Rick Hahn on McNeil and Spiegel Show

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
I'd much rather see Semien playing SS in this scenario with Gillaspie at 3B and Gordon at home at 2B. Just say no to Morel, it's a bad drug

Gillaspie's defense has really soured me towards him lately, I could see him being a 3b/1B backup but his lack of power and defense really makes him a bad option starting anywhere

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Gillaspie's defense has really soured me towards him lately, I could see him being a 3b/1B backup but his lack of power and defense really makes him a bad option starting anywhere

He's a very good defender at 3B. He's just made a few bad plays recently.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
I want to see Beckham at short the rest of the year, Gillaspie at second (groom to be a super-sub of sorts), and Morel at third. The Sox lose valuable evaluation time with every game Ramirez plays.

I tend to concur with the you; if not that specific plan (please post a warning when you write scary things - like Morel at 3rd).

We should also clear out the bullpen soon of the Troncoso's et al and give some prospects or even another set of AAAA players a chance. It's ridiculous to play useless veterans.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)
I tend to concur with the you; if not that specific plan (please post a warning when you write scary things - like Morel at 3rd).

We should also clear out the bullpen soon of the Troncoso's et al and give some prospects or even another set of AAAA players a chance. It's ridiculous to play useless veterans.

I think the main theory at play as far as Troncoso goes is that he is here only because there are young relievers that we like more, but we don't feel are ready to be exposed to MLB pitching just yet. You don't want prospects you actually like to be a punching bag for MLB guys before htey are ready

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:47 PM)
I would like to see the White Sox and Rick Hahn revamp the scouting department with the exception of Marco Paddy.

We have revamped it, by giving it funds on par with other teams to sign the players it scouts

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
If the Sox can dump Rios, either in August or in the offseason... maybe Lindstrom too, maybe Alexei, for argument's sake... your roster would look something like the below, if you look ONLY at players under contract or already in-house:

C: Phegley

1B: Wilkins

2B: Beckham

SS: Semien or Sanchez

3B: Gillaspie

OF: Viciedo

OF: Garcia

OF: De Aza

DH: Dunn

Bench...

C: Flowers

INF: Sanchez or Semien, maybe, or someone else cheap

OF: JorDanks or whomever

??: ?

Rotation...

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Rienzo or Santiago

Bullpen...

Reed (CL)

Jones

Webb

Castro

Axelrod

Veal

Santiago or Rienzo

Lots of big question marks there, but also a very young roster with some very nice talent, and... only about $45M plus arb salaries to deal with. That might make it $55M. The opening day payroll this season was something like $104M. The team gets an extra $25M in TV money. Even if they decide to cut payroll a bit, despite the new money, they've probably still got $30M-$40M to play with to add to the above roster.

I absolutely would not write off contending next year. That is a pretty damn good rotation (though lefty-heavy), that is a bullpen with some untested but talented arms, and even the lineup has young talent. But if you use that $30-$40M to get above average hitters (hopefully with some power) for a couple positions (and you could do it at almost ALL those positions, though 1B and 3B stick out)... you can make a decent lineup there.

Just saying, I don't consider 2014 a full-on write-off... yet. Have to see how the offseason goes.

Johnson 3rd in the rotation based on what?

Santiago not even assured of a spot? Really?

We all like Erik Johnson just fine, but it would be incredibly difficult to spin an argument he's as good a prospect as McCarthy/Hudson/Gio (or even Clayton Richard), and those guys all had their struggles in the beginning.

Will just have to wait and see how patient they actually are if someone like Johnson just gets hammered around in early April...if they will be patient with him to let him develop or get back into "contending" mode based on their position in the standings.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)

There's not much evidence to suggest Gillaspie could be a decent 2B even as a super sub.

If anyone's going to take that position, it's going to be Carlos Sanchez, if they deem him not to be an everyday player because of offensive limitations.

Gillaspie should play 3B everyday until he proves he should be the starter coming into 2014 or not...then you continue to look for upgrades at that position in the meantime.

Morel could play 2B a lot better than Conor, FWIW. Plus, would rather have him in that "super-sub" role than someone like Angel Sanchez.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
I don't think it is hard, at this point, to say that he is a prospect of the ilk of McCarthy/Hudson/Gio

We'll see. I would be shocked if he put up the numbers that Santiago has chalked up as a starter at the end of 2012 and in 2013.

Anything below a 4.50-4.75 ERA in his first year would be a bit unexpected. (Although Quintana certainly managed that trick).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)

Gillaspie is not a starting 3rd basemen...period. s***ty OBP and not a lot of power. Guy is nothing more then a bench player at best.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:32 AM)
Gillaspie is not a starting 3rd basemen...period. s***ty OBP and not a lot of power. Guy is nothing more then a bench player at best.

I think Connor will develop into a solid but not spectacular 3b if he continues to be given at bats.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:40 PM)
I want to see Beckham at short the rest of the year, Gillaspie at second (groom to be a super-sub of sorts), and Morel at third. The Sox lose valuable evaluation time with every game Ramirez plays.

