Managing a Rebuilding Team Wouldn't Scare Ventura

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5316983.story

Also, another article about the future of the outfield from bleacherreport....didn't see this anywhere, but Padilla stated that Hahn told him Viciedo is more than likely ticketed for 1B next season.

Chicago White Sox general manager Rick Hahn is going to be a busy man as the July 31, non-waiver trade deadline approaches.

After all—with the exception of starting pitching—Hahn needs to address each position group as he shops some of the White Sox’s most valuable assets to contending teams.

Where does he focus his energies, though?

The answer is in the outfield, which will soon be in a state of disarray.

First off, Alex Rios is the subject of intense trade speculation. The Texas Rangers, San Francisco Giants and Arizona Diamondback have been mentioned directly by ESPN.com’s Bruce Levine, but the list does not stop there.

According to ESPN’s Trade Central, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Washington Nationals and New York Yankees have distinct needs in right field. Rios can also play center field, which only increases the number of potential suitors.

All told, it would be quite surprising if he is still on the White Sox’s 25-man roster after the non-waiver trade deadline.

In left field, Dayan Viciedo’s time is short lived. During spring training, Hahn said that he sees Viciedo as a potential option at first base, perhaps as soon as 2014, according to ESPN’s Doug Padilla.

Given the uncertain future of Paul Konerko, moving Viciedo to first would make a lot of sense. Granted, he has been rather inconsistent at the plate, but he still possesses quite a bit of upside and may be best served switching positions.

Alejandro De Aza has been inconsistent.

Finally, Alejandro De Aza is not the answer in center field for a couple of reasons.

As a leadoff hitter, for example, he lacks the ability to get on base often enough and strikes out far too often. He also tends to rely on his power to generate offense instead of using his speed to manufacture runs. While he did a nice job going from first to third on a single Tuesday night, his stat line—.261/.319/415, 10 home runs and 82 K’s—attests to those sentiments.

In addition to his offensive limitations, De Aza has had a rough time in the outfield this year. More often than the White Sox would like, he misplays singles through the infield, takes bad angles on fly balls and misses the cutoff man.

De Aza is making just over $2 million dollars this season, and that figure will likely go up since he will be eligible for arbitration for a second time this offseason

As it stands, the potential for each of the Opening Day outfielders to either not be with the White Sox or play a different position next year is very real.

Now, if the White Sox had more than one potential replacement in the minor leagues, they could look to add infield depth or bolster a soon to be depleted bullpen, but that is not the case.

While Trayce Thompson—.314/.365/.520, four home runs, 25 RBI and four stolen bases last month—is finally producing at a very high level and could be ready for the 2014 season, the much heralded Courtney Hawkins, Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell have all struggled this season.

It is going to take quite a bit for Hahn to turn this current collection into a viable contender.

He should start with the outfield.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 06:46 AM)
Sounds like they send Danks down to get regular ABs so he can play more when a few of these guys walk the plank in the next few weeks.

And yet the odds of Jordan Danks being a starting OFer for Opening Day 2014 are minimal, at best.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
And yet the odds of Jordan Danks being a starting OFer for Opening Day 2014 are minimal, at best.

He's exactly the kind of player who could wind up a starting OF in 2014 if the dream of selling off completely comes true.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
He's exactly the kind of player who could wind up a starting OF in 2014 if the dream of selling off completely comes true.

Then good luck selling any season ticket to non-corporate clients....

We still have numerous other options in the trade market/s as well as off-season free agents.

Look at it this way...following the M's model, are you better off giving Jordan Danks 250-300 at-bats in 2014 to prove he can't play everyday (the only position he'd fit with his skill set and limited power is CF, and he would be replaced by Thompson eventually)....or putting the likes of a Morse, Ibanez or Bay out there and then trying to flip them at the trade deadline for some prospects?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)

We still have numerous other options in the trade market/s as well as off-season free agents.

Look at it this way...following the M's model, are you better off giving Jordan Danks 250-300 at-bats in 2014 to prove he can't play everyday (the only position he'd fit with his skill set and limited power is CF, and he would be replaced by Thompson eventually)....or putting the likes of a Morse, Ibanez or Bay out there and then trying to flip them at the trade deadline for some prospects?

