Jaso an offseason target

macsandz

FYI, if you're concerned about the catching situation so is Rick. Was told Jaso is high on the wish list due to his high OBP contact bat from the left side.

Had good talks recently with Beane but not sure it can move past prelim talks as his medicals are TBD due to concussion.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
FYI, if you're concerned about the catching situation so is Rick. Was told Jaso is high on the wish list due to his high OBP contact bat from the left side.

Had good talks recently with Beane but not sure it can move past prelim talks as his medicals are TBD due to concussion.

Woo!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
This is a definite "we're making other moves and plan on contending in 2014" move to me.

Also, can we just make a Catch-er All thread? We've got separate ones on McCann, Wieters, Castro, Salty, Jaso and that's not including Rosario and a few others.

No. That sucked. I like it the way it is now. Like Wieters for example. I can just go straight to that thread (and I have been) and know it's going to be all about him. With catch all I'd have to gloss/skip over countless posts that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for (Wieters in this case).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)
No. That sucked. I like it the way it is now. Like Wieters for example. I can just go straight to that thread (and I have been) and know it's going to be all about him. With catch all I'd have to gloss/skip over countless posts that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for (Wieters in this case).

Part of me just really wanted to make that pun.

But good point.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)

Any idea what Beane would be asking for Jaso? If he doesn't cost too much to acquire, I'd be happy with him behind the plate for the Sox.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
I been harping about trying to get Jaso all offseason.

Oakland fans said they'd trade him for organizational pitching depth...Fans obviously aren't the ones making the deals but I think they might be able to get it done for something like Snodgress/Jaye and maybe a lower level guy or 2.

Would you trade somebody like Hector for Jaso?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:53 PM)
Would you trade somebody like Hector for Jaso?

Not straight up. Maybe a package of something like Jaso, Doolittle(LH reliever), and a hitting prospect Steverson likes.

I loves me some Jaso, but he's a platoon player, I'd hate trading Hector for a platoon player.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
Not straight up. Maybe a package of something like Jaso, Doolittle(LH reliever), and a hitting prospect Steverson likes.

I loves me some Jaso, but he's a platoon player, I'd hate trading Hector for a platoon player.

Catcher is the one place where you can really deal with a lefty platoon player -- because they need to rest so much anyway, it works out.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
Isn't he really bad defensively?

Career CS% of 18%.

I like Jaso, but yeah, Rienzo is the most I'd give up. That he's going into his age 30 season and is a free agent next year, I probably wouldn't even do that. Bassitt seems more reasonable.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 01:06 AM)

Pretty much all catchers are basically platoon players. Or should be. This is the important half of the platoon. Which we lack.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
No way

Jaso's very much a one dimensional player, but he's the kind of one dimensional player this team needs and he plays a position that we lack.

Maybe Hector for Jaso straight up is overpaying, but I think a deal around Hector for Jaso + other parts would work.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
Catcher is the one place where you can really deal with a lefty platoon player -- because they need to rest so much anyway, it works out.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 01:41 AM)
Pretty much all catchers are basically platoon players. Or should be. This is the important half of the platoon. Which we lack.

True enough, still wouldn't trade them Santiago straight up for him though. Deals centered around he and Doolittle or he and Max Muncy is more like it though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
We cannot even entertain Jaso-Santiago.

I think something like Flowers, Carlos Sanchez and a low level arm would work.

Oakland has no real reason to trade Jaso (he's in a good platoon with Norris) unless they think Vogt is a respectable replacement.

I don't think they're going to take our garbage and give us back a guy who can get on base at a .370 clip.

I think Jaso would be under team control for two seasons, but yeah, you can't trade Santiago for a 30 year old catcher. If you can get him for say a B prospect, then I'd totally be on board. His bat would be a big step in the right direction and a huge upgrade over what we got out of the catcher's position. I think if you make this type of trade, you need to try to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal so he's more than just a stop-gap and can buy the organization a decent amount of time to develop a good, young catcher.