Fielder to Texas for Kinsler

flavum

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Dombrowski has done everything right for this team.

Except for leaving them short in the bullpen, fielding-wise and lacking speed (with the exception of Austin Jackson).

They also have to find a full-time LFer and replacement for Victor Martinez at DH.

Presumably, Castellanos will play 3B now, instead of LF. That's one issue resolved. Still think they should upgrade Avila at catcher.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:16 PM)
Except for leaving them short in the bullpen, fielding-wise and lacking speed (with the exception of Austin Jackson).

They also have to find a full-time LFer and replacement for Victor Martinez at DH.

Presumably, Castellanos will play 3B now, instead of LF. That's one issue resolved. Still think they should upgrade Avila at catcher.

Victor Martinez isn't a free agent

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
Prince Fielder is 29 years old. If he were a free agent this year, he may demand as much as Robinson Cano. Getting him for 7/138 is a steal. -- Jeff Passan

That may be the dumbest thing I've read today

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)
That may be the dumbest thing I've read today

I mean, he is right in the sense that Fielder would probably get at least $138M on the open market today, but he is ignoring the fact that Cano's deal is going to be just as awful in a few years. Cano won't even be close to being worth $27-28M in 3 or 4 years.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
I mean, he is right in the sense that Fielder would probably get at least $138M on the open market today, but he is ignoring the fact that Cano's deal is going to be just as awful in a few years. Cano won't even be close to being worth $27-28M in 3 or 4 years.

He's also forgetting to mention they had to trade Kinsler....

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
Seems like an absolute steal for the Tigers, even if they have to eat $30-40M. Kinsler is a good bat at a position where good bats are very hard to find. Fielder is getting older and slower and plays a position where bats are more plentiful.

Kinsler will be an albatross for the Tigers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Kinsler will be an albatross for the Tigers.

Even though Fielders numbers have declined the last 2 years , Cabrera still won 2 MVP's with Fielder behind him and got less intentional walks. Does Cabrera move to 1st ? Does Kinsler play 1st, Cabrera 3rd and the Tigers go after Robinson Cano ? Or is it money freed up to try and resign Scherzer and/or extend Verlander ?

Tigers did very well to get out from under that contract and I have a suspicion they have another interesting move coming.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Even though Fielders numbers have declined the last 2 years , Cabrera still won 2 MVP's with Fielder behind him and got less intentional walks. Does Cabrera move to 1st ? Does Kinsler play 1st, Cabrera 3rd and the Tigers go after Robinson Cano ? Or is it money freed up to try and resign Scherzer and/or extend Verlander ?

Tigers did very well to get out from under that contract and I have a suspicion they have another interesting move coming.

Clearly this moves Cabrera back to 1b which absolutely needs to happen t keep him healthy.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)
Now that Texas has cleared it's middle infield glut, Ramirez to Cardinals might be more of a possibility.

Since I have been a proponent of Ramirez to the Cardinals since July, I hope you are right. I think the Cardinals options on the trade market are the White Sox and the Angels (maybe San Diego or Cleveland but doubtful), Drew or Peralta in FA, or the Cuban defector with the incredibly long last name. Since Hahn and Mozeliak spoke about Ramirez this summer, it shouldn't take long to strike a deal, right?

Edited by mike65

It makes some sense for both parties. The Tigers have like 13 first basemen on their roster, so now you get to play Miggy there. You get a 2B, which surely they were looking for.

The Tigers have Profar waiting, so you can say they actually improved their 2B position in this deal, especially from a cost standpoint. They haven't had anything exciting in the 1B/DH spot since Tex left so now they have that without an insane amount of extra cost.

I think the Tigers lose here, though. If you look at FG, you could quite easily argue that Kinsler is no longer any better than Infante. This precludes them from keeping Peralta and they aren't going to add elsewhere to replace Fielder. It may, I guess, make it easier to re-sign Cabrera?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
Since I have been a proponent of Ramirez to the Cardinals since July, I hope you are right. I think the Cardinals options on the trade market are the White Sox and the Angels (maybe San Diego or Cleveland but doubtful), Drew or Peralta in FA, or the Cuban defector with the incredibly long last name. Since Hahn and Mozeliak spoke about Ramirez this summer, it shouldn't take long to strike a deal, right?

Alexei might be the 1st Sox player traded since he's over 30 , still has value but also has a $10M contract for the next 2 years. I think the Cards would get good value for those 2 years but the Sox might have a hard time finding a replacement unless the Cards offer us a SS back . However Hahn is looking for near ML ready players , guys who might be able to step right into the starting lineup and Jim Bowden said this "Mozeliak made it clear to us this morning that he'd like to trade a young "starting pitcher": for a "young controllable shortstop" . They might not be a match . Alexei isnt young but he is controllable for 2 yrs plus an option year so it's not like he would cripple the Cards with a bad contract. The Sox strength is young starters but we're likely to move move one of them . It's like a longshot they end up trade partners because both GM's are stubborn about getting guys they want. But you have all those SS's in your sytem and having Alexei for 2 or 3 years would certainly give them a chance to develop .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Alexei might be the 1st Sox player traded since he's over 30 , still has value but also has a $10M contract for the next 2 years. I think the Cards would get good value for those 2 years but the Sox might have a hard time finding a replacement unless the Cards offer us a SS back . However Hahn is looking for near ML ready players , guys who might be able to step right into the starting lineup and Jim Bowden said this "Mozeliak made it clear to us this morning that he'd like to trade a young "starting pitcher": for a "young controllable shortstop" . They might not be a match . Alexei isnt young but he is controllable for 2 yrs plus an option year so it's not like he would cripple the Cards with a bad contract. The Sox strength is young starters but we're likely to move move one of them . It's like a longshot they end up trade partners because both GM's are stubborn about getting guys they want. But you have all those SS's in your sytem and having Alexei for 2 or 3 years would certainly give them a chance to develop .

I think in this runs environment, the price of middle of the field, young impact players is eclipsing young pitching by a fairly reasonable margin. Not sure how many GM's feel this way, but I certainly would. If I had a potential impact catcher, SS, or cf, it would take a very talented young pitcher to bring him back.