I'd vastly rather go with Jordan Danks in the OF than Ibanez or Bay next year if the Sox are in the position to choose between them and only them, nothing better. Morse I'd tolerate as a 1b option at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)

After this disaster of a season, they aren't going to be selling a lot of tickets anyways. Besides, that's such a small portion of the revenue anymore that it doesn't matter, yet you continually bring it up.

Anyways, you give Danks playing time down the stretch in 2013 to prove whether or not he can play. When he almost certainly proves he's nothing more than a 4th outfielder, you can try and pick up guys that make sense in the outfield, or you can give Thompson a try, or Danks, or whoever you pick up in trades, or free agents, or whoever.

Also, I'm not sure you want to follow a model that the Mariners are following, especially considering the 2 winning seasons they've had in the last 10 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
After this disaster of a season, they aren't going to be selling a lot of tickets anyways. Besides, that's such a small portion of the revenue anymore that it doesn't matter, yet you continually bring it up.

Anyways, you give Danks playing time down the stretch in 2013 to prove whether or not he can play. When he almost certainly proves he's nothing more than a 4th outfielder, you can try and pick up guys that make sense in the outfield, or you can give Thompson a try, or Danks, or whoever you pick up in trades, or free agents, or whoever.

Also, I'm not sure you want to follow a model that the Mariners are following, especially considering the 2 winning seasons they've had in the last 10 years.

D2 might have a 10% chance of turning in a BJ Upton like season. Quibble with the numbers all you like, and yes he might have to rely on a ridiculous BABIP or something like that to pull off a season like that, but if the Sox are at the point of choosing between 40 year old retreads who might be tradeable for someone else's guys who didn't develop, I'd rather throw Danks out there.

Well, assuming Rios and possibly DeAza are gone, Danks, Tekotte and Wells should get plenty of time the remainder of this year to prove whether they deserve to be on the 2014 O.D. roster.

And it also wouldn't be a surprise to see Viciedo get playing time at 1B in August/September, if Konerko is moved, which opens up another spot.

10% odds for Danks are quite optimistic, because unless he's facing the White Sox pitching/catching tandem, it's not going to be easy for him to accumulate many steals.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Well, assuming Rios and possibly DeAza are gone, Danks, Tekotte and Wells should get plenty of time the remainder of this year to prove whether they deserve to be on the 2014 O.D. roster.

And it also wouldn't be a surprise to see Viciedo get playing time at 1B in August/September, if Konerko is moved, which opens up another spot.

Again, if you're going the "full rebuild" route, what guys do in August and September should have very little bearing on whether or not they get starting positions on the 2014 roster. A guy who puts up a .500 OPS should still be your starting CF if he has some upside and is the best candidate you have for that position next year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)

If Hahn trades both Rios & De Aza and moves Viciedo to 1B (which I think is a terrible idea), then there's a decent chance Danks is starting for us in 2014. Replacing an entire outfield from outside the organization is unlikely to happen.

Having said that, my guess for 2014 is that Viciedo remains in LF, we go out and sign one free agent outfielder (perhaps Granderson), and either we acquire a young OF as part of our selloff or Danks gets a job until Thompson is ready.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I also think the Sox need to address the free agent market for at least one outfielder. The OF prospects down in the farm are progressing much slower than anticipated. I would hate for them to rush Thompson up as well. I would give him and the other guys (Hawkins, Walker, Mitchell) more time to prove themselves. Hopefully if Hahn plays his cards right this summer, he can acquire an OF prospect who is much closer to sniffing the MLB level than our prospects.

Assuming Viciedo does go over to 1b next year, I think our outfield will be pieced together like this:

Left Field- Jordan Danks will start the year here, however, Thompson will work his way up to eventually take over this spot.

Center Field- The White Sox will use some of their freed up cash on a free agent. I can definitely see them bringing in Chicago native Granderson. He seems like a real classy player and can help the young kids develop. Other names include Ellsbury, Crisp and Davis.

Right Field- OF prospect via this year's trade deadline.

Things will likely look a whole bunch different in 2014 and that is okay with me.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
I also think the Sox need to address the free agent market for at least one outfielder. The OF prospects down in the farm are progressing much slower than anticipated. I would hate for them to rush Thompson up as well. I would give him and the other guys (Hawkins, Walker, Mitchell) more time to prove themselves. Hopefully if Hahn plays his cards right this summer, he can acquire an OF prospect who is much closer to sniffing the MLB level than our prospects.

