Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
Looking at the last 1500 at bats for each -- platoon Dunn and Konerko. If PK really wants to take small $ and be here, that is. If all three players start hitting everything, miraculously............then Dunn in LF for ...well portions of games.

I think this is a good idea and if Dunn or Konerko aren't hitting and it's the middle of May releasing/retirement is an option.

Wow can't say I'm not impressed with sox right now. I just hope he doesn't take forever to pan out. With the3rd pick in the draft you should get a ml ready player and impact player. Just hope the sox don't blow it.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Wow can't say I'm not impressed with sox right now. I just hope he doesn't take forever to pan out. With the3rd pick in the draft you should get a ml ready player and impact player. Just hope the sox don't blow it.

Right out of the draft??? That doesn't happen.

Even Bryce Harper spent 122 games in the minors before making the jump....Best case scenario would be at the midway point of 2015.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I was going to say rarely... Like, super freaking rarely.

Only pick I can think of really is Sale.

Mike Leake also comes to mind, but I don't think there's ever been a hitter to do so. The Sox don't really need a pitcher to come straight out of the draft, unless Rondon drops to us and they wanna use him as a LH bullpen arm.

Next years draft will be interesting for sure. Turner, Gatewood, Hoffman, and Kolek would be picks that made me happy.

I don't know the four well enough but my order of preference is probably...

Hoffman

Turner

Kolek

Gatewood

Thinking we end up with Turner and I'd be happy with that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Given the struggles of some other Cuban players, I am a bit worried about how well he will play in the majors. But I absolutely love the move either way.

Fact is, with the price/age of MLB free agents, the Sox lack of 1b prospects, and other team's unwillingness to give up young players, this was a risk that is necessary and worth the gamble. It's impossible to just find a 26-year old slugger and only have to pay him $10 million/year for a long contract. Look at the Tigers. They wanted a slugging 1b. Now they have a declining fatboy who can't get a postseason hit, and they still owe him $168 million.

:lol:

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Mike Leake also comes to mind, but I don't think there's ever been a hitter to do so. The Sox don't really need a pitcher to come straight out of the draft, unless Rondon drops to us and they wanna use him as a LH bullpen arm.

Wasn't there a 1b that came up with the mariners I wanted to say and played a few year for redsox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
He has career splits of .264/.306/.432/.738 and was expected to perform better than that. Wily Mo Pena put up .259/.316/.527/.843 one year too. He busted in a big way. Typically, guys with little plate discipline who strike out and don't play good defense aren't long for the league.

And I'm not saying he can't improve or shed that bust label. He certainly can.

Saying he is a bust means he can't.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
I don't think Xavier Nady, John Olerud or Jim Abbot played in the minors.

You're kinda right, but Nady and Olerud had a combined 9 Abs their first years, and Nady was sent down the following year. Interestingly enough Nady was a 2nd rounder and Olerud was a 3rd.

Abbot didn't spend anytime in the minors but I acknowledged that pitchers have done it.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
As a NC State grad and avid follower of their team - I'd be ecstatic if we landed either Rodon or Turner.

Turner would be quite the catch. Speed, live bat, power, you name it.

I started out iffy on Turner because I wasn't sure about his power but enough reports have convinced me otherwise that he'll probably have above average power for a SS and he most certainly will stay there.

Could you imagine the potential R-L combo of Trey Turner and Micah Johnson at the top of the order??? Yeesus.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Could you imagine the potential R-L combo of Trey Turner and Micah Johnson at the top of the order??? Yeesus.

Turner is 17 and in high school still right now right?

So when he's 23 and at an age when guys would normally be pushing the big leagues...it'll be 2019 and we'll be gearing up for the primaries for the 2020 election?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)

So when he's 23 and at an age when guys would normally be pushing the big leagues...it'll be 2019 and we'll be gearing up for the primaries for the 2020 election?

Trea Turner will be a Jr this year at NC State

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)

Turners gonna be a Sophomore at NC State.

EDIT: Juniur, Mr. NC State who didn't have to look it up beat me lol

Edited by scs787

•"Depending on what is considered major," Abreu's signing will probably be the only major White Sox free agent move of the offseason, MLB.com's Scott Merkin writes. The Sox could still make further moves via trades, as Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham have drawn some interest from other teams.

An NL executive tells Peter Gammons that while the White Sox may have overpaid for Abreu, they have "one of the half-dozen thinnest farm systems in the game and Abreu doesn’t cost them a draft choice." Gammons also hears mixed reviews of Abreu from a scout and a general manager, though the GM's team still offered Abreu $40MM.

Per MLB Rumors

This better not be all free agent wise for Hahn and bringing PK back does nothing for me.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)

Obama running for his fourth term?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
•"Depending on what is considered major," Abreu's signing will probably be the only major White Sox free agent move of the offseason, MLB.com's Scott Merkin writes. The Sox could still make further moves via trades, as Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham have drawn some interest from other teams.

Per MLB Rumors

This better not be all free agent wise for Hahn and bringing PK back does nothing for me.

It's all posturing. Just like Hanh said the DAY OF the Abreu signing that nothing will be happening for a while.

It's that time of year to read between the lines and rely on critical thinking.

2 + 2 = 5

Really wouldn't surprise me if there's no more "Major" pieces added through FA. McCann is the only major piece that makes sense. I wouldn't consider Salty major, and a guy like Dejesus certainly wouldn't be major.

It's gonna be all about what they can get via trade....Beckham getting some interest is somewhat surprising. I'd be all for taking what we can get for him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
It's all posturing. Just like Hanh said the DAY OF the Abreu signing that nothing will be happening for a while.

It's that time of year to read between the lines and rely on critical thinking.

2 + 2 = 5

Plus it's only 11M. If this dude even sniffs any kind of potential then it's a steal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
Ah, ok, my bad, can never tell when guys are in HS or college from posts here. Apologies.

No big deal. It's the one time ever where my alumni has a relevant player that could be drafted by the sox.

Freshman year he probably stole 30+ bases. He had a foot injury this year that slowed him down. I could see him being a 20-30 SB player in the big leagues.

He's been playing short stop and has a great arm. Not sure if he could project to CF. He's still pretty lanky and will fill out so maybe some more power potential? I would think his HR potential would be in the 20ish range.

I'm a huge fan but maybe I'm drinking the koolaid since I watch a lot of the games. Just my two cents