Why so quiet so far?

Big Hurtin

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:50 AM)
I'm saying Rios goes too--Pittsburgh makes sense, and if Nelson Cruz gets busted, the Rangers will call. Alexei...no. His remaining contract is too big to take on. Sox would have to eat too much.

I also think there will be one surprise deal that nobody sees coming.

Either De Aza, Reed or Santiago

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:51 AM)
Either De Aza, Reed or Santiago

YeahSomeonuld totally see them defying logic and trading Santiago for an underwhelming package. Theyve misused him before so it may as well end like this.

Rios and Ramirez I don't see gone since they aren't FAs and I doubt we get much anything back for them. There's no rush to trade them.

I think a Peavy deal got more likely today but I still believe this FO has every intention of contending next year. Someone is going to really have to impress us to take someone who will be a key piece into next year. And who knows, maybe it's not a bad thing. He will still have a ton of value one year from today. There will always be teams desperate for a starter as the Rangers proved today. I don't think he loses as much of his value as some are making it out to be.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
Honestly if Hahn doesn't trade Peavy, Rios Crain and Lindstrom I'll be mad because I just want the rebuilding to happen and get young talking into the system.

I agree 100%...especially about Peavy and Rios. Cut bait, get something fair, and move on without them.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
I agree 100%...especially about Peavy and Rios. Cut bait, get something fair, and move on without them.

Thank you. I love Peavy, but if he can bring a ton in a package I wouldn't hesitate to make the deal. Rios does need to go though. I just want this to happen already.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
With Johnson and Snodgress looking as if they'll be able to contribute in 2014, I'm convinced Peavy is a goner.

Last time I said this it was pointed out to me that, despite last night's game, Snodgress had pretty mediocre numbers on the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)
Last time I said this it was pointed out to me that, despite last night's game, Snodgress had pretty mediocre numbers on the year.

I think Rienzo is much more likely to make an impact next year than Snodgress

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
I think Rienzo is much more likely to make an impact next year than Snodgress

Very much agreed, although SS might have a good shot at a bullpen spot before long. It'll be darn hard to find an opening in the rotation with him, particularly since it's already loaded with lefties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
Very much agreed, although SS might have a good shot at a bullpen spot before long. It'll be darn hard to find an opening in the rotation with him, particularly since it's already loaded with lefties.

Snodgress has been getting a lot better, but yeah, he's not MLB ready yet. Maybe he's in AAA this season, but he isn't as far along as Johnson at all. Johnson and Rienzo are the guys I'd expect to see the roster in 2014.

Who cares? Let him finish out the season with the Sox and retire.

Everybody would love to see Paulie retire in a Sox uniform, but if by some miracle there's a team that would actually give up something valuable for him, the Sox would be stupid not to do it, though right now that seems incredibly unlikely.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Everybody would love to see Paulie retire in a Sox uniform, but if by some miracle there's a team that would actually give up something valuable for him, the Sox would be stupid not to do it, though right now that seems incredibly unlikely.

I am guessing he asked to stay, otherwise we would be shopping him.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
This. As bad as Konerko has been, it would be really nice to see one of the Sox greats actually retire in a Sox uniform for a change.

How "bad" Konerko has been doesn't bother me. What's sad for me to see is his career possibly ending on such a crappy team. I totally agree though that I'd really like to see him retire as a White Sox.

We don't have to trade and that's what I think is going on now in talks. Other teams trying to low ball us. Gregg called it "questionable skill sets." That is kind of laughable since if our in-demand players had less than good skills at baseball they wouldn't be here let alone in demand. If we trade we need to get fair value and that's the bottom line.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
YeahSomeonuld totally see them defying logic and trading Santiago for an underwhelming package. Theyve misused him before so it may as well end like this.

Rios and Ramirez I don't see gone since they aren't FAs and I doubt we get much anything back for them. There's no rush to trade them.

I think a Peavy deal got more likely today but I still believe this FO has every intention of contending next year. Someone is going to really have to impress us to take someone who will be a key piece into next year. And who knows, maybe it's not a bad thing. He will still have a ton of value one year from today. There will always be teams desperate for a starter as the Rangers proved today. I don't think he loses as much of his value as some are making it out to be.

Santiago makes a ton of sense for Arizona. Young, controllable, left handed and cheap. With the Diamondbacks seemingly tapped out financially, he is a guy they can slide in until Skaggs is ready, which they are trying to find out if he is now. The Giants could also make a lot of sense with Zito and Lincecum gone after the season and not having enough prospects to give up for Peavy.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Santiago makes a ton of sense for Arizona. Young, controllable, left handed and cheap. With the Diamondbacks seemingly tapped out financially, he is a guy they can slide in until Skaggs is ready, which they are trying to find out if he is now. The Giants could also make a lot of sense with Zito and Lincecum gone after the season and not having enough prospects to give up for Peavy.

If the Sox are going to deal a 3-4 WAR lefty (who is, what, 25 years old?), then they need to get monstrous value in return. We are talking, at minimum, Davidson and Owings, and probably another low level prospect on top (and I've heard that Holmberg kid is good)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
I think it will be a complete tear down that will include De Aza and Reed. Give the fans 6 weeks of seeing the guys they get in the deals and the season ticket erosion might not be as great as you'd think.

I'd be disappointed if they deal De Aza, unless they get something really nice for him...the guy seems to really be underappreciated here.