Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
The thought of him is exciting. However, Garza seems to fit in fine just as well. If they focus in on Garza right now while the entire league is going after Tanaka, we may just have a shot at getting him. What do you guys think?

4 year offer:

2014- $13 million

2015- $14 million

2016- $15 million

2017- $16 million

Once Tanaka goes off of the board, Garza will heat up very quickly.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are overreacting how much the Yankees are willing to pay for Tanaka. I'm sure they are going to be in it for the 15-20 million annual range, but I don't see them willing to spend over 20 million annually on him. They still have to deal with A-Rod after this year, and if they go over 20 million on Tanaka they are right back to where they were with no breathing room under the luxury tax. I'd be more worried about the Dodgers being the ones to spoil all the fun and offer him something nuts.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
I think people are overreacting how much the Yankees are willing to pay for Tanaka. I'm sure they are going to be in it for the 15-20 million annual range, but I don't see them willing to spend over 20 million annually on him. They still have to deal with A-Rod after this year, and if they go over 20 million on Tanaka they are right back to where they were with no breathing room under the luxury tax. I'd be more worried about the Dodgers being the ones to spoil all the fun and offer him something nuts.

To me, the fact that someone is trying to leak "preferred cities" shows me that teams are afraid that their bids arent going to win, and they want to drive the price down, or lessen interest.

I also think that his camp is more interested in the team and ownership than we think. There is a reason that Jerry was involved here and having all the top brass pitch was a great move by the Sox.

Abreu got the full court press as well. IN the end our offer was competitive (I dont believe we were the highest, barely), and our management sold the Sox future IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
Could be.

I'm hearing they think they can afford it, and they could also move salary (I assume Dunn).

Their pitch was pretty much all out including Jerry, thats pretty telling.

Maybe Danks? Would rebalance the rotation if they suspect Surkamp can beat Rienzo for the 5th spot since they've said they don't expect Paulino to be ready to start.

Dodgers could be in a similar position since they want to extend Ramirez and Kershaw.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:33 AM)
It didn't fall on deaf ears. No one even knows if that offer was made to Choo. Regardless, as was said in the offer thread, Choo's contract in Texas is more valuable than the rumored contract in NY.

I think this quote from Jake in the other thread is spot on. "Easy to say players always go for the money when we hardly, if ever, know what their other offers were"

I do agree the tax savings certainly could have been a factor and likely was but Choo did say he wanted to play in Texas too. In the end we really never know if other offers reported were true but we might no know about offers that weren't reported on either.

I feel with Tanaka its about more than just the highest bid.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:37 AM)
This would be awesome.

Any idea how interested Tanaka is in Chicago though? Or is it all about the money for him

I think they are hoping its not.

The Sox, although a question mark, are building a nice core and their pitching is solid. Its a somewhat attractive destination, especially since the expectations this year arent all that high yet.

With a guy in Tanaka's position, there will be other costs, benefits, and risks to think about beyond mere guaranteed dollars. Take the Cespedes deal as an example -- people don't think Oakland offered the most money, but they renounced their team control of him after the contract ends. Cespedes was willing to take that gamble.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:47 AM)
With a guy in Tanaka's position, there will be other costs, benefits, and risks to think about beyond mere guaranteed dollars. Take the Cespedes deal as an example -- people don't think Oakland offered the most money, but they renounced their team control of him after the contract ends. Cespedes was willing to take that gamble.

Great point. The big spending teams want him locked up for a long time.

If hes as good as he thinks, how about a shorter term with an out or escalators?

This offseason has gone almost exactly how I penned it in a "pie in the sky" scenario. On that list was also Tanka... which, I totally had zero faith would come to pass... It just made sense to sign him because he fits with the long term path we're on.

Seeing now thou that Hanh, KW, Robin, and Jerry all where involved in the pitch... With the maximum posting fee ruling in place with deferments... It's looking like a serious possibility.

Just... Wow.

