Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I can't imagine them doing that. It sounds like Cubs are trying to get Neftali Feliz instead (Tom Loxas reporting). If they get Feliz and Olt for Garza, that's an amazing trade for the Cubs. Since when is Garza this great pitcher??

No way they get both of those guys -- but while Garza is not a great pitcher, he's the best guy available right now by a fair amount. Supply & demand. This is why we need Peavy to 2-hit the #Barves this weekend.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
If I'm buying, I'd much rather have Peavy than Garza. Both for this season and when you factor in the contracts. Two different tiers of pitcher IMO.

I agree with you. Peavy is a more reliable pitcher who is cost friendly and controlled through next year. And are the Cubs really asking for Feliz? That's crazy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
If I'm buying, I'd much rather have Peavy than Garza. Both for this season and when you factor in the contracts. Two different tiers of pitcher IMO.

I agree and I would be willing to bet that most teams do as well. I just don't think anyone considers Peavy a real option until he returns healthy,

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Is there really any timetable of a possible trade for Rios and Lindstrom? I.understand that Crain and Peavy need to be healthy but I'm getting impatient and want this minor rebuild to happen already.

If they're traded this year, it's probably going to happen some time in the next 15 days.

This information about Rios was in Jim Bowden's article today....

The Chicago White Sox have been shopping almost all of their players, but so far they have been extremely disappointed in the offers they've fielded for right fielder Alex Rios. However, with very few bats available they should still do fine, as teams always get a bit more desperate right before the deadline.

The Chicago White Sox have been shopping almost all of their players, but so far they have been extremely disappointed in the offers they've fielded for right fielder Alex Rios. However, with very few bats available they should still do fine, as teams always get a bit more desperate right before the deadline.

Rios has a reasonable 2015 option, and with the pitching the Sox have it's not out of the question that he could be a significant contributor on a contending team in 2015, so I'm in ho hurry to dump him just to dump him. If Hahn doesn't get a premium haul for him by the end of July, then hang on to him and maybe a better deal is there in December and if not I'm not going to complain if he's still with the Sox in April.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)

That is a little disappointing. Did he mention anything about Peavy or the.bullpen guys?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Rios has a reasonable 2015 option, and with the pitching the Sox have it's not out of the question that he could be a significant contributor on a contending team in 2015, so I'm in ho hurry to dump him just to dump him. If Hahn doesn't get a premium haul for him by the end of July, then hang on to him and maybe a better deal is there in December and if not I'm not going to complain if he's still with the Sox in April.

I agree if we can't get premium talent for him don't dump him to dump him, there is plenty of money coming off the books and Thompson is still a half a year away it appears.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
He's been struggling and pressing like crazy. This is his worst season as a professional by far. There's no reason he shouldn't at least be adequate against righties, but he seemingly swings at everything.

He's f***ing terrible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
Viciedo

Sophomore slump to a "T"...

He might figure it out and make adjustments in the second half but the real teat for him is this offseason and next year.

Hope he puts it together at the plate... He still has a chance to be a beast!

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm ready for a bunch of deals just to get some new blood in here...I'm reading Bears notes in freaking July and that's not right.

I hear ya - time goes by slowly when refreshing trade winds and mlbtraderumors two weeks before deadline day.

Snoooooooze...

The problem is that the classic buyers aren't really in buyer mode this year - Dodgers have bought enough, Yankees aren't buyers, Angels aren't buyers. Tigers and BoSox could be but they don't really need starters. The Nats will buy when appropriate, but they aren't buying either. Atlanta has been gunshy for years.

I think we'll get an idea of what the market looks like when Garza is traded...Cubbies in high Media frenzy to try to get a trade done. My guess is they get a 51-100 prospect for him. If they do better, that should portend well for us.

I'd guess something like Peavy, Rios and $10 mill to the Rangers for 2 B prospects and a youngish backup on their ML roster. We might be able to squeeze Olt out of them, as his stock is dropping fast (and he was always overhyped).

Crain to someone for a B.

That's about it.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
The problem is that the classic buyers aren't really in buyer mode this year - Dodgers have bought enough, Yankees aren't buyers, Angels aren't buyers. Tigers and BoSox could be but they don't really need starters. The Nats will buy when appropriate, but they aren't buying either. Atlanta has been gunshy for years.

I think we'll get an idea of what the market looks like when Garza is traded...Cubbies in high Media frenzy to try to get a trade done. My guess is they get a 51-100 prospect for him. If they do better, that should portend well for us.

I'd guess something like Peavy, Rios and $10 mill to the Rangers for 2 B prospects and a youngish backup on their ML roster. We might be able to squeeze Olt out of them, as his stock is dropping fast (and he was always overhyped).

That's about it.

I'm not sure we're as eager to dump salary as you might think...

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

That's about it.

Peavy = more valuable than Garza