Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with playing Beckham at SS 5-10 times a year? Beckham and Keppinger up the middle is potentially really ugly defensively but oh well, it's just just a few games a year.

Or for that matter make Leury the 4th OFer/Super Utility guy.

A PK-Kepp-Leury-Catcher or PK-Leury-DAnks-Catcher bench both work IMO.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Dunn in outfield has 1107 career games from what I'm looking at, so no need to call my idea the dumbest idea on the face of the earth. It's an option. The White Sox have used him there a couple games each year he's been here..obviously it hasnt been their need for him.

But since we're talking about flexibility, I'm stating what we have at our disposal. Can be used as a bluff if need be - but again, your entire point even assumes there are passable Dunn deals waiting for us right now........

so before we even go into any of what you're arguing lets (1) see that there's even a deal to be had for Dunn (2) see what the 25-man even ...is.

Dunn in LF would be fine if he hit like he was expected to when he signed.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Today, the White Sox chose Konerko over Dunn which should make Dunn's contract inconsequential. That's the real price of bringing Konerko back. As long as they are willing to pay that, I'm ok with it.

I don't believe they chose Konerko over Dunn one iota.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
If we trade Dunn we create a hole. We don't have a LH bat in the middle of the order. Who are you going to put there Conor Gillaspie?

I am so f***ing tired of Jerry Reinsdorf and his loyalty belt. Dunn had some very good streaks last year and now he has someone protecting him again unlike last year. Why mess that up? Trading Dunn in July after a great first half is a lot better a move than trading him in Dec/Jan.

This is to insure that he has a great first half. Dunn is brutal against lefties. Konerko is brutal against righties. Ideally, neither ever really has to face a same side arm again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
If we trade Dunn we create a hole. We don't have a LH bat in the middle of the order. Who are you going to put there Conor Gillaspie?

I am so f***ing tired of Jerry Reinsdorf and his loyalty belt. Dunn had some very good streaks last year and now he has someone protecting him again unlike last year. Why mess that up? Trading Dunn in July after a great first half is a lot better a move than trading him in Dec/Jan.

The White Sox are not playing for 2014 the way the lineup sets up is the least of our worries. As far as Dunn goes, his value was seen this trade deadline and it isn't much.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
Hayes basically live-tweeting the conference call with Konerko.

https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 3m

Konerko: I've played with some guys who were great at this (role). Mark Kotsay. Jim Thome.

Konerko: "I’m hoping the pros in the end outweigh the cons."

Konerko: This is where it is for me. I'm a #WhiteSox and it killed me to see what went on last year.

Konerko: I didn't want to hamstring Robin with the roster. ... Says he knows there are going to be questions about roster.

Paul Konerko said he's been anticipating this type of role and is ahead of everyone in preparing for transition.

Paul Konerko: "I knew last year if I was going to play it was going to be something like this."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
The White Sox are not playing for 2014 the way the lineup sets up is the least of our worries. As far as Dunn goes, his value was seen this trade deadline and it isn't much.

No doubt. But a 20M commitment is a lot different than a 5M commitment. The last 5 Mil of his deal is saveable, and still is if we're serious about a platoon, and this isn't pre-dump posturing.

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 2m

Konerko on new part-time role: "It'll be challenging but I'll give it hell"

PK: "The easiest thing would have been to retire. But the way last year went..."

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m

PK: "I’m a good employee to have. I have no future. I have no agenda. For me it’s I hope I do well when I’m in there."

Does Konerko expect a farewell tour around the league: "I sure hope not." That is definitely not Konerko's style

Konerko: "Truthfully, I probably wouldn’t be coming back to any situation if I knew I was slated to play a lot." Started thinking about...

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 6m

Konerko said he's not sure he could have "hacked that" (physically) had #WhiteSox asked him to play 150 games in 2014.

Paul Konerko talked to a couple of other teams and they discussed similar roles w/ him. Said it boosted confidence to stay w/ #WhiteSox.

It's a 24 man roster, with occasional walk-on appearances by PK.

This is the team right now (roughly):

De Aza, Ramirez, Garcia, Dunn, Abreu, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Flowers, Beckham

Garcia, Keppinger, Phegley, Konerko

Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Danks, Johnson

Leesman, Veal, Webb, Petricka, Jones, Lindstrom, Reed

90 losses at least. Hope Konerko enjoys it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
It's a 24 man roster, with occasional walk-on appearances by PK.

This is the team right now (roughly):

De Aza, Ramirez, Garcia, Dunn, Abreu, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Flowers, Beckham

Garcia, Keppinger, Phegley, Konerko

Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Danks, Johnson

Leesman, Veal, Webb, Petricka, Jones, Lindstrom, Reed

90 losses at least. Hope Konerko enjoys it.

Yep. I hope Hahn doesn't even bother going to the Winter Meetings. His work is obviously done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
Yep. I hope Hahn doesn't even bother going to the Winter Meetings. His work is obviously done.

Oh I know. It's just Konerko saying he doesn't want to go out on a 99-loss team. There's not much Hahn can do to avoid a losing season next year. And it will more than likely be an upper 80's-90+ loss team no matter what.

Konerko wants to come back so he can acknowledge the last lap of his career while it's going on. One of the things he said at the end of the season was that he regretted not doing that as the 2013 season was going on. Now he can.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 4m

Paul Konerko told us that he is going to finish his career with the White Sox…not going to be a candidate to be traded at the deadline #SXM

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 12m

Paul Konerko told us that this will definitely be it for him. 6 more months of baseball then retirement….#WhiteSox #SXM

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Sox weren't likely to do much before PK decided anyway, so the idea that the team is complete as-is has no foundation in reality. I suppose it is possible they make no more moves - but I'd say that is highly unlikely.

With all of the activity this week, I'm surprised the Sox didn't get something done too.

Now I'm looking at De Aza, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Ramirez, Beckham...that's a whole lot of mediocre that nobody wants apparently.

Sure, the Sox will get another catcher like Lobaton, but that might be it.