I'm sure it'll stun you to know that I think all 3 of these are terrible ideas. Beckham is fine at 2b and should stay there. It's time for this franchise to call it quits on Morel, even as his defender over the years I'll say that, let someone else take a shot with him. Gillaspie fits at 3rd pretty well and will probably get better there with time.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
If Alexei is still around next season, I'd rather have Semien starting at 3b than Gillaspie.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
I disagree. If Alexei is around, he won't be around much longer. Semien is one of those borderline SS types, I'd rather him get consistent reps there in AA/AAA to maximize his chance of staying when Ramirez is gone.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
Alexei has value because of his defense and the scarcity of the position, but his bat is a major part of our offensive problems. I disagree with your logic of getting rid of him at all costs, but I tend to agree we need to go in another direction at SS. It's too bad we couldn't work out a deal with the Cardinals as he would have been a perfect fit for them. If we do move him, it will most likely have to be in the offseason, because I think there will be a couple teams that claim him this month.

I think SS is a position where the Sox need to have a little bit of patience right now. Finally in Semien it looks like they might have a guy who can legitimately be pushing that position, but he's moved up pretty rapidly like everyone in the Sox's system. He's only 22.

Let him play out this season at AAA and start there next year (maybe after an AFL stint if he hasn't been there before). If he's tearing it up next May-June, the way Tyler Flowers was, and he's playing SS every day so that he has time to really settle in to that position, then we can start talking next July about having a real good reason to take the best offer we can get on Alexei.

Until then we can hold out a high price for him. If Semien starts pushing him, then we have reason for that price to come down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
I'm sure it'll stun you to know that I think all 3 of these are terrible ideas. Beckham is fine at 2b and should stay there. It's time for this franchise to call it quits on Morel, even as his defender over the years I'll say that, let someone else take a shot with him. Gillaspie fits at 3rd pretty well and will probably get better there with time.

If you are giving up on Morel, then I think it's officially time cut bait.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
If you are giving up on Morel, then I think it's officially time cut bait.

If they want to platoon him with Gillaspie for the next month fine, but going into next year we need a real IF backup, not this Brent Morel/Angel Sanchez/Tyler Greene trash.

To clarify, as fathom said, I was NOT saying that lineup I posted was a contender. I said that lineup with 2 significant upgrades could be decent. And as Jake pointed out, returns on any trade in the offseason MIGHT have an effect too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:09 AM)
Johnson 3rd in the rotation based on what?

Santiago not even assured of a spot? Really?

We all like Erik Johnson just fine, but it would be incredibly difficult to spin an argument he's as good a prospect as McCarthy/Hudson/Gio (or even Clayton Richard), and those guys all had their struggles in the beginning.

Will just have to wait and see how patient they actually are if someone like Johnson just gets hammered around in early April...if they will be patient with him to let him develop or get back into "contending" mode based on their position in the standings.

1. I didn't put those starters in any particular order, should have clarified.

2. Santiago has a ton of talent and is just as likely to start as Johnson, in my view. But he's less consistent, and I am guessing (just my guess) that they may trade one of him or Quintana. And in that case, I'd prefer they trade Santiago.

The whole purpose of showing that roster, if you had read my post, was what was there PRIOR to any acquisitions. it is a baseline, then you improve it from there, as noted.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
To clarify, as fathom said, I was NOT saying that lineup I posted was a contender. I said that lineup with 2 significant upgrades could be decent. And as Jake pointed out, returns on any trade in the offseason MIGHT have an effect too.

1. I didn't put those starters in any particular order, should have clarified.

2. Santiago has a ton of talent and is just as likely to start as Johnson, in my view. But he's less consistent, and I am guessing (just my guess) that they may trade one of him or Quintana. And in that case, I'd prefer they trade Santiago.

The whole purpose of showing that roster, if you had read my post, was what was there PRIOR to any acquisitions. it is a baseline, then you improve it from there, as noted.

Sorry, I must have just skimmed it and missed the part where you mentioned 'upgrades'

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Sorry, I must have just skimmed it and missed the part where you mentioned 'upgrades'

No biggie, just wanted people to understand. Lots of people are posting hypothetical rosters with additions, so I could see how it may be confusing that I went the other way, to show what the baseline looked like.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 06:13 AM)
I think Connor will develop into a solid but not spectacular 3b if he continues to be given at bats.

The guy has one .800 OPS season in the minors (and it was in the ever inflated PCL). I don't know what about his past screams that he'd be anything league average at 3rd base. The one thing he did do was consistently post good OBP's down in the minors.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
The guy has one .800 OPS season in the minors (and it was in the ever inflated PCL). I don't know what about his past screams that he'd be anything league average at 3rd base. The one thing he did do was consistently post good OBP's down in the minors.

I think league average is something we'd really like to have and that was his point....

He can hold it down and not be a problem with the team until you get a guy with some real star potential

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)

He's not a starting caliber 3b, no way in my opinion.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

The league-average OPS at 3b this year is .731 and Miguel Cabrera's carrying a ton of that. 14 teams are getting a .701 or lower OPS out of 3b this year. Yes the Sox are one of them, but he does not need an .800 OPS to be league average.