2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
A lot of people gave up on him way too quickly when that injury struck...he's one of the exceptions to age....like an Edgar Martinez.

Saw today Detroit is going to make him a qualifying offer to stay will be in 15 mil range.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Saw today Detroit is going to make him a qualifying offer to stay will be in 15 mil range.

I think they won't insult him too much, but it will probably be more in the $10-12.5 million range. If Illitch wants to make him feel loved and needed, sure, with the way they're throwing money around in DET, anything's possible.

On the open market, at his age, and with DET not involved, he would be lucky to get in the high teens for a two or three year contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
I think they won't insult him too much, but it will probably be more in the $10-12.5 million range. If Illitch wants to make him feel loved and needed, sure, with the way they're throwing money around in DET, anything's possible.

On the open market, at his age, and with DET not involved, he would be lucky to get in the high teens for a two or three year contract.

The key word in the original post is "Qualifying" offer. That means if he turned it down a team would have to give up a draft pick to sign him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
The key word in the original post is "Qualifying" offer. That means if he turned it down a team would have to give up a draft pick to sign him.

Knowing Illitch/Dombrowski, he will offer him a 2-3 year contract instead of going one year at a time.

Even though the qualifying offer would be a much better move at this point in his career, where the bat can go in a matter of weeks/months (see Konerko). And I don't think even Martinez is worth $14-15 million per season as a DH to the Tigers, although they will stupidly offer 3/$30 and feel they're "getting a bargain," especially with Kinsler not insured to be a part of the roster after next season.

Then again, seemingly, they can throw money at just about ANY problem. Well, maybe not enough to afford Fister, Scherzer and a top flite bullpen all at the same time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
You might want to look at Dozier's numbers a little closer. Dozier is pretty good with the glove.

Plouffe was the one who seemed to make more errors than Dozier, although it's hard to compare a "pure" SS in error totals, like a Florimon, to a 2B/3B type.

For me, I think part of the issue with the Twins is comparing them to the model of a decade ago.....with Mientkiewicz, Rivas, Guzman and Koskie at 3rd. That might be one of the best defensive infields of all-time.

So while the Twins might be closer to "solid/average," it feels disappointing because we're so used to them catching everything and making every right play in terms of fundamentals, never letting up against the opponent and waiting for them to make a mistake. 90% of the time, the White Sox would beat themselves. That said, the 2002-2004 and 2006 Twins teams really were extremely talented and a lot of fun to watch, even as a hated rival/opponent. I kind of miss those days, because, as a fan, I could always argue to myself that "they lucked out again" when Hocking or LeCroy or Blanco or Lew Ford beat us inexplicably. With Scherzer/Verlander/Cabrera, etc., they're just better.

These recent Twins' teams don't have the lockdown bullpens, the overall athleticism in the OF (that will change with Buxton and if Hicks ever figures it out at the major league level) and, of course, the pitching combination of Radke/Santana/Liriano.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 16, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
Brian Dozier scored two more runs tonight, upping his season total to 38

The last person to score 140+ runs in a season was Alex Rodriguez (143) in 2007

The last person to score 150+ runs in a season was Jeff Bagwell (152) in 2000

I keep waiting for him to fall off, continues to be very good so far.

yeah, the batting average is low (.245 coming into the game) but he walks a lot (Top 5 in the AL) and steals enough (again, Top 5 in the AL) and now has 10 HRs. The Twins have a 2B prospect in Eddie Rosario (currently serving a suspension) that was going to push Dozier aside but I think those plans have changed.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
If Rick Porcello has actually turned into an above average starter, the Tigers might win 100 games this season.

I still can't believe the Rangers took the fat vegetarian off their hands. He sucks now too

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
Seems they had some clubhouse leadership issues/conflicts in Texas with Kinsler.

Really dumb move by Daniels, though. He doesn't make them often. And Nelson Cruz has been really solid for the Orioles.

Rios has been solid for them in Cruz's place, similar money, and they get a draft pick for Cruz leaving. That hasn't been their problem.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
Seems they had some clubhouse leadership issues/conflicts in Texas with Kinsler.

Really dumb move by Daniels, though. He doesn't make them often. And Nelson Cruz has been really solid for the Orioles.

According to Hamilton and Kinsler, it seems that they believe the issue lies with the GM Daniels.