Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
I watched it before they left. It was fun to see Cowherd bash the Sox/Bulls/Bears/Blackhawks every day.

No, not even close to fun. There is nothing that Colin Cowherd could do that I would watch or listen to and think "man, this is fun."

Seems pretty apparent from this whitesox.com article that the Sox didn't just submit the high bid in the blind bid process. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/phil-r...p;vkey=news_cws

This was Hahn's first major deal, and he expressed his interest early to agents Barry Praver, Scott Shapiro and Bart Hernandez and stayed in touch, upping the ante several times before agreeing to terms two weeks ago. "There were times you had doubts about the ability to get this done,'' Hahn admitted. "But we stayed regularly in touch with them and never felt in the dark. That helped my level of anxiety.''

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2013102...orts/710299818/

"I've seen a lot of great ones over my 32 years of professional baseball, and this is the first time that I've wanted to stand up and give a standing ovation after a batting practice," Williams gushed during a one-on-one interview at the Cell. "Even the preparation leading up to batting practice, where I watched him hitting off the tee in the cage, that preparation, that focus, that attention to detail ... before he's going to take batting practice, which is generally just an exhibition in bat speed and power and guys trying to crank it, he took a batting practice like he was going to play in a major-league game that night."

Like Abreu, in a sense, Williams was just getting warmed up.

"During the batting practice, it was a low maintenance, soft, quiet load of his hands," Williams said. "And his lower half and his hands worked as well as I've seen a right-handed hitter's hands work down through the ball, and the ball explodes off his bat, but in a line-drive manner. When he hits the tape-measure shots, it's almost as thought he missed hitting a line drive and now he's got backspin on the ball. At one point I asked Marco, 'How far is that left-field fence out there, 250 (feet)?' Because the ball was going so far beyond the fence, I was like, 'It can't be 330, 340.' (Paddy) said, 'No, it's 340.'"

I think the Sox should do some TV ads right away about Abreu . Show footage of his WBC highlights while showing his stat lines from the WBC and Cuban League. Ask him to do some batting practice at the Cell before it gets too cold and film it and the last part of the commercials showing him at the Cell in full uniform interspersed with clips of the scoreboard exploding and thousands of fans cheering . End it with a catch phrase like white letters on a black background saying " THE FUTURE IS NOW ." This commercial ending only is good if we can add some more quality pieces. Fans need to move on from the Konerko era. Get some quotes from Konerko and The Big Hurt endorsing Abreu as part of the commercial too

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
I think the Sox should do some TV ads right away about Abreu . Show footage of his WBC highlights while showing his stat lines from the WBC and Cuban League. Ask him to do some batting practice at the Cell before it gets too cold and film it and the last part of the commercials showing him at the Cell in full uniform interspersed with clips of the scoreboard exploding and thousands of fans cheering . End it with a catch phrase like white letters on a black background saying " THE FUTURE IS NOW ." This commercial ending only is good if we can add some more quality pieces. Fans need to move on from the Konerko era. Get some quotes from Konerko and The Big Hurt endorsing Abreu as part of the commercial too

That really is a great idea. Forwarded to brooks.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)

IMO, I'm sure they will use him some...but it's going to be hard to sell a guy who we have never seen on the field. Esp. one who doesn't speak much English yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
IMO, I'm sure they will use him some...but it's going to be hard to sell a guy who we have never seen on the field. Esp. one who doesn't speak much English yet.

Mashing home runs out of the cell is the only language he needs to speak in a promo spot :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
And he needs to play there first and hit some of those home runs. Once that happens, then we have a promo spot.

I like the idea of a batting practice spot... A preview of what's to come. Can't hurt in continuing to build buzz... Even if it's only released online. Thing would go viral stat.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 51s

Abreu gets $10-mil signing bonus and $7 mil in 2014 and 2015, $10 mil in 2016, $10.5 mil in 2017, $11.5 mil in 2018 and $12 mil in 2019.

Is the entire $10M bonus paid up front? In other words, is he actually getting $17M for 2014?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
Is the entire $10M bonus paid up front? In other words, is he actually getting $17M for 2014?

It obviously depends on the language of the contract, but that's how these things are generally handled with that money being allotted towards this year's luxury tax number.

Which I think turns out to be fantastic. I really feel like we won't come near what would be our highest possible payroll. Paying more for Abreu in a year when the payroll is down will be nice years down the road when we should be competing annually.

Yes, I'd been hoping that any major free agent signing would be front-loaded. Don't have too much money tied up in 2015+ when contending is more realistic.