Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
He's already said that there's virtually no shot. There's nothing wrong with due diligence, and they'll give their pitch. It's likely Tanaka goes to the highest offer and that's not likely to be the Sox.

VERY slim chance unless for some reason this guy wants to play for the Sox. We can have some money available if need be, but is this the right way to spend it? I dont know.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
There are some interesting nuggets about Tanaka in Michael Sneed's Sun Times column today. I don't know if it's Kenny being Kenny or what but it's definitely interesting.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/2484383...ll-of-fame.html

Interesting.

“So I sent Frank a congratulatory message this morning via text and I imagine his phone has blown up with all the messages he has already been getting.

“If this business I’ve been on weren’t so important, there is no doubt in my mind I would have been there to give him a handshake and a hug.”

So what White Sox business is so important?

“There has been speculation over the last few days, but I like to keep things under the radar,” Williams said.

Hmmm. Rumor has it the White Sox are wooing Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, a Rakuten Golden Eagles team star.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
VERY slim chance unless for some reason this guy wants to play for the Sox. We can have some money available if need be, but is this the right way to spend it? I dont know.

"Some" money, even like $15 mill, doesn't seem like it's going to be nearly enough. I'm happy to see they're showing interest, but I'm not going to care if they miss out on him.

Seems like a cubs propaganda piece to pump up artificial hype.....would go a log way in moving the White Sox back into the thick of things.......

What if this cat only wants a four year deal in order to free agency at 29..........

Color me curious that is for certain.

White Sox called me yesterday to talk about renewing my partial season package.

Thanks Rock, I know your nugs always help understand the Front office's thinking. I know I appreciate any inside knowledge you bring.

As far as Tanaka wanting to play for us, I'm not sure what we really have to sell him? Being a part of a young core? Be a "L" stop away from China town? Be a part of a rebuild? However, whatever Hahn and KW has been selling seems to be working. Abreu is a large example, but look at Downs comments recently. Here's a 37-40 year old pitcher at the tail end of his career and he says he chose the Sox because they gave him the best chance to win. Now we don't know his other offers, and usually this is typical FA speak after signing a contract. But if we took Downs at his word, maybe the Sox do have this plan, and maybe Tanaka has been a part of it. I'll tell you this much, I like our chances of competiting a whole

Lot more if we do sign him.

I see no reason why he would want to play for the Sox personally. Not saying it's a factor but Seattle, Texas, Boston, and NYY have Japanese players on their team. I would give them a better chance than the SOX at this point.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
I see no reason why he would want to play for the Sox personally. Not saying it's a factor but Seattle, Texas, Boston, and NYY have Japanese players on their team. I would give them a better chance than the SOX at this point.

Well then he has a chance to be THE main Japanese guy in the 3rd largest market in America. That seemsl ike a pretty good reason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
"Some" money, even like $15 mill, doesn't seem like it's going to be nearly enough. I'm happy to see they're showing interest, but I'm not going to care if they miss out on him.

I'll keep my ear to the ground on this one because I dont think they even really expected a visit weeks ago.

The fact that the Sox would send KW to LA gives the impression that they are prepared to make him a competitve offer if they hear the right things from him.

Ichugi got a ring with the Sox when this guy was 17 years old. Maybe he was a big fan.

Who knows what really appeals to the guy. Maybe being one of the big stars on a team that is supposed to be bad but is good due in large part to him is more appealing that joining a team already favored to be outstanding and just being another guy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Tanaka is Japanese aha.

If Tanaka wants to play in Chicago I am sure that the Cubs would offer more money than the Sox.

If Tanaka wants to play where the most money is it's probably the Dodgers/Yankees/Cubs.

If Tanaka wants to play where he is comfortable and closest to home it's the Dodgers or Mariners.

I'm glad we are at least getting involved and I am excited for the situation to unfold.

Involved wouldn't matter to me if they weren't serious. They appear serious. For some reason I don't think KW planted this story with Sneed. He might have given his blessing to run with it.

Tanaka is Japanese aha.

If Tanaka wants to play in Chicago I am sure that the Cubs would offer more money than the Sox.

If Tanaka wants to play where the most money is it's probably the Dodgers/Yankees/Cubs.

If Tanaka wants to play where he is comfortable and closest to home it's the Dodgers or Mariners.

I'm glad we are at least getting involved and I am excited for the situation to unfold.

The Cubs have significantly less money than people think, they are leveraged to the eyeballs.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
Thanks Rock, I know your nugs always help understand the Front office's thinking. I know I appreciate any inside knowledge you bring.

As far as Tanaka wanting to play for us, I'm not sure what we really have to sell him? Being a part of a young core? Be a "L" stop away from China town? Be a part of a rebuild? However, whatever Hahn and KW has been selling seems to be working. Abreu is a large example, but look at Downs comments recently. Here's a 37-40 year old pitcher at the tail end of his career and he says he chose the Sox because they gave him the best chance to win. Now we don't know his other offers, and usually this is typical FA speak after signing a contract. But if we took Downs at his word, maybe the Sox do have this plan, and maybe Tanaka has been a part of it. I'll tell you this much, I like our chances of competiting a whole

Lot more if we do sign him.

China /= Japan. VERY different cultures, plus a lot of historical animosity.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
"Involved" and "seriously involved" are the same thing if they don't end up signing him. Why would you think KW would want the story ran?

Because they're serious OR to plant seeds in the fans' minds OR to draw attention away from someone OR something else. Please note that it can be all 4 or it can just be the "something else."

Interesting. Haven't really heard anything to that tune. What do you make of the whole, "Theo will not be outbid on Tanaka."?

Theo has done nothing but blow smoke up people's asses since getting that job. I don't believe anything he says anymore.

Chicago does have a healthy Japanese population. I did forget about that. Not that it will influence him but I'm sure they'll come out to the game in droves to watch a Japanese phenom take the mound.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
China /= Japan. VERY different cultures, plus a lot of historical animosity.

Yeah I think he went with the textbook, "ALL ASIAN PEOPLE LOOK/ARE THE SAME!"

Edited by pettie4sox

Tanaka is Japanese aha.

MUCH bigger Japanese communities on the west coast. If the guy really is looking for some cultural familiarity, Seattle has to be the place. They are the experts on having Japanese players in their organization, plus it is a very diverse town with a sizable Japanese population.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
The Cubs have significantly less money than people think, they are leveraged to the eyeballs.

They HAVE to be coming in under the initial revenue projections at this point. They got no money from the City or State, and they aren't even selling out anymore.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Well how the hell do the SOX have more money than the cubs? The cubs do have a Japanese pitcher unless he was cut.

Ricketts has to spend about $300 million rehabbing his dump. If JR needs a rehab, the state does it for him.

Plus Ricketts will be paying off his purchase of the team for years.

And they painted themselves into a corner. They have said they don't have the funds to compete unless they get this rehab done. But if they start spending wildly before this rehab is done, it sort of makes them liars.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Yeah I've been feeling the Mariners are a serious player as well. Not only do they have the location/history thing with Japan but Jack Z is playing for his job in Seattle. He's not going to flinch if he thinks Tanaka is the piece to put them over the top. King Felix-Tanaka-Iwakuma-Walker-Hultzen/Paxton has the potential to be the best rotation in the bigs.

There has been a ton of speculation that the Mariners are out of money