2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
He's obviously not out of options yes? I would think that would be the case by now.

If you get called up to the big leagues and stay with the MLB team, you do not use an option. Pretty sure this is only his second option.

If you get called up to the big leagues and stay with the MLB team, you do not use an option. Pretty sure this is only his second option.

You are out of options if either one of the following applies:

1) You have been assigned to the minors in three previous seasons while on the 40-man roster

2) You have at least 5.0 years of MLB service time

I don't know where to find exactly when a player got added to the 40, but it was most likely in 2011, and if they didn't add him until they called him up to KC, this might only be his first option year, but it's at most his second.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
i really thought Moustakas had started to figure things out last year. What a nightmare for KC
He's been pretty bad each year of his MLB career. I think he's solidly in "complete bust" territory.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Yordano Ventura left his start tonight with "lateral elbow discomfort", MRI scheduled for tomorrow. A serious injury to him would be a huge blow to the Royals.

twitter.com/JeffPassan/sta… RT @JeremyJagoda: @you said lateral discomfort though. That would be his LCL or common extensor tendon or a muscle.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Yordano Ventura left his start tonight with "lateral elbow discomfort", MRI scheduled for tomorrow. A serious injury to him would be a huge blow to the Royals.

All these good young arms hurt. I hate to see it as a baseball fan. I hope Sale holds together.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/26/50480...ves-royals.html

Story on Ventura's start.

The official diagnosis from the club was “lateral elbow discomfort,” on the outer side of his right arm. He will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. The pain did not manifest on the medial side of his elbow, which includes the ulnar collateral ligament, the one involved in Tommy John surgery. The team listed Ventura as “day-to-day,” a categorization fans can only hope is more than a euphemism.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/26/50480...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:55 AM)
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/26/50480...ves-royals.html

Story on Ventura's start.

The official diagnosis from the club was “lateral elbow discomfort,” on the outer side of his right arm. He will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. The pain did not manifest on the medial side of his elbow, which includes the ulnar collateral ligament, the one involved in Tommy John surgery. The team listed Ventura as “day-to-day,” a categorization fans can only hope is more than a euphemism.

I don't know how any team can give a pitcher a long term deal anymore. It's just throwing money down the toilet with this rash of injuries. Good luck to Ventura. Hope he's OK.

The radar gun at Kauffman Stadium befuddled Royals manager Ned Yost. In the third inning of a 9-2 loss to the Houston Astros, the scoreboard flashed velocity readings in the lower 90s, far too low for 22-year-old starter Yordano Ventura.

Inside the dugout, Yost turned to pitching coach Dave Eiland.

“What are those?” Yost said. “Are those change-ups? Two-seamers?”

The answer was far more harrowing. Ventura could not generate his trademark life on his fastball. His right elbow felt “uncomfortable, not natural, (with) a little bit of pain,” he said afterward, with enough discomfort for him to leave the game.

The team diagnosed discomfort on the lateral, or outer, side of his elbow. The inside part of the joint houses the ulnar collateral ligament, the one involved in Tommy John surgery. The team’s training staff assured Yost there was no damage to that precious piece of fibrous tissue.

“I’m not concerned it’s a ligament injury,” Yost said.

Ventura will still undergo an MRI on Tuesday afternoon. The fear coursed through his teammates. Like the rest of the industry, they’ve witnessed a rash of arm injuries this season, an epidemic that has claimed reliever Luke Hochevar and three dozen others.

“It isn’t a relief until we hear exactly what’s going on,” first baseman Eric Hosmer said.

Like Yost, Hosmer noticed the light radar gun readings in the third inning. His confusion turned to horror as he saw Ventura depart. The sight caused him to swear, a sensible reaction given Ventura’s importance to this club.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 41m

Ned Yost just said on Royals TV broadcast trainers said Yordano Ventura had "valgus stress overload." That does not bode well for future.

This does not make sense with symptoms on the lateral side of the elbow. It would be varus stress overload unless the symptoms moved to the medial side of the elbow.

The Royals just got swept by Houston and fans are again calling for Ned's proverbial head. If somehow Toronto was to take all 4 vs. KC I wonder if they'd finally fire Ned. It'd be pretty embarrassing for them to fire another hitting coach. Last year, the return of George Brett to the dugout sparked KC sort of. This year, what move will the Royals make to appease the fanbase? I wonder if Ned will get the axe.

KC cannot hit and Butler has been kind of ornery, complaining about Ned not letting him play in an NL park a couple weeks ago when he was red-hot and getting in the face of the first base coach last week.

Edited by greg775

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/31/50592...to-develop.html

Lays out a pretty strong case for Dayton Moore getting canned sooner rather than later.

The biggest problem, obviously, is the lack of development of any hitters other than Alex Gordon (and they almost gave up on him) and Salvador Perez, who's having a hard time remaining healthy.

Meanwhile, fired hitting coach Kevin Seitzer (2012) seems to be delivering promised results in Toronto.

Edited by caulfield12