• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May is 2/5, 2B, RBI, 2 SB

Barnum 2/4, 2B, RBI, BB

2 IP, 2 H, 3 K for Danish

3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K for Powers

Erik Johnson, 8 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5K. His ERA is now a disgusting 1.59 ERA is 45 IP. Combined 2.01 ERA through 130 IP in AA and AAA. Just a dominating season. Can't wait to see him get a shot at the rotation in the spring.

Erik Johnson 8 IP 7 hits 1 BB 5 Ks 0 runs!!!....ERA down to 1.59

Semien 2-3...Garcia 1-3...Wilkins 1-3 with a HR

Chris Beck roughed up...5 IP 11 hits 1 BB 3 Ks 6 Rs (5 ER)

Thompson hit #13...Jacobs 0-4...Walker 0-3...Mitchell 0-3

Micah 1-5...DeMichele 2-5...Curley hit #23 & at 89 RBIs...Hawkins 1-4 no Ks

May 2-4 with 2 steals...Anderson 1-5...Coats 2-5 hit # 12...Barnum 2-4...Rondon 2-4

Danish 2 IP 2 hits 3 Ks now a 1.38 ERA

Who is the odd man out in the rotation next year? Seems to me Erik Johnson needs to be up here and there are too many pitchers doing solid work at the major league level for the Sox. God I would love to get rid of Danks and that contract.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Who is the odd man out in the rotation next year? Seems to me Erik Johnson needs to be up here and there are too many pitchers doing solid work at the major league level for the Sox. God I would love to get rid of Danks and that contract.

Not sure, but it is a nice problem to have, yeah? Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson... pick your 5.

As for Danks, he's in his first season back from surgery. No one should expect him to be back to form - he is getting innings, much as Peavy did his first season back. Next year is the real test.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)

IMO someone is getting traded for a real hitter. Whether that is Danks, Santiago, Quintana... who knows.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
IMO someone is getting traded for a real hitter. Whether that is Danks, Santiago, Quintana... who knows.

This seems to be consensus around here, and I'd like to see it happen. If I had my choice, I'd move Santiago and try to extend Quintana.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
This seems to be consensus around here, and I'd like to see it happen. If I had my choice, I'd move Santiago and try to extend Quintana.

I am frankly comfortable with either moving forward, so I would look to move the one who gets me the best return.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Not sure, but it is a nice problem to have, yeah? Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson... pick your 5.

As for Danks, he's in his first season back from surgery. No one should expect him to be back to form - he is getting innings, much as Peavy did his first season back. Next year is the real test.

I have tempered my expectations for Danks for this entire season prior to it starting, but regardless, I think that most of those guys can get the same job done at a fraction of the price. Since I imagine he will be a pain in the ass to move, I wouldn't mind seeing them moving Santiago. I know he has solid numbers and has pitched well this year, but there is something there just not passing the eye test to me. I dont find his offspeed stuff to be as good as Quintana's. Ideally, I would love a rotation of Sale-Johnson-Quintana-Rienzo-Danks next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
I'd much rather see Santiago dealt for a power corner infielder. And yes, I think Hector is far more likely to get traded than Quintana.

I've been trying to come up with a guess as to a 3rd baseman who would work for both sides in such a deal but I've been struggling. Any ideas? (focusing on 3b with the assumption the Sox will go hard after Abreu to fill their 1b hole and will not want to trade for a young catcher with what they currently have on their roster).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
I've been trying to come up with a guess as to a 3rd baseman who would work for both sides in such a deal but I've been struggling. Any ideas? (focusing on 3b with the assumption the Sox will go hard after Abreu to fill their 1b hole and will not want to trade for a young catcher with what they currently have on their roster).

Quintana for Headley. I wouldn't like it, especially given Headley's pending free agency. However, the Padres are desperate for pitching and Sox are desperate for corner infielders.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Quintana for Headley. I wouldn't like it, especially given Headley's pending free agency. However, the Padres are desperate for pitching and Sox are desperate for corner infielders.

That's an abjectly awful idea and you know it. Take a look for a second at how bad Headley's really been this year. Gillaspie has hit more home runs than him. His 99 RC+ is basically league average. I'd 100% rather put Gillaspie and Keppinger out there again next year than give up something of value for Headley.

Quintana's price ought to be through the roof. That concept is a joke. Lindstrom for Headley makes more sense.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
I could see a Santiago/Quintana trade to LAA for Bourjos +.

When Southsider speculated about Sox trading a pitcher for a 'real hitter', I bet he was thinking about a much better hitter than Bourjos. I know he has some great speed, even tho it hasn't translated to SB's, but Sox need a much bigger bat. Bourjos is not as good as De Aza offensively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
That's an abjectly awful idea and you know it. Take a look for a second at how bad Headley's really been this year. Gillaspie has hit more home runs than him. His 99 RC+ is basically league average. I'd 100% rather put Gillaspie and Keppinger out there again next year than give up something of value for Headley.

Quintana's price ought to be through the roof. That concept is a joke. Lindstrom for Headley makes more sense.

I agree it would be an awful deal, but it is one of the few teams with a corner infielder that will likely be on the market that is also desperate for pitching. And looking back, I meant to write Santiago and not Quintana (as I had said earlier in the thread that Hector was more likely to get moved, IMO). I would still hate that trade though.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
I agree it would be an awful deal, but it is one of the few teams with a corner infielder that will likely be on the market that is also desperate for pitching. And looking back, I meant to write Santiago and not Quintana (as I had said earlier in the thread that Hector was more likely to get moved, IMO). I would still hate that trade though.

You could probably talk me into Snodgress for him and maybe Rienzo for him. That's where is value is based on his salary, FA status, and production this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)

They need a hitter (more like two) more than a 3B. The easiest positions to find one are LF/1B. Quintana, Santiago, need to be dealt for the best young hitter available.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
If the Padres aren't going to resign Headley, and they need pitching that badly, why couldn't you just deal them Rienzo and Snodgress for Headley? Personally, I have no problem with that deal.

Headley is too big of a risk.

I didn't realize he was already 29. Still, he seems to be a pretty good defensive 3B while generally showing an above average bat. He might not be the 145 wRC+ guy he showed last year, but I don't think he's the 99 wRC+ he has shown this year either. I think he'd prove to be an above average bat with good defense and mediocre to poor base running.

The question remains how long he can do that. Even if you trade for him, how long can you realistically expect him to stay healthy and productive? That's where I toe the line.

They can have Rienzo and Mitchell then. There's just no legitimate way I can deal them one of the stud lefties