Assuming Viciedo does go over to 1b next year, I think our outfield will be pieced together like this:

Left Field- Jordan Danks will start the year here, however, Thompson will work his way up to eventually take over this spot.

Center Field- The White Sox will use some of their freed up cash on a free agent. I can definitely see them bringing in Chicago native Granderson. He seems like a real classy player and can help the young kids develop. Other names include Ellsbury, Crisp and Davis.

Right Field- OF prospect via this year's trade deadline.

Things will likely look a whole bunch different in 2014 and that is okay with me.

At this point, Trayce Thompson's a much better defender than Granderson. He should be in center.

I don't get this Granderson thing. He's a super nice guy, I understand, but he's a defensive liability in CF, he strikes out nigh 200 times a year at this point, he can only hit righties, he's going to require an expensive multi-year deal, and he would block most of our best prospects from playing CF at the ML level. It's a bad fit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)

This exactly. When people talk about trading everyone, these are types of players who are next in line.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)

This exact strategy is about to get Jack Z fired this offseason.

No one is buying tickets now because the team sucks. Jason Bay isn't going to bring them back. The Sox need to get good as soon as possible to bring ticket sales back. Giving at bats to old, bad players instead of developing young, high-upside players will only slow this process down. No one will come see a 65 win team just like no one will come see a 70 win team just like no one will come see a 75 win team.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)

No one is buying tickets now because the team sucks. Jason Bay isn't going to bring them back. The Sox need to get good as soon as possible to bring ticket sales back. Giving at bats to old, bad players instead of developing young, high-upside players will only slow this process down. No one will come see a 65 win team just like no one will come see a 70 win team just like no one will come see a 75 win team.

Then sign Granderson, Morales, Utley and McCann.

BOOM, steak dinner!

C McCann

1B Morales

2B Utley

SS Beckham

3B Gillaspie

LF Viciedo

CF Granderson

RF Rios (if he's not traded)

DH Dunn

Instantly competitive team, lol.

Even then, you have to worry about Viciedo, Beckham's defense at SS and Conor repeating his 2012 performance (essentially being a 675-725 OPS type of player).

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)

Never said I LIKED it, just that it was more likely than going out to spend money on those BIG 4 FREE AGENTS we keep referring to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Then sign Granderson, Morales, Utley and McCann.

BOOM, steak dinner!

C McCann

1B Morales

2B Utley

SS Beckham

3B Gillaspie

LF Viciedo

CF Granderson

RF Rios (if he's not traded)

DH Dunn

Instantly competitive team, lol.

Even then, you have to worry about Viciedo, Beckham's defense at SS and Conor repeating his 2012 performance (essentially being a 675-725 OPS type of player).

That team could just as easily get hurt or get old and win 70 games with all kinds of money tied up. The Sox, if they do sign free agents, really need to limit it to about 1-2.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
I don't get this Granderson thing. He's a super nice guy, I understand, but he's a defensive liability in CF, he strikes out nigh 200 times a year at this point, he can only hit righties, he's going to require an expensive multi-year deal, and he would block most of our best prospects from playing CF at the ML level. It's a bad fit.

I couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
That team could just as easily get hurt or get old and win 70 games with all kinds of money tied up. The Sox, if they do sign free agents, really need to limit it to about 1-2.

Agree. I'd like to see them bring in an important piece or two, but there's no reason to dump $50 million or so into the 2014 team. You'll take a few risks with young players alongside the few new faces. If we don't win, which is probably likely, you have the chance to trade away a guy like Dunn and get some more prospects and continue gradually mixing in FA vets and young players in 2015 (hard to prognosticate that far when we don't know how young players are going to be doing)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Agree. I'd like to see them bring in an important piece or two, but there's no reason to dump $50 million or so into the 2014 team. You'll take a few risks with young players alongside the few new faces. If we don't win, which is probably likely, you have the chance to trade away a guy like Dunn and get some more prospects and continue gradually mixing in FA vets and young players in 2015 (hard to prognosticate that far when we don't know how young players are going to be doing)

And Peavy, if he can stay healthy and we time it right.

Maybe we can also bring back Gavin Floyd and flip him (via waivers) in August if he's not ready before July 31st.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
And Peavy, if he can stay healthy and we time it right.

Maybe we can also bring back Gavin Floyd and flip him (via waivers) in August if he's not ready before July 31st.

I'm not sure if he's going to be pitching 12 months from now, yet