Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
Translation: Tanaka will not sign with us.

Not sure they know anything along those lines.

Word has it the pitch was about the future of the club, Chicago and the ownership.

Looks like there is more smoke here than I thought as the Sox seem to have legitimate interest for the right cost.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Sounds like they are doing what every team is doing. Exploring what his interests are.

Yup, and finally acting like the big market team they should be. We should alway be looking into guys like Tanaka, and if they are too expensive, hopefully we've at least driven up the final price for the winner.

I don't think we have a chance in hell at Tanaka, but I'm extremely happy we're doing our due diligence.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 5m

Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams and Robin Ventura met with Masahiro Tanaka today in LA. Hahn said meeting was "exploratory in nature." #WhiteSox

"Ok, so we're on Google Maps. Let's explore housing options for you."

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
This feels like how the Bulls pitched to LeBron. We declined to comment until after The Decision, and it turns out he pretty much knew where he was going before the meetings ("I decided this morning" was B.S.).

Except the part where many thought that LeBron was going to the Heat in the first place and nobody really knows where Tanaka might go. Plus the situation for both at the time isnt remotely close. But other than that yeah its similar.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
would love to make theo trash another hotel room.

Hell yeah. Imagine what the Sox signing Tanaka would do to the psychy of cub fans who have watched the cubs front office do literally nothing this off season to improve a horrible team. I can only imagine the things that would be said after the cubs have said " we won't be out bid". It will be bad enough if the cubs cannot sign him but the Sox signing him would be a total god smack across the face.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Except the part where many thought that LeBron was going to the Heat in the first place and nobody really knows where Tanaka might go. Plus the situation for both at the time isnt remotely close. But other than that yeah its similar.

Many think Tanaka is going to the Yankees (including me). Yes the situations are different but I'm just saying I feel the same way. False hope until the last second.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
With Merkin being a mouthpiece, that sounded a whole lot like the Sox want Tanaka.

I got the same impression. The way it was worded was they are going after Tanaka but they also are not trying to get Sox fans hopes up too much. That's the difference between the Sox front office and the cubs front office. Just " keeping it real" like Chappelle. :D

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
Meathead sox fan in me wants Tanaka as it would be a major blow to north side v south side rebuild. The white sox off season would be one of the biggest turnarounds in recent memory. The cubs would almost be an afterthought in the city for 2014.

The realist, that is a lot of money....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/24862934-41...iro-tanaka.html

Wow, things are getting so interesting and exciting!