Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
I don't know if you know Spanish and heard something different than the translation but the translator said Abreu thanked Rick Hahn first and KW second. Nitpicky, I know, but the the KW haters will flock at any chance given.

I was listening to Abreu, and the first thing I recognized was "Kenny Williams".

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 11m

KW on Abreu: "One of the things that we did not want to entertain was a guy who was just one dimensional. This guy is a hitter."

Barry Praver said eight teams had serious interest in Abreu. Five teams ended up making bids in the $60 million neighborhood

Kenny Williams said he wanted to give a standing ovation after watching Abreu work out. Only player to produce such a reaction in his tenure

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 22m

Jose Abreu can opt out of contract for arbitration with #WhiteSox after three seasons. Would be under team control.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
I hope he opts out and gets 20 million a year in arbitration!

You need to remember he goes to arbitration if he lives up to a point where he would get a raise. It would be higher than the $7M annual but most likely closer to $11 or $12.

Great deal for both teams.

Signing bonus for these guys is huge.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
The opt out for arbitration thing sucks to hear. That means his deal can only get more expensive from here. If he turns out awesome, he won't be a bargain his last couple years.

The flip side is if he is a mirage, the Sox can cut their losses

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Only if he ops out after 3 years and THEN sucks. If he sucks from the beginning, he would never opt out after 3 years.

I can't see him opting out after three years anyway. I believe the highest 4th year player award is still Ryan Howards $10mil. His 4th year is scheduled to be at $10.5 million. It would '18 and '19 that the Sox could get hit, as they comps get going to higher paid players instead of lower arb status players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
I can't see him opting out after three years anyway. I believe the highest 4th year player award is still Ryan Howards $10mil. His 4th year is scheduled to be at $10.5 million. It would '18 and '19 that the Sox could get hit, as they comps get going to higher paid players instead of lower arb status players.

I agree. He is going to have to be awesome for this to cost the Sox much more than they are locked into now. That's not bad.

People need to look at what Ryan Howard had to do to get $10 million.

Edited by Dick Allen