8/24 Games

flavum

Great game to be at tonight, W-S. Saw Recchia, Wendelken pitch, DeMichele GS and another HR, got 8 more guys interviewed, took a bunch of video.

On the bad side, Hawkins looked outright lost at the plate, and I had to watch Micah get hurt.

I did get to see this from a few feet away though:

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)

A couple thoughts on DeMichele, though I want to save some for the articles...

1. He had just gotten going with the bat when the moved him to SS... and I am sure that had an effect, as he then went into a slump. He's been red-hot in August, and I think he's ready for AA.

2. On defense, he's getting a really bad rap... but in the game I was at, he looked solid, and in fact made one very tough play up the middle.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
And in other news Mitchell whiffed four times in four at bats.

Any chance he simply quits?

I think he will get released. People will say his injury was what derailed him, but he fanned a lot at Kanny before he was hurt. If you cant't make contact in A ball, chances are, you aren't going to make contact at higher levels. I know its unfair, but I wonder what the Sox roster would look like had they taken Trout instead of Mitchell. Probably very different.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball 2m

Kannapolis RHP Tyler Danish 86-90 w/big sink, 78-80 SL with bite, 81-83 CH. Still can't get over the arm action.

I can't get over an upper 80s fastball from a RHP. That's what concerns me about him. Pretty limited upside for pitchers like that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
I can't get over an upper 80s fastball from a RHP. That's what concerns me about him. Pretty limited upside for pitchers like that.

Definitely a concern. However...

1. The gun in Kanny was a bit inconsistent and inaccurate while I was there. I was using the readings from the scout sitting next to me as a result. The gun is literally being used by hand from the radio booth up high. Just something to keep in mind.

2. He's on limited innings, and they may also be telling him to not worry about velocity. I had at least one guy say that specifically, can't remember if it was Tyler or not though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
I think he will get released. People will say his injury was what derailed him, but he fanned a lot at Kanny before he was hurt. If you cant't make contact in A ball, chances are, you aren't going to make contact at higher levels. I know its unfair, but I wonder what the Sox roster would look like had they taken Trout instead of Mitchell. Probably very different.

Releasing him would be odd. He's still not that old. I'm not about to place any bets about his future, but there's no reason to let someone else roll the dice with him for nothing

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:53 AM)

1. The gun in Kanny was a bit inconsistent and inaccurate while I was there. I was using the readings from the scout sitting next to me as a result. The gun is literally being used by hand from the radio booth up high. Just something to keep in mind.

2. He's on limited innings, and they may also be telling him to not worry about velocity. I had at least one guy say that specifically, can't remember if it was Tyler or not though.

"big sink" a huge factor in me being unalarmed by the number - that tells me he probably has at least a couple more mph in the tank if he wanted to throw a straighter heater

Also, he's probably far, far into uncharted territory in terms of innings. He probably won't be totally back to normal until he has a couple months off at the end of the year. I like how we've treaded lightly with him

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 01:53 AM)

3. He's at the end of a full season, after throwing a full high school season followed by 2 months in the minors. He's on the "build up arm strength" path.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
It's certainly possible. He's only really had one bad month and he's had a great August.

He had two abysmal months. I find it hard to understand how he's promotable after having a really pedestrian year. He didn't even do that well in Kannapolis last year.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
He had two abysmal months. I find it hard to understand how he's promotable after having a really pedestrian year. He didn't even do that well in Kannapolis last year.

OK, I misread his stats. Also, I wouldn't really call it a promotion when an offseason is involved. I'm not saying put him in AA for the playoffs, but he could see AA next year.