Jaso an offseason target

macsandz

If we could get Jaso for Rienzo at the most, it would be worth doing. A Jaso/Flowers or Jaso/Phegley or heck even a Jaso/Hannigan (if we could bring him aboard) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. And I don't understand why people knock his defense. Flowers and Phegley are terrible behind the plate

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
And I don't understand why people knock his defense. Flowers and Phegley are terrible behind the plate

Because it's not good. That our 2 guys weren't good doesn't make his D good. We need an upgrade defensively. Let's develop our pitching depth...don't trade it for replaceable players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
What would be wrong with signing AJ for 4 million, one year? He'd be vital in helping our pitching staff.

Bring him in as a stopgap.

$4 million for one year as a stopgap...that's what would be wrong. Signing AJ doesn't do anything for 2015 and beyond, which is where the Sox need to be concentrating. If they sign AJ for $4 million or so, we're going to be having this same conversation next offseason. Don't get me wrong, I like AJ, but I just don't see a scenario where he'll be signed by the Sox, especially for $4 million or so.

What would be wrong with signing AJ for 4 million, one year? He'd be vital in helping our pitching staff.

Maybe if they were contending, but on a rebuilding team I imagine his locker room presence is more negative anything.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 06:33 AM)
Maybe if they were contending, but on a rebuilding team I imagine his locker room presence is more negative anything.

If they were contending, or if there was some stud catcher in the minors who appeared to need just another year or two to be ready... then yeah, AJ makes sense. He makes nearly zero sense for this team, though I suppose it is worth considering if he were willing to sign for super-cheap (like $2M or something).

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
That Carlos Ruiz contract just made the catcher market look kinda scary. Trading for a catcher seems like a much better idea now, Salty has to be looking for 4 years and at least $40M now right? No thanks

We have been talking about Saltalamacchia signing for 4/$40 for about a month now. Ruiz's contract does nothing to change that. He's a good player and it's going to cost a lot to sign him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
how much does it suck that the moronic spending Phillies are setting the market

Y U NO SAY GIANTS AFTER HUNTER PENCE SIGNING?

1. AJ is not signing for that.

2. What is the point of a veteran stopgap on a rebuilding team? If he was the missing piece it would make all the sense in the world, but with multiple areas to improve the short term value is minimal and it is detrimental in the long term.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 06:10 AM)
$4 million for one year as a stopgap...that's what would be wrong. Signing AJ doesn't do anything for 2015 and beyond, which is where the Sox need to be concentrating. If they sign AJ for $4 million or so, we're going to be having this same conversation next offseason. Don't get me wrong, I like AJ, but I just don't see a scenario where he'll be signed by the Sox, especially for $4 million or so.

It puts off the catching disaster for another year, and allows the Sox to work for another year to find a permanent solution back there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
It puts off the catching disaster for another year, and allows the Sox to work for another year to find a permanent solution back there.

I would still rather go with a full season of Phegley. He has a history of being a slow starter at each level and would rather give him a full year the way that Flowers was before moving on from him altogether. He at least presents the opportunity to be a long term solution, and if not you can deal for a long term solution as you continue to develop assets.

If AJ gets up from 65-75 wins next season, is he worth it. If we are going to be drafting in the top 10, it might as well be as high as possible and be able to have as much bonus money as possible instead of limiting yourself by throwing out short term solutions with no long term implications in mind. If Phegley can show he handle the load next season, you have a long term solution and more money to spend to bring in additional talent.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
I would still rather go with a full season of Phegley. He has a history of being a slow starter at each level and would rather give him a full year the way that Flowers was before moving on from him altogether. He at least presents the opportunity to be a long term solution, and if not you can deal for a long term solution as you continue to develop assets.

If AJ gets up from 65-75 wins next season, is he worth it. If we are going to be drafting in the top 10, it might as well be as high as possible and be able to have as much bonus money as possible instead of limiting yourself by throwing out short term solutions with no long term implications in mind. If Phegley can show he handle the load next season, you have a long term solution and more money to spend to bring in additional talent.

I still come down to "If Phegley has a 1% chance of being a long term solution for the Sox at catcher...that is still better than the chances of AJ Pierzynski being a long term solution at catcher".

