middlebrooks

mataipaepae

there is talk of boston resigning drew and moving boegarts to 3B. it is said this would make will middlebrooks available for trade.

what do you think about him in chicago? and do we have enough to get him?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/cafa...yo-morales.html

If the Red Sox re-sign Stephen Drew, that would bump Xander Bogaerts to third base and make Will Middlebrooks a trade candidate. The Marlins, who are looking for a third baseman, would likely be interested.

Edited by mataipaepae

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:21 AM)
there is talk of boston resigning drew and moving boegarts to 3B. it is said this would make will middlebrooks available for trade.

what do you think about him in chicago? and do we have enough to get him?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/cafa...yo-morales.html

If the Red Sox re-sign Stephen Drew, that would bump Xander Bogaerts to third base and make Will Middlebrooks a trade candidate. The Marlins, who are looking for a third baseman, would likely be interested.

Well, with Napoli at 1B, Ortiz DH...there's no other place to move him.

I think they would be crazy to resign Drew, but they might feel it's better to have Bogaerts' bat at 3B.

The natural trade to make would be for Alexei Ramirez (not keeping Drew), with Middlebrooks the new White Sox 3B.

That would open up SS to a competition between Carlos Sanchez, Leury Garcia and Marcus Semien.

Meh. Middlebrooks is an okay player, but nothing worth trading for. I'd honestly rather just have Gillaspie or Semien for a full year at 3B than give up anything of value for Middlebrooks. He is an average defender so far who hits for above average power, strikes out way more than he walks, and would hit in the .260-.275 range. He is projected for a 2.3-2.8 WAR season which is solid, but also calling for a VAST improvement over last year. That seems like an aggressive valuation.

God Middlebrooks is such a f***ing enigma (to me.. not as a player). I want to like him as a player, I really do, and in fact, I'm going to try and like him now to say "sure go for it" but I don't like him very much... but I will try to "somewhat" defend getting him.. :lol:

At times I believe he is another product of an overrated Boston farm system. He's a better version of J.P. Arencibia (and that is not a good thing, hmmm.. ok that might be alittle too harsh.. maybe a Mark Trumbo comparable) he strikes out too much for a team that has K issues, not a guy who gets on base often, and his first couple of injuries were to his ribs and back (it was minor, but it is never good with 3B and who knows.. could prolong the rest of his career for all we know ala Sweeney, or.. could be nothing). Pretty much what is said here, everyone either knows from seeing him play or can see his numbers even in the minors so I kept the "cons" so to speak brief.

Now with all that said the "pros".... As bad as he was this past season (and I mean he was bad) still had a better OPS+ then Gallaspie. (88 to 86) His power is very real, and for a 3B, that is very valuable. IMO, his negative rating from last season defensively was just an off year for him as historically (I mean as a prospect and even his 2012 debut) he's always been rated solid (not a gold glover by any means, even though he does have the athleticism and instincts to become one) and has a great arm as well for the hot corner. When he came back from his demotion, he hit .276/.329/.476 and even improved his K and BB% rate (still bad.. 24 to 7% but damn did he figure something out? is he improving with experience? 7% walk rate, but with his power?...) He has decreased his K rate the last three years in the minors as well. He is a pretty smart base runner (not good speed, but has good base running instincts also not prone to dumb base running) In just over a year of play, in 615 ABs he's put up a .254/.294/.462/.756 line (32 HRs 103 RBIs, 75 R). Here is the list of 3Bs who have achieved a .250+ average, 25+ HR, 90+ RBI, and 70+ runs the last 3 years: Miguel Cabrera (yes I'll still count Miggy even though he's only been there two years), Evan Longoria, Adrian Beltre, Chase Headley, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Zimmerman. That’s it. Seems some of his projections favor him a too and is usually regarded as a hard worker/coachable.

He fits to what Hahn is looking for. A young, cost controlled player who has had some taste of the big leagues (in fact.. has 160 more PAs than Gallaspie for example AND still has the same arb years AND even some playoff PAs) with very good potential. His power at the hot corner is essential as well in value. He is solid defensively at 3B, usually hits for decent enough average, and is only 25 (was Boston's former #1 prospect, no matter how overrated I think their system is sans a couple prospects :D). I wouldn't hate the idea of seeing what his asking price is and see what he can do. But if Hahn even considers it, Viciedo has to go. Love Dayan's youth, but you can't have two guys, who in some instances are basically the same player, hitting in this lineup. (sans a bit better average or a bit better power potential or a bit better BB/SO numbers, whatever) I value Middlebrooks more as a 3B with the power he's shown already and his better defense. (again, we'll see if this past season was the norm or the exception, I'd bet on the latter)

Well... I tried. :D

Edited by SoxAce

I was so thrilled when we DIDN'T get Middlebrooks in the Peavy deal. He's the most overrated young player in the entire league, IMO, and has exactly the type of skillset that has sunk this team. I think he'd be a horrible fit and I don't think he'll ever be a good player.

