Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

Man, I had no idea that Tanaka has to be signed by Jan. 24th. I was thinking that was the deadline for teams to say if they wanted to bid the $20M or not, and then there would be a separate negotiation window. Now that I know this thing only has 2 weeks left, I'll actually pay attention more when I see stories on this. Excited for this to be over.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
Man, I had no idea that Tanaka has to be signed by Jan. 24th. I was thinking that was the deadline for teams to say if they wanted to bid the $20M or not, and then there would be a separate negotiation window. Now that I know this thing only has 2 weeks left, I'll actually pay attention more when I see stories on this. Excited for this to be over.

Bids have been submitted already. Unlike previous years, there is no clear winner due to the $20 mill posting limit. The 30 days to sign him still applies. The Sox bid $20 mill...why would you not in an instance like this?

I put the Sox at a 5% chance, but frankly, this move alone can make them a contender this year. Beyond that, they have a lot to work with next year.

Honestly, all I can do reading this thread is think back to last year when people wanted Hahn hung by his toenails for doing nothing. Given a year, I wonder how many of those posters have switched. A huge amateur international FA signing, additional prospects galore, an international professional free agent signing (and also the biggest deal in Sox history), two solid relief signings, acquring the (hopeful) CF and 3B of the future, and now involved in the Tanaka bidding.

I think they did OK.

The Sox have the payroll flexibility.

He fits Hahn's very sound strategy of not signing aging free agents and paying them enormous sums for past performance.

He is a potential right handed ace, lacking on the unbalanced staff, dominated by southpaws.

He will not cost a draft pick

The only question for me is; How good is he?

A bonus is that the Sox could then bypass the top pitching prospects in this year's draft, and perhaps have a shot at the best position player with their number 3 pick. Rodon and Hoffman may go one and two, leaving both Jackson and Davidson available. One is a catcher and the other a potential impact left handed bat. I know many say you don't draft to fill needs, but those two guys are very intriguing, and just happen to fit.

Edited by Lillian

For me, I think the favorites to land him are: Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, and the Angels but if I had to pick a couple dark horses, they would be the Sox and Mariners.

Sale

Tanaka

Quintana

Johnson

Danks(/Paulino/Rienzo/Surkamp) wouldn't look too shabby next season.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
The Sox have the payroll flexibility.

He fits Hahn's very sound strategy of not signing aging free agents and paying them enormous sums for past performance.

He is a potential right handed ace, lacking on the unbalanced staff, dominated by southpaws.

He will not cost a draft pick

The only question for me is; How good is he?

A bonus is that the Sox could then bypass the top pitching prospects in this year's draft, and perhaps have a shot at the best position player with their number 3 pick. Rodon and Hoffman may go one and two, leaving both Jackson and Davidson available. One is a catcher and the other a potential impact left handed bat. I know many say you don't draft to fill needs, but those two guys are very intriguing, and just happen to fit.

If the Sox get Tanaka, it will open the door to soo many other possibilities. Even if the Sox sign him though, which is highly unlikely, I still want them to draft pitching in the 1st round. This is by far one of most pitcher friendly drafts in years, and as KW has always said in the past is - " you can never have enough pitching depth".

I like Trea Turner and Alex Jackson, but I believe it will take them longer to get to the big leagues than a SP coming from college. The Sox need to find an upgrade at the Catcher position at some point this winter OR midseason.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
For me, I think the favorites to land him are: Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, and the Angels but if I had to pick a couple dark horses, they would be the Sox and Mariners.

Sale

Tanaka

Quintana

Johnson

Danks(/Paulino/Rienzo/Surkamp) wouldn't look too shabby next season.

I just cannot see how the Yankees could spend the kind of money they already have this offseason and then let this guy get past them unless they don't believe in him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
I just cannot see how the Yankees could spend the kind of money they already have this offseason and then let this guy get past them unless they don't believe in him.

Yeah. This dude has the Yankees written all over him. If the Sox shock the world and sign him up, then this will be the most productive long term and short term off seasons of all-time!

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
Meathead sox fan in me wants Tanaka as it would be a major blow to north side v south side rebuild. The white sox off season would be one of the biggest turnarounds in recent memory. The cubs would almost be an afterthought in the city for 2014.

The realist, that is a lot of money....

I'll be honest, I don't want the Sox signing him to the type of deal that has been kicked around at the top end... (6-7 years 20-25 million per year). I think whoever he goes to, will really regret the last 3 to 4 years of that type of deal.

I think one of the underrated factors in signing Tanaka for the Sox would be Coop. From all reports Tanaka is a pitcher that thrives on "pitching" and his splitter more than raw stuff. That fits the Coop mold for success and Coop may help him adjust to the MLB more than any other pitching coach.

I'm pretty indifferent on Tanaka. If they sign him, great. If they don't, oh well. I really don't see it happening. The cost is going to be really high and then the team is just giving away $20 million on top of it. I think he'll end up being a better than average pitcher, but I've got nowhere near the excitement that I had when it came out that the Sox were in on Abreu.

I don't think the Sox should sign him, at the kind of money being kicked around. 4x20+ or 6x15+, plus $20M posting fee, I think that could really turn out badly. People seem to not notice this, but there is a history there with players and pitchers from Japan. The great majority of them end up succeeding for 1, maybe 1.5 seasons, then fall off a cliff. There are a very few exceptions, but they are just that.

Too much risk for me, at that kind of money.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
I don't think the Sox should sign him, at the kind of money being kicked around. 4x20+ or 6x15+, plus $20M posting fee, I think that could really turn out badly. People seem to not notice this, but there is a history there with players and pitchers from Japan. The great majority of them end up succeeding for 1, maybe 1.5 seasons, then fall off a cliff. There are a very few exceptions, but they are just that.

The Sox apparently have earmarked some money for him if its in the right arena. They had a budget meeting weeks ago and apparently have had the calculator nerds in there all week.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
The Sox apparently have earmarked some money for him if its in the right arena. They had a budget meeting weeks ago and apparently have had the calculator nerds in there all week.

Have your sources told you this bit or is that educated guess on your part? I know the Sox interest surprised you a bit.

This is interesting, but I wonder what their ceiling is. I can't imagine they'll be able to outbid the Yankees if NY has serious interest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)

That, plus the ridiculous amount of mileage on his arm really scares me.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Have your sources told you this bit or is that educated guess on your part? I know the Sox interest surprised you a bit.

Well they are finding money for something, I initially pushed this off as nothing but the prep and group they sent to meet with him changed my mind a bit.

I wonder if that means "if he goes for much less than anticipated, we can get him!" or if we're really going to try to roll with the big boys. I suppose we could also try to do something funny with the contract terms to make it work, as well

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
The addition of Tanaka would, if things broke correctly, allow the Sox to deal Quintana and Danks over the next couple of years. That's a big reason .why it would be a very good signing

I love Danks and all he's done, but if they could seriously just give Danks away right now, I wouldn't care.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I love Danks and all he's done, but if they could seriously just give Danks away right now, I wouldn't care.

Well, if the Sox were to sign Tanaka you can bet the Yanks will be pretty desperate. Danks could end up being a cheaper option than some of the remaining FA starters.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Well, if the Sox were to sign Tanaka you can bet the Yanks will be pretty desperate. Danks could end up being a cheaper option than some of the remaining FA starters.

If the Sox sign Tanaka you keep Danks and let him rebuild value.

Your staff becomes Sale - Tanaka - Quintana - Danks - Johnson with Rienzo-Paulino-Surkamp all ready to fill in. That looks pretty damn good and lets you move Danks once you've gotten his value back up.