Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
And, finally, is DeAza actually a good deal at $4.4 million? As a starter for 4th outfielder. Because it's not wise to pay Jeff Keppingers and DeAza's of the world that kind of money to be bench depth/back-ups. If you're a playoff contender, it's a different story.

Wherever it's been floated that De Aza would be a 4th outfielder is just silly. Hahn is obviously smarter than that. If the Sox go sign a center fielder De Aza would either be traded or moved to left with Viciedo moving to 1B/DH.

Edited by Vance Law

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
To me, Granderson/Morales or any other clear short term rental is out of the question, not because we don't have the payroll, but because of the cost of a draft pick. I'd give up the pick to get my starting C for the next five years, but not for a has-been to bridge a gap and make the fans think we're trying.

Exactly. McCann or Salty for at least 4 years. All the more reason why Abreu makes so much sense.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
I think the fit is definitely there.

To me it all depends on what the contract is and whether he'll cut his hair.

Seriously? You're just jealous you can't rock a perm. lol

I'd be all for Salty if they miss out on McCann. His numbers vs RHP are comparable to McCann so there's that.

If we are talking what we'd have to pay, I'd offer him at most 3 yrs/$25M. He wouldn't accept that offer though.

I get that he is coming off of a career year, and he's likely to be worth $10M a year to some other team if he can have a season halfway between his norm and his breaking 2013 year, but I just don't think he fits the time frame for this team.

The #1 target will be Abreu. Apparently the second target will be Grandy for CF... They need to address the catcher position... But McCann will be too pricey... Salty is nice... but wouldn't he fit into the "band aide" category? I guess anything is better than the Phegley/Flowers nightmare... What about the rotation? We need one more Righty... I want Ervin Santana... Might as well make the strength of this team stronger....

Sale, Santana, Quintana, Johnson, Danks, Santiago.... Not bad

I don't know guys... if his true talent is 2013 Salty, he could be a real solid contributor for several years. He'll only be 29 next year, and he just put up a 3.7 WAR season. A lot of that is from above average defense. I'd pay $8m a year for 3-4 WAR for the next 4 years without blinking.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't know guys... if his true talent is 2013 Salty, he could be a real solid contributor for several years. He'll only be 29 next year, and he just put up a 3.7 WAR season. A lot of that is from above average defense. I'd pay $8m a year for 3-4 WAR for the next 4 years without blinking.

He is well worth $8M a year if he repeats his 2013, but the question would be if he can repeat it, and the other question is whether any of that will matter to a team that just lost 99 games. I don't see us being a playoff contender for 3 more years, which is pretty much the entirety of a deal Salty would get.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)

What is the downward OPS/WAR correction from that Boston Red Sox offense to the White Sox, where there would be a lot less protection and definitely more offensive production expected...more pressure to earn his contract?

I don't think you do it, unless you can get some other pieces in place (let's say, Chris Young, Abreu and offensive improvement at 2B/SS/3B).

If you sign Abreu, you almost have to go out and sign 2 more players (let's Chris Young and Salty) to make a true run at it.

Or trade Santiago/Quintana in conjunction with signing 2 players.

(Wish we would have taken a stab at CoCo Crisp a couple of years ago, but we probably wouldn't have been the same player for us he has been with the A's.) Two years ago, of course, DeAza was coming off a freakishly high 2nd half OPS, and it would have been hard to justify going out and getting a similar type of player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
Well, he's a switch hitter, but I'm sure he will bat lefty as some point, yeah.

I was just going to ask if he stopped switch hitting. I'd seen several posts talking about him being a lefty, and I was sure he was a switch hitter. If I remember correctly, during one of Hawk's ramblings during a Sox vs. Sox game, he mentioned that he's much better from the left side of the plate.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 01:03 AM)
He is well worth $8M a year if he repeats his 2013, but the question would be if he can repeat it, and the other question is whether any of that will matter to a team that just lost 99 games. I don't see us being a playoff contender for 3 more years, which is pretty much the entirety of a deal Salty would get.

What's happening in 3 years? If we don't start adding pieces right now, it's going to take a lot longer than that. Catcher in particular should be a high priority spot, as having a veteran catcher can only help develop our young pitching. And it's not like we have any catching prospect that will be ready anytime soon.

I also don't think Salty is going to break the bank. He's roughly the same age as Russell Martin was last year but has been a less productive player, and Martin only got $15M over two years. I think Salty will get more than that in this free agent environment, but $25/3 or $33/4 both seem reasonable to me.

A Salty/Phegley platoon will get us way more production than we got out of the catcher's spot in 2013. Using our excess cash to improve the offense is the smart way to quickly become competitive again, especially when sound opportunities present themselves at key positions. I honestly really like the Salty idea if Hahn plans on adding a legit hitter at 1B and improving one other position. Make those three moves and a couple more deals next offseason and suddenly 2015 seems like a real chance to be competitive again.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 01:03 AM)

Yes, we all know you don't think the Sox will compete next year. You say it in every thread. But I think you are dead wrong. If the Sox were to land Abreu and McCann/Salty, I don't think that there is any reason to believe they won't be a +.500 team next year with the rotation that they have.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 06:26 AM)
What's happening in 3 years? If we don't start adding pieces right now, it's going to take a lot longer than that. Catcher in particular should be a high priority spot, as having a veteran catcher can only help develop our young pitching. And it's not like we have any catching prospect that will be ready anytime soon.

I also don't think Salty is going to break the bank. He's roughly the same age as Russell Martin was last year but has been a less productive player, and Martin only got $15M over two years. I think Salty will get more than that in this free agent environment, but $25/3 or $33/4 both seem reasonable to me.

A Salty/Phegley platoon will get us way more production than we got out of the catcher's spot in 2013. Using our excess cash to improve the offense is the smart way to quickly become competitive again, especially when sound opportunities present themselves at key positions. I honestly really like the Salty idea if Hahn plans on adding a legit hitter at 1B and improving one other position. Make those three moves and a couple more deals next offseason and suddenly 2015 seems like a real chance to be competitive again.

Big difference here is that Russell Martin was coming off a career worst year where he hit only .211 and Salty is coming of a career best year. Hard to compare the two cases.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Big difference here is that Russell Martin was coming off a career worst year where he hit only .211 and Salty is coming of a career best year. Hard to compare the two cases.

Again, the Red Sox top minor league catcher, Lavarnway, has not proven he is ready. The back-up in Boston, Ross, is a career back-up guy. The Red Sox will most likely want to re-sign Salty and since the team has had success and he has daughters in school I would think he will want to stay in Boston. He hit righties well this year and really struggled w lefties but he is a switchhitter.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
Again, the Red Sox top minor league catcher, Lavarnway, has not proven he is ready. The back-up in Boston, Ross, is a career back-up guy. The Red Sox will most likely want to re-sign Salty and since the team has had success and he has daughters in school I would think he will want to stay in Boston. He hit righties well this year and really struggled w lefties but he is a switchhitter.

I've seen some people suggest that Boston and NYY could both be serious bidders on McCann.