Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Why not give him something like a 7 year deal, at $15 or 16 Million per year, with an opt out for him, after 4 or 5 years?

When he's 30, if he can get a bigger contract, he'd be free to take it, but still have the security of the 7 year guarantee.

The Sox have done this kind of deal before. Albert Belle was signed with an opt out.

This strategy of giving the big contracts to players during their prime is very smart. The common practice of committing big salary obligations to guys, when they are past their prime, and even "old", makes little sense. I think most agree that teams who have done that with free agents like Pujols, Cano, Hamilton and so many more, are going to regret those contracts one day.

Because that might not be enough money.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
I don't think there's any way the Yankees don't end up with him, unless he has some deep-seeded personal distaste for the franchise. To me, this is an exact mirror of the WS/Abreu situation -- no one needs him more, and they've got the money to outbid everyone if they want. On paper, he's really a perfect fit for them. They need high-ceiling youth extra badly, and they need a #2 starter extra badly.

Maybe the Dodgers could spend as much, but they don't need him nearly as much.

The Dodgers and Yankees both could sign both Tanaka and one of Scherzer/Price. Re: all the lux tax talk, even in spite of the penalties incurred they aren't nearly as severe as those handed out in the NBA & from a revenue sharing perspective, and also from a QO & arbitration perspective (given how these salaries are calculated/projected) I can't see the commissioner's office or especially the player's association being all too concerned about either the Dodgers or Yankees violating the rules so long as they pay the penalties.

Also as an aside I'm not sure how the lux tax counts on salaries paid to players performing on other teams. For example, the Dodgers could eat 40% of Either and 50% of Crawford and trade those guys, and I'm not sure if what they would be paying out to the other team would count against the lux tax, and if so, whether 100% of each dollar would count or just a smaller %.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
^^^ this. Garza will only cost cash and not picks. A perfect White Sox scenario if you ask me.

Agree & I'm on that bandwagon too. Garza has a much lesser potential of hurting us, assuming it's 4 years or less. Of course the flip side is that whoever loses big on Tanaka - and the DBacks & Yankees seem to best fit this description IMO should he say, go to the Dodgers - is going to definitely want to sign the #2 guy out there. And IMO that's Garza, and 5 years or more, if that's on the table, I'm not touching that.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Agree & I'm on that bandwagon too. Garza has a much lesser potential of hurting us, assuming it's 4 years or less. Of course the flip side is that whoever loses big on Tanaka - and the DBacks & Yankees seem to best fit this description IMO should he say, go to the Dodgers - is going to definitely want to sign the #2 guy out there. And IMO that's Garza, and 5 years or more, if that's on the table, I'm not touching that.

I think Garza can be had at 4 years for sure.

The Sox likely sat down with him, Casey Close, and a translator and said "We really like what you have to offer. We think you'd be a great fit in Chicago not only this year, but for years to come. You could really build a legacy here and become one of the greatest Japanese born players to play in the Majors. [more smoke up ass] What are you looking for in terms of a contract? OK, cool beans bro, here's about what we're willing to offer. If