If I lived in Chicago and this got done, I'd pre-buy season tickets for 5 years.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I've been checking it the past few days just ecause it's a Japenese press outlet. Granted they are just posting the latest, I think it has the least spin. Anyways it should get interesting, I was more confident yesterday, when I thought it was only the Sox brass that met with him. But it looks like most teams did it this way. I still am confident we sold him on this team. With KWs comments, Downs comments after signing, and just the overall overhaul we've done in a few month. I'm not puting anything past Hahn, I think the money is there. More than people in this board woul like to commit, and more than we think. Like Rock said with Jerry being involved, the accounting meeting beforehand, it's clear we went "All in." and truthfully, minus the huge supposed $ it might cost, he fits perfect with what we are doing. And when they were meeting and had the thought of Sale and Tanaka in their prime in this rotation. I have a good feeling. Here's the posts.

http://yakyubaka.com/2014/01/11/1112014-ma...aka-news-notes/

Masahiro Tanaka updates from Saturday, January 11, 2014:

According to Nikkan Sports:

The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have likely met with Tanaka in the Beverly Hills area.

Chicago White Sox Executive Vice President Ken Williams, General Manager Rick Hahn, and Manager Robin Ventura met Tanaka.

Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers and Owner Ken Kendrick met Tanaka.  They may have offered him the number eighteen.

Chicago Cubs Owner Tom Ricketts, President Theo Epstein, GM Jed Hoyer, and Manager Rick Renteria met Tanaka.  They may have shown him a video of their various facilities.

Source: Nikkan Sports 1/11/2014

According to Sponichi:

Tanaka met with six to eight teams on the 9th (US time) for about thirty to forty minutes each.

Chicago White Sox Owner Jerry Reinsdorf was also in attendance.

Tanaka could meet teams like the Boston Red Sox, Seattle Mariners, Houston Astros, and Toronto Blue Jays on the 10th (US time)/11th (Japan time).

Source: Sponichi 1/11/2014

[uPDATE @ 2:58pm]

According to a tweet by the San Francisco Chronicle's John Shea, Tanaka's top three cities are Los Angeles, New York, and Boston.

Source: Daily Sports 1/11/2014

[uPDATE @ 6:29pm]

Tanaka flew into Narita Airport out of Los Angeles today.  He did not speak to the media.

Source: Nikkan Sports 1/11/2014

Big thing, he gone, from LA. Sale pitches are over at least for his Tanaka not his agent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
Ill put it out here so my box doesnt keep filling up.

I've heard from my contacts that the Sox think they may be able to afford him, however it it breaks 20 mil annually, they are out.

Holy s***.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=21500933&...w.google.com%2F

One thing to point out about the Yankees is that they were at the their luxury tax threshold prior to the A-Rod suspension, but that number that did not include arb & pre-arb players. MLBTradeRumors.com projects their 5 arb eligible players to make about $15M next year and if you throw in another $3M to complete the roster, they'll probably be $4M under the threshold after their $22M in savings from the A-Rod suspension. This is assuming they make no other major moves.

So for the Yankees to add Tanaka, they'd have to go over the luxury tax threshold and pay 50% in penalties for every dollar over $4M. If Tanaka were to get an AAV of $20M, the Yankees would pay $8M in penalties. I'm not sure if that itself is a big deal for them, but right now they have the opportunity to reset their luxury tax rate to 17.5%, which has been a goal of the Yankees. Assuming the article above is accurate, I don't see how they can add Tanaka and fall below the threshold. It would have to be one or the other.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 01:16 AM)
Jerry was involved too, I can 100% guarantee it, maybe he was on the phone.

He was involved, he was there in person. The update I posted from the Japan website said it. Backing what you said, other than you Rock and that site. It wasn't reported any where else. Most people reported just Hahn, KW, and Robin. Never doubt Rocks sources. Hopefuly the next thing you break is we signed him!

Edited by Frank_Thomas35