Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Yes, it's worth reiterating, when many of you continue to suggest acquiring more right handed hitters.If Hahn spends big money on another right handed hitter, I'll be shocked. Forget names such as Corey Hart, John Buck,

Marlon Byrd etc.

Moreover, there was more to my post, which only mentioned the need for the left handed hitter as the context in which I was speculating about the rest of the roster, and the lineup.

What is your suggestion, beyond that I not belabor the need for a left handed hitter?

Please point out the posts refuting yours and insisting on more right handed hitters? 2 new threads on players we should acquire popped up last night, both McCann and Salty hit lefthanded(salty SH of course). Plus, Curtis Granderson has his own thread as well. The idea of a balanced lineup permeates the site.

My suggestion is to not point out every statement you make "I think we need an elite lefthanded hitter" as if this is some new thing that nobody has ever wanted on this team before and everyone is arguing against.

WE KNOW

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple questions I have.

What do you call someone who has never played MLB? Rookie? Prospect?

What will it take for him to adjust to the league? He's already ready! A spring training to adjust? A month of the regular season? Once around the league? A season?

Are expectations too high?

Is ROTY the minimum to meet expectations?

I'm excited that the horizon the team is looking at to return to contention is 0-6 years. This sends a strong message.

The Sox were in the perfect position to overpay to get home runs. They need home runs at the Cell, there's a vacancy at 1B, and there was a lack of power bats on the free agent market. Plus most of the Sox prospects are fast guys that don't hit homers. So they overpaid to get 25-35 homers from Abreu.

My expectations are low for him to be an MVP-type player, but if he hits 175 homers over the next 6 years, he will have been worth it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
When they had some old scouting reports out on the internet last summer, did you happen to read a few of the reports on Frank Thomas? One said it was doubtful he could hit .250. I wouldn't be too freaked out about certain reports. He obviously can hit at least a little bit or teams like Boston and Texas wouldn't be offering him at least $40 million.

And again, I wouldn't be freaked out about a guy who might not hit perfect pitches. There aren't many guys that can do that. This is an exciting signing. Enjoy it. Maybe he won't live up to the hype, but at worst he should be serviceable.

The other benefit is, supposedly this guy, just like Cespedes and Puig, is in a lot better shape now than he was when he was putting up these ridiculous numbers.

I probably would have seen Frank and thought something similar. I like bat speed and effortless swings. Frank had a slow bat and a very mechanical swing. It worked because he had an unbelievable eye and strength so he could start his swing early and make adjustments. It caught up with him late in his career when he morphed into a power hitting beast.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
I love the analysis, "He does not hit #1 and #2 pitchers very." Very few hitters hit #1 and #2 pitchers very well, most good numbers come from hitting the #3-#5 starters.

Perfect example of this is Alphonso Soriano.

It seems from what I read, even the guys down on him say he is going to kill the lower end guys.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:53 AM)
I would love Jaso on this team. You can hit him leadoff or second (I have a feeling he won't hit leadoff with Robin as manager).

DeJesus would be a fine platoon partner for Viciedo. If we trade De Aza, DeJesus would be a fine replacement in center.

If it's pre 2013 Viciedo. For whatever reason after 3 years of smashing LHP and being awful against RHP, he actually was actually better against RHP than LHP this year.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 06:06 AM)
my exact thoughts..

i'm beyond ecstatic, but the bleacher report scouting thing that said he struggles to cover a 92 mph inside fastball...

that doesn't exactly scream MLB hitter.

I don't really understand where this is coming from.

In Cuba, scouts aren't allowed to set foot near a live game - let along bring a radar gun in.

In his WBC games he hit almost .400...

So you're telling me that a hitter better than Cespedes and Puig can't turn on mediocre heat?

I seriously doubt it.

I will only believe this scouting report if it becomes evident during spring training.

The guy hasn't been a big strike out guy so far in 7 out of 8 seasons in Cuba.

If he has some thou me in his rookie year but can make he adjustment - that's all that matters and really, to me... That's the most likely worst case scenario.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Supposedly 4 other teams made bids between $63-$66 million on Abreu according to Rosenthal

I guess it's comforting to know that four other teams were in the same ballpark and had the same confidence that Abreu can hit major league pitching right now.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't really understand where this is coming from.

In Cuba, scouts aren't allowed to set foot near a live game - let along bring a radar gun in.

In his WBC games he hit almost .400...

So you're telling me that a hitter better than Cespedes and Puig can't turn on mediocre heat?

I seriously doubt it.

I will only believe this scouting report if it becomes evident during spring training.

The guy hasn't been a big strike out guy so far in 7 out of 8 seasons in Cuba.

If he has some thou me in his rookie year but can make he adjustment - that's all that matters and really, to me... That's the most likely worst case scenario.

This is probably my White Sox fan angst coming out, but I think it's coming from he didn't sign with one of the media darling teams, so it's not being spun in an overly positive way.... again, probably angst, but I think if NYY, Red Sox or Cubs the positive scouting reports would be pushed.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
This is probably my White Sox fan angst coming out, but I think it's coming from he didn't sign with one of the media darling teams, so it's not being spun in an overly positive way.... again, probably angst, but I think if NYY, Red Sox or Cubs the positive scouting reports would be pushed.

If the Yankees or Red Sox had signed this guy ESPN would have cancelled all other programming for a day to talk about it.

Given the struggles of some other Cuban players, I am a bit worried about how well he will play in the majors. But I absolutely love the move either way.

Fact is, with the price/age of MLB free agents, the Sox lack of 1b prospects, and other team's unwillingness to give up young players, this was a risk that is necessary and worth the gamble. It's impossible to just find a 26-year old slugger and only have to pay him $10 million/year for a long contract. Look at the Tigers. They wanted a slugging 1b. Now they have a declining fatboy who can't get a postseason hit, and they still owe him $168 million.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Keith Law's Insider reaction piece essentially says that this is a weird move for the White Sox because it's risky and that Abreu has a good chance of declining rapidly by the time the Sox are contending in a few years.

Yeah that's stupid