hawks fan and I can wear this Kane jersey. Look at me!

And when the Hawks go down the tubes again at some point, which they inevitably will, they'll be nowhere to be found.

I think one issue though is this is the majority of Chicago sports fans. You are describing BEars fans to me. They wouldn't be better had they followed their whole lives.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Someone who is 21 years old saw one playoff appearance from the time that they started elementary school, until the year before they won their first modern Cup.

And that one playoff appearance was awful. We drove up from Champaign and bought tickets at the gate the day of for game 4.. The Hawks were in the midst of a like a 200+ minute goalless streak at the hands of Brent Johnson.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I could be totally wrong, but I have hunch it's going to be a very slow and quiet off-season for the Hawks. Hossa is going to be 36, Sharp is going to be 33, and a few of these guys are looking like they have a lot of miles on them. I think Bowman is going to spend most of the off-season trying to lock up Toews and Kane to creative extensions, and give this core one more shot to make a run in 2015. If they fail, that's when you start seeing bigger pieces moved.

Now, you could argue that they should be ahead of the curve and start moving these guys when their value could be higher, and to be honest I wouldn't disagree with that logic, but I just don't see Bowman making any significant changes yet. I think they are one off-season away from that.

Just my hunch.

That is a really interesting point. At some point you have to wonder how much those guys have in the tank after playing A LOT of hockey in their careers.