Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Given the struggles of some other Cuban players, I am a bit worried about how well he will play in the majors. But I absolutely love the move either way.

Fact is, with the price/age of MLB free agents, the Sox lack of 1b prospects, and other team's unwillingness to give up young players, this was a risk that is necessary and worth the gamble. It's impossible to just find a 26-year old slugger and only have to pay him $10 million/year for a long contract. Look at the Tigers. They wanted a slugging 1b. Now they have a declining fatboy who can't get a postseason hit, and they still owe him $168 million.

Which Cuban players have really struggled though? The ones I can think of have been very good to league average. Are there some busts I'm missing?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Keith Law's Insider reaction piece essentially says that this is a weird move for the White Sox because it's risky and that Abreu has a good chance of declining rapidly by the time the Sox are contending in a few years.

Keith Law is a dumbass

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Keith Law's Insider reaction piece essentially says that this is a weird move for the White Sox because it's risky and that Abreu has a good chance of declining rapidly by the time the Sox are contending in a few years.

While I don't have expectations for contending in 2014, maybe the Sox feel like with Chris Sale as an ace, they have to force the issue right now. There's no point in keeping an ace pitcher on a perennial losing team (you hear that, Mariners?).

Hey, the Sox have money to spend, some pieces to trade, some prospects that look promising. Let's see what they can do by Opening day, 2015. They could be a contender by then.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Which Cuban players have really struggled though? The ones I can think of have been very good to league average. Are there some busts I'm missing?

Cespedes had a down year at the plate. Viciedo has still not broken through. With the contract the Sox gave him, they are expecting him to be much better than league average. The guy has never played in the US before, so there is no guarantees.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
I just can't believe people call a guy that hit 25 home runs as a 23 year old rookie a bust. He struggled last year. A sophomore campaign in which he only had 470 PA's due to injuries.

I'm with ya... Brotha.

Seriously think Dayan has a great chance to break out this year if he can stay healthy.

Sophomore slump / growing pains / injuries are how I define his 2013.

Still have mucho faith in The Tank!

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
I just can't believe people call a guy that hit 25 home runs as a 23 year old rookie a bust. He struggled last year. A sophomore campaign in which he only had 470 PA's due to injuries.

He has career splits of .264/.306/.432/.738 and was expected to perform better than that. Wily Mo Pena put up .259/.316/.527/.843 one year too. He busted in a big way. Typically, guys with little plate discipline who strike out and don't play good defense aren't long for the league.

And I'm not saying he can't improve or shed that bust label. He certainly can.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
If Viciedo was a high draft pick that received a $10M bonus, would he be a bust already?

You mean like Beckham after his 3rd season? Most believed he was a bust at that point, but you still give them time to improve.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)

Guys, please don't fall for the offseason hype thing, just cause it's offseason. I'm excited about adding Abreau, but yes, Viciedo has been a bust and please don't include Dunn in any 3-4-5-6 lineup projections, acting like Dunn is some sort of feared hitter/stud. Let's let it play out, but don't make guys seem like great hitters/players, just cause it's offseason. Add Beckham to that group, too.

Look at it this way, if we had a game tomorrow, would you want to watch Viciedo, Beckham or Dunn step to the plate? I would hope the answer is no. Maybe after a long offseason I can stomach watching them again.And maybe Viciedo will become a stud. I think we hope that, but as of now he is a terribly undisciplined hitter who belts a deep one once in a while and Beckham is average at very best.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
You mean like Beckham after his 3rd season? Most believed he was a bust at that point, but you still give them time to improve.

Beckham doesn't have the tools Viciedo does and Viciedo has been better. Viciedo has been a disappointment, but nowhere near a bust.

If Viciedo was projected to be a superstar, he would have signed for a hell of a lot more.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Beckham doesn't have the tools Viciedo does and Viciedo has been better. Viciedo has been a disappointment, but nowhere near a bust.

If Viciedo was projected to be a superstar, he would have signed for a hell of a lot more.

Nevermind that Viciedo has never shown the level of sustained success that Beckham did his rookie year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
What gets lost in the overall numbers with Viciedo, is that his bat goes silent for months at a time. He's so inconsistent, and you never trust him to get a run in when has to be driven in.

His upside, to me, right now seems like that of Juan Uribe. Swing as hard as he can and hits it once in a while. I also agree it 'could' change and hopefully it will.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
What gets lost in the overall numbers with Viciedo, is that his bat goes silent for months at a time. He's so inconsistent, and you never trust him to get a run in when has to be driven in.

You mean the guy who hit .313 with RISP, and .340 with RISP w/2 outs this year?