2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

With the Twins, the obvious problem is/has been starting pitching.

Their defense has deteriorated considerably from when it was considered the best in the business.

Hicks is a good, even great defender, but then you have a lot of these guys like Dozier and Plouffe that struggle in the field, Sano's projected to be a defensive problem at 3B, Willingham isn't much in LF...Florimon is a lot like Alexei Ramirez, where he can make some outstanding plays and then mess up the routine ones. Doumit's a mess, etc. They went away from those speed guys like Revere and Span that weren't going to put up more than 5-8 homers per season, but they lost something in the transition.

I always feared Span about as much as anyone on the Twins because he was just pesky...not in the Lew Ford, Denny Hocking, Matthew LeCroy/Blanco way...he was actually a very good player (at least in the Dome) but not quite good enough that you could build around him and afford to pay him $8-10 million per season.

That, and the lack of overall speed/athleticism (Buxton/Hicks notwithstanding) as well as the issues with the bullpen. I still remember when it was Hawkins/Romero/Guardado and then eventually others filled their place/s, like Rincon, Reyes and Nathan. 95% of the time, when the game got to the 7th-8th-9th, it was OVER for opposing teams.

Then you've got a lot of guys that are serviceable, like Parmalee, but not quite good enough to be major league regulars.

And you've lost all the leadership from Hunter, Morneau, Nathan, Cuddyer and Kubel. That's a LOT to replace.

And, just like Paul Konerko, the rap against Mauer has always been that he was too laid back and easy going....that he was a great player (well, Paulie's not in the same class but the point stands) but that's not the same thing as a great team leader.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Fine, then 32 homers over 4 years.

And you're assuming he won't ever get injured again playing an unfamiliar position in 1B.

So if the White Sox announced that instead of Abreu, they'd signed Joe Mauer for the 2014-2018 seasons at a price tag of $115 million (plus bonuses/incentives for MVP, All-Star games, etc.), would you be happier with that than the Abreu deal?

Paying for his age 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 seasons.

This is not the point of contention and is completely off topic. You are saying he's unqualified to play 1B due to his numbers. His numbers clearly indicate otherwise. Even in a bad year, he provided pretty damn good value at the plate.

Sounds like the Twins are trying to get A.J. Pierzynski back. I really hope not, I don't want to dislike him again!

I was listening to a Minnesota sports talk show (which by the way is hilarious to listen to them talk about the Vikings quarterback situation, seriously some of the best comedy ever. They still don't think the Vikings are THAT bad.) But these guys were saying if A.J. comes back, do the fans instantly cheer for him, or does he have to earn them back.

That really pissed me off because it's not like he left on his own, instead he was traded. And the Twins made out like a bandit on that trade with the Giants by getting Nathan and Liriano, along with Boof Bonser. I don't know, I just think that's extremely idiotic booing him when he was traded instead of signing somewhere else, especially when the trade really helped Minnesota.

the booing of Pierzynski didnt start until he signed with the rival (at the time) White Sox ( are the Twins/Sox still rivals? or is that on the backburner until both teams are good again?)

I think the booing of him is silly (especially in recent years because there is a whole generation of Twins fans that never saw him play in a Twins uniform. Same with the hand wringin over losing David Ortiz. ), but he seemed to love it. If he signs, there will be a ticker tape parade.

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)
the booing of Pierzynski didnt start until he signed with the rival (at the time) White Sox ( are the Twins/Sox still rivals? or is that on the backburner until both teams are good again?)

I think the booing of him is silly (especially in recent years because there is a whole generation of Twins fans that never saw him play in a Twins uniform. Same with the hand wringin over losing David Ortiz. ), but he seemed to love it. If he signs, there will be a ticker tape parade.

They're still rivals, all teams within the division are rivals to some extent.

Anyways, AJ would still probably be cheered, even as a Twin, and then he'll plow over Flowers or Phegley at the plate and he'll be booed like crazy.

Also, I would expect Mauer to hit better after moving to 1B full time. MLB catchers get really tired. They get tired after games and they get tired during games. I remember listening to some catchers talking about how you often end up wasting at bats later in the games because your body is so worn down.