I understand the Sox signing a catcher, or even trading for one, but it would have to be a guy who would fit well with about 200 PA's if they're not shooting for a high-valued one. It makes zero sense to sign a guy who we know won't be a solution in a year or two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
I still come down to "If Phegley has a 1% chance of being a long term solution for the Sox at catcher...that is still better than the chances of AJ Pierzynski being a long term solution at catcher".

I understand the Sox signing a catcher, or even trading for one, but it would have to be a guy who would fit well with about 200 PA's if they're not shooting for a high-valued one. It makes zero sense to sign a guy who we know won't be a solution in a year or two.

Agreed

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)

I was under the impression that most people had given up on Phegley and Flowers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I was under the impression that most people had given up on Phegley and Flowers.

We'll know if the Sox have given up on Flowers if and when he's offered arbitration. They made some positive sounds around him when it was learned he had suffered a shoulder injury the whole year.

I'm not sure about Phegley. At the very least they seemed to like him in the minors and he actually performed in the minors last year. He actually earned a shot, and he's only had about 3 months of actual big league experience. I understand if you're dumping him in favor of McCann or Salty, but I'd vastly rather go with him than AJ. Worst case scenario is he continues not hitting at the back of your order and you continue looking for a catcher. That's bad if you're looking to compete right now but that is totally what we should be doing with the pieces we have - play them until a better, long-term option presents itself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)

A lot of people have given up on Phegley which I find really hard to comprehend. He didn't set the world on fire in his trial with the Sox but he's the closest thing the Sox have to a long term solution which seems to be the key words I keep hearing. He didn't take walks, he flailed away at a lot of bad pitches but he still struck out 15% less than Flowers ,is 2 years younger, and had a very good year in the minors.

I think any lefthanded or switch hitting catcher at this point makes sense for the Sox. Sure we'd like him to be a possible long term solution or have some pop , OBP skills or be a defensive whiz but every catcher out there seems to have issues. You can still build a competitive team without having any sort of permanent solution or a platoon at some positions.

If or when the Sox get a LH hitting catcher there won't be much point in whining about it because the pickings are slim. There's much more talent at other positions to spend money on . When Matt Weiters wants a Mauer type contract it just tells you how desperate teams are for catching.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Travis D'Arnaud was one of the top rated prospects in the minors coming into the year. Given, Phegley was repeating AAA (I think for the 3rd time), but compare their numbers there and then at the majors. I think there's a bigger adjustment for catchers than people realize.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Travis D'Arnaud was one of the top rated prospects in the minors coming into the year. Given, Phegley was repeating AAA (I think for the 3rd time), but compare their numbers there and then at the majors. I think there's a bigger adjustment for catchers than people realize.

It was his 3rd year in Charlotte but he only received 90 PA's there in 2011 and that was as a 23 year old who missed ~1/2 of the previous season, so he was definitely pushed up to AAA pretty rapidly. They gave him time in AAA but he might well have still benefited from finishing the season there if there wasn't an opening at the big league level.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
A lot of people have given up on Phegley which I find really hard to comprehend. He didn't set the world on fire in his trial with the Sox but he's the closest thing the Sox have to a long term solution which seems to be the key words I keep hearing. He didn't take walks, he flailed away at a lot of bad pitches but he still struck out 15% less than Flowers ,is 2 years younger, and had a very good year in the minors.

I think any lefthanded or switch hitting catcher at this point makes sense for the Sox. Sure we'd like him to be a possible long term solution or have some pop , OBP skills or be a defensive whiz but every catcher out there seems to have issues. You can still build a competitive team without having any sort of permanent solution or a platoon at some positions.

If or when the Sox get a LH hitting catcher there won't be much point in whing about it because the pickings are slim. There's much more talent at other positions to spend money on . When Matt Weiters wants a Mauer type contract it just tells you how desperate teams are for catching.

While I don't think he will be anything special, I am semi-surprised so many people are jumping off the Phegley ship so soon as well

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

Not only that but for a guy like Phegley who never had 400 AB's in any minor league season because of his health issues, he was way behind the curve as far as hitting and catching high quality pitches. When looking at his body of work I think he has advanced fairly quickly given his health problems.