2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Terrible deal. Especially with the way the A's make pitching. Just not a move I'd make if I was them.

Kazmir was pretty good last year, but expecting Kazmir to keep that up is not something I'd bet on.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Terrible deal. Especially with the way the A's make pitching. Just not a move I'd make if I was them.

If this is a terrible deal, then there is not going to be one good deal in free agency this year. Have you seen the FA SP market? This could be the best SP contract handed out, and it certainly won't be the worst. So what if the A's paid a few extra million to not have to commit to the 3rd year. It's a great move, IMO. It's low risk w/ plenty of upside.

Kazmir was finally back healthy. His stuff was back last year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
LOL. Paying Scott Kazmir 11 million a year is not a low risk. Not in this market, not in 2018's market. You do realize Josh Johnson signed 1 year 8 million and Hughes signed 2 year 16 million right?

Hughes signed for 3/24. A 2 year deal in this FA market, is low risk. I like both JJ and Kazmir's deals, though I view JJ's performance for next year far more up in the air than Kazmir's, and I think many would agree.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
He's never been that good and he hasn't played like a starting MLB 2nd baseman. He's at the point where his salary would start going up from arbitration and there's no reason to pay him more money to be a below-average 2b. You can call up 27 year olds from the minors to do that for minimum salary.

That he's had better numbers than Beckham is an indictment of Beckham more than anything, it shows how bad Beckham has been.

Beckham career wRC+ - 86 2014 projection - 92

Getz career wRC+ - 67 2014 projection - 72

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
Wow, apparently the Yankees are not willing to offer any more than 7 yrs/$175M for Cano. That comes out to $25M a year. That's the most realistic figure I've seen so far. I wouldn't want the Sox to pay that, but it's barely above what I'd probably offer, which would be 7 yrs/$155M.

I'd go 7/175 with Cano. I'd try to frontload, but I'd do it.

More interesting, perhaps, is that Beane was one of, if not the first, to really correct the overvaluing of closers several years back by trading his away. Perhaps he believes the pendulum has now swung back too far in the other direction...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
More interesting, perhaps, is that Beane was one of, if not the first, to really correct the overvaluing of closers several years back by trading his away. Perhaps he believes the pendulum has now swung back too far in the other direction...

I agree. It definitely appears to be an anti-Moneyball move.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Nathan to Detroit. Sort of explains the Fister deal.

The more free agents off the board before the Winter Meetings, the more exciting they will be.

Depends on how many teams looking for things we have will be taken care of by that point