Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

We were never going to outbid the Dodgers & Yankees for Tanaka. Our only chance was either luck (some connection to the White Sox or Chicago) or creativity (opt-out to free agency after a few years, etc). I don't see how anything has changed, since we should have been considered a huge long-shot from the beginning with the Yankees & Dodgers involved.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
But what about the rumor he wants to play on the west coast?

Honestly, I haven't really read that any where. It's definitely been rumored or whispered but it's all speculation. No one knows what this guy really wants. However what's not speculation, the three top day-to-day honchos went out to LA meet him face to face, pitched him. I really think that's huge sign of respect and goes along way at the end of this.

I also think the LA 3 tried to sell him on being really the first major Japenese star to pave a way for others in the 3rd largest market in the country. Even with him being quiet, it has to be appealing to get out of the spotlight of LA and media Burage in NY. He can pitch every 5th day, compete, live a quiet live in CHI without all the baggage playing for the other teams brings. He can worry about playing baseball while the Sox market him into the next big thing from Japan.

Danks' problem isn't so much showing the ball or telegraphing his delivery as command in the strike zone, getting behind in counts and particularly the lack of differentiation on his off-speed stuff and fastball.

When he was throwing 90-94 MPH, he could get away with a lot of more foul balls that turned into solid contact at lower speeds.

The movement seems to be pretty decent, but I can't say I closely monitored many of his starts in the 2nd half versus the 1st half to see what, if any, progress was noticeable.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Honestly, I haven't really read that any where. It's definitely been rumored or whispered but it's all speculation. No one knows what this guy really wants. However what's not speculation, the three top day-to-day honchos went out to LA meet him face to face, pitched him. I really think that's huge sign of respect and goes along way at the end of this.

I also think the LA 3 tried to sell him on being really the first major Japenese star to pave a way for others in the 3rd largest market in the country. Even with him being quiet, it has to be appealing to get out of the spotlight of LA and media Burage in NY. He can pitch every 5th day, compete, live a quiet live in CHI without all the baggage playing for the other teams brings. He can worry about playing baseball while the Sox market him into the next big thing from Japan.

LA has already had a Japanese star. Hideo Nomo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't buy that he wouldn't come to US to be a star. He could be quietly dominant in Japan. Why come here if not wanting everyone to know you are the best?

I think the challenge is more about proving he can pitch among the greats in MLB. They don't have that same "kick your own mother down a flight of stairs" type of mentality over there. If winning and doing so with pride is most important to him, I imagine he will be a Yankee. Where he will also be a teammate of Ichiro whose spot seems a lot more secure now with the DFAing of Venon Wells.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
@BNightengale - 2m - The #Dodgers, while confirming their interest in Tanaka, say they won't spend wildly on him, particularly with Kershaw about to hit FA

so wait they are outbidding people but not going to pay him alot of money though okay anyway i think wheatr we get Tanaka or not i think 2014 going to fun and amazing season

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I'm not upset...I actually think Garza makes more sense for the Sox. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if in 3 years, the Sox are trying to trade for Tanaka if he disappoints the team he signs with (ie: Contreras)

I think Garza makes a ton of sense. He will not cost the organization any draft picks and that seems to be the only way they will sign a FA this winter. I know he is not as young as Tanaka but he will be MUCH MUCH cheaper. I hope Hahn explores this option as well. Maybe a 3 year deal? I know this team will not be playoff contenders this year, but I believe in 2015 they will be right there.

Why not give him something like a 7 year deal, at $15 or 16 Million per year, with an opt out for him, after 4 or 5 years?

When he's 30, if he can get a bigger contract, he'd be free to take it, but still have the security of the 7 year guarantee.

The Sox have done this kind of deal before. Albert Belle was signed with an opt out.

This strategy of giving the big contracts to players during their prime is very smart. The common practice of committing big salary obligations to guys, when they are past their prime, and even "old", makes little sense. I think most agree that teams who have done that with free agents like Pujols, Cano, Hamilton and so many more, are going to regret those contracts one day.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
@BNightengale - 2m - The #Dodgers, while confirming their interest in Tanaka, say they won't spend wildly on him, particularly with Kershaw about to hit FA

Just my feelings but letting the agent of player looking at big payday know that you will not be outbid may be a perfect scenario where you bid against yourself.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
I think Garza makes a ton of sense. He will not cost the organization any draft picks and that seems to be the only way they will sign a FA this winter. I know he is not as young as Tanaka but he will be MUCH MUCH cheaper. I hope Hahn explores this option as well. Maybe a 3 year deal? I know this team will not be playoff contenders this year, but I believe in 2015 they will be right there.

Wait, didn't TX make a qualifying offer?

Not that I want him anyway.

EDIT: Saw that he was ineligible due to mid-season trade. I reluctantly give TheoJed credit for finding the most desperate trade partner - TX got raped with Edwards alone, assuming the others amount to nothing.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Why not give him something like a 7 year deal, at $15 or 16 Million per year, with an opt out for him, after 4 or 5 years?

When he's 30, if he can get a bigger contract, he'd be free to take it, but still have the security of the 7 year guarantee.

The Sox have done this kind of deal before. Albert Belle was signed with an opt out.

This strategy of giving the big contracts to players during their prime is very smart. The common practice of committing big salary obligations to guys, when they are past their prime, and even "old", makes little sense. I think most agree that teams who have done that with free agents like Pujols, Cano, Hamilton and so many more, are going to regret those contracts one day.

I think this is probably exactly what the Yankees will offer him.

In fact, IMO this might prove to be just about perfectly accurate. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up signing a 7 year deal at a $16M per average with a player opt-out smack dab in the middle of it & with absolutely no protection given to the team. I'd add the full NTC too. And maybe it ends up more like $17M per.

I don't think there's any way the Yankees don't end up with him, unless he has some deep-seeded personal distaste for the franchise. To me, this is an exact mirror of the WS/Abreu situation -- no one needs him more, and they've got the money to outbid everyone if they want. On paper, he's really a perfect fit for them. They need high-ceiling youth extra badly, and they need a #2 starter extra badly.

Maybe the Dodgers could spend as much, but they don't need him nearly as much.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Maybe him listing his preferred spots is a ploy towards the White Sox to offer more money? A guy can dream right? haha

LA geographically makes sense when he makes his non-stop flight back to Japan. NY/Boston probably makes more sense in terms of market size and American baseball televised in Japan.

IMO it would take something EXTREMELY creative and potentially also extremely risky to keep this guy from going to the Yankees or Dodgers.

He can follow Nomo in LA & geographically it's a great place. He can follow Matsui in NY.

We're way on the outside looking in on this one.

I think it's cool that we're at least making some kind of effort though. I like that mentality.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Cubs traded him. Traded players (mid-season) don't bring back picks anymore under the new CBA because you can't offer the QO.

^^^ this. Garza will only cost cash and not picks. A perfect White Sox scenario if you ask me.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Personally, I think we sign this guy.

i think so to because i think if he signs with new york what happens when happens if cc injury himself will tanaka take over does he want the pressure for him to perform when ny coverage going to insane. dodgers might have a chance but i think they going to give him the money he wants since they have kershaw and hanley as fa soon and they might resign them next season. arizona has a big chance have a god team and need number one stater so they can get him white sox will get him because this team will be very good maybe not 2014 but can win a world series soon and with behind sale this rotaion 1-2 punch since randy johnson and schilling