Mauer should be in really good shape playing first base only. He'll be a better late-game player and he'll play 40 more games without extra detriment to his body.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Also, I would expect Mauer to hit better after moving to 1B full time. MLB catchers get really tired. They get tired after games and they get tired during games. I remember listening to some catchers talking about how you often end up wasting at bats later in the games because your body is so worn down.

Mauer should be in really good shape playing first base only. He'll be a better late-game player and he'll play 40 more games without extra detriment to his body.

Nobody questioned John Olerud playing 1B. Mauer would be no different. He may be able to attempt swinging for the fences a bit more often too.

I just don't see how it would be a bad move.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20..._kc&c_id=kc

Royals have a future ace in their rotation it seems...let's hope not.

With Chen as their #5, they're still one starter short, with the exception of when he faces us.

Still playing the "fear the royals" card, huh

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Royals using Ventura 3rd in the rotation means the Sox will probably miss him the first weekend.

Quintana vs Guthrie for the Royals home opener

Johnson vs Chen

Sale vs Shields (seen that before)

So Erik Johnson gets opening day in KC, then Danks and Sale.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
So, pitching (outside of Sale) is going to be a problem for your team this year?

We don't know. Quintana still looks to me like a solid #2 starter, a #3 at worst. Danks is a question mark - can he be back to his old self 2 years after shoulder surgery? If he can be, he was a #1/#2 starter for several years. Erik Johnson is a rookie. He absolutely has the potential of a #2 starter, but he's a rookie, so expect struggles. Paulino has been really good when he's pitched but he's been constantly injured and hasn't pitched in the bigs since like 2012. Lots of potential and under Sox control through 2015, but again risky. Beyond that, Rienzo showed promise last year but needs more seasoning with control and a couple other guys (Bassitt, Snodgress) look to me like guys who are better than any of the 6th starters we threw out last year, but also need more seasoning.

If guys are healthy and strong that 12345 could already be one of the best in the bigs but that requires everything to go right. You wouldn't run this rotation out there if you were detroit, you'd spend the money and fill probably 2 of those slots with veterans, but this is a "rebuilding" staff for this year.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
The Twins lead the AL in runs scored

and runs allowed.

The pitching part was expected, even with the new additions.

Nolasco should be a decent pitcher, but he's not going to anchor the rotation. And the jury's far from out on Hughes, he's still quite young, but don't get your hopes up too much, even with Rick Anderson still around.

Collabello has been one of the pleasant surprises of the early season (of course, if the White Sox had a good RFer defensively, most of his RBI's would be gone).

Gibson really needs to develop into a 1/2 type of guy for the Twins to build any type of forward momentum.

Same with Hicks in the outfield being an impact bat and not just showing promise/glimpses.

The White Sox and Twins both look to have terrible bullpens, but at least you guys have an experienced guy at the back end in Perkins. Matt Lindstrom is unlikely to be closing one month from now...maybe even one week from now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
The pitching part was expected, even with the new additions.

Nolasco should be a decent pitcher, but he's not going to anchor the rotation. And the jury's far from out on Hughes, he's still quite young, but don't get your hopes up too much, even with Rick Anderson still around.

Collabello has been one of the pleasant surprises of the early season (of course, if the White Sox had a good RFer defensively, most of his RBI's would be gone).

Gibson really needs to develop into a 1/2 type of guy for the Twins to build any type of forward momentum.

Same with Hicks in the outfield being an impact bat and not just showing promise/glimpses.

The White Sox and Twins both look to have terrible bullpens, but at least you guys have an experienced guy at the back end in Perkins. Matt Lindstrom is unlikely to be closing one month from now...maybe even one week from now.

I would say the starters should be better than last year. Of course better is still awful compared to other teams. Im not worried about the bullpen yet, but its not been good.

The start in Cleveland is what the Twins hope for Gibson. After a shaky second, he went on a run where everything was weak contact because of that heavy sinker. He just used up too many pitches early in the game.

Colabello is not going to threaten Hack Wilson's RBI record, but its nice to have a big bat knocking in runs. Kubel has shown signs of life by hitting the ball hard when he makes contact.

Im not expecting the Twins to score 6,7,8 runs a game like they have. but it sure is nice to watch after the futility of last year.