I'd take a flyer on him if he was free or available for a random live-arm type of prospect, but I wouldn't trade anyone of real value for him. So no, I think it's a bad idea.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
I was so thrilled when we DIDN'T get Middlebrooks in the Peavy deal. He's the most overrated young player in the entire league, IMO, and has exactly the type of skillset that has sunk this team. I think he'd be a horrible fit and I don't think he'll ever be a good player.

I'd take a flyer on him if he was free or available for a random live-arm type of prospect, but I wouldn't trade anyone of real value for him. So no, I think it's a bad idea.

I'm about at this point.

I'd have zero problem platooning him with Gillaspie if Keppinger wasn't on the roster and we weren't already carrying a spare, RH hitting pinch hitter, but he's not worth giving up anything of value for. The fact that his numbers were "Comparable to Gillaspie" when he's in his 2nd year ought to be disconcerting. He's a year younger so there's still some hope there...but he has serious flaws in his approach at the plate. He strikes out almost as much as Tyler Flowers and walks just about as much as well.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
I heard that Middlebrooks had a little bit of a big head before being sent back down to the minors. Maybe he was humbled.

I don't like the strike outs, but maybe he'd straighten it out here. I wouldn't give up Alexei Ramirez for him though.

How much more is Santiago worth than Ramirez?

It's not like there are a ton of other 3B options out there. Lawrie?

Everyone keeps saying Headley and Sandoval, but Sandoval carries huge health risks and both players aren't ones we would typically go head to head for/with the rest of MLB on the free agent market.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)

Everyone keeps saying Headley and Sandoval, but Sandoval carries huge health risks and both players aren't ones we would typically go head to head for/with the rest of MLB on the free agent market.

I don't think Santiago and Ramirez have similar value, but it is entirely different types of value.

If the Sox could get Middlebrooks for Alexei I think it would've been done already. I think Boston would say no to that. He is exactly what the Sox are looking for. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled with him but that's what happens when you shed payroll for youth.

I've thought all along that 3rd base would be one of the last positions the Sox try to fill since Gillaspie hit 14 HR's last year , is LH and shows a good approach at the plate. If say he can hit 20 HR's this year , continue drawing walks , raise his batting average , improve his OBP to around .330 and improve a little bit with the glove that would be solid.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
If the Sox could get Middlebrooks for Alexei I think it would've been done already. I think Boston would say no to that. He is exactly what the Sox are looking for. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled with him but that's what happens when you shed payroll for youth.

I've thought all along that 3rd base would be one of the last positions the Sox try to fill since Gillaspie hit 14 HR's last year , is LH and shows a good approach at the plate. If say he can hit 20 HR's this year , continue drawing walks , raise his batting average , improve his OBP to around .330 and improve a little bit with the glove that would be solid.

I do agree about Gillaspie. He was a rookie last year. And at times he was very very good with glove, then struggles hit him. I wouldn't mind seeing a platoon of Middlebrooks and Gillaspie only if Keppinger is gone.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)

If there isn't an upgrade out there, you don't trade for a poor option just for the sake of making a move. If you can't do better than Gillaspie/Keppinger, then you stick with Gillaspie/Keppinger. The best thing about them is that they're already on the team.

Middlebrooks was worse than Gillaspie last year and his hitting approach is so much worse that there's little to no reason to believe that he's going to be better than Gillaspie going forward.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't like the strike outs, but maybe he'd straighten it out here. I wouldn't give up Alexei Ramirez for him though.

Ha!

When has that ever happened...about as often as a players's OBP improves coming into this organization.

Middlebrooks is an over hyped Boston prospect. And considering he's about all they would give us for Peavy (or no-hit Iglesias), I doubt we could get him cheap anyway.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
I heard that Middlebrooks had a little bit of a big head before being sent back down to the minors. Maybe he was humbled.

And also FWIW, after being called up he hit .276/.329/.476.

Sounds like I may be the only one, but I wouldn't mind him as long as you didn't have to give up anything more than like Snodgress and Leesman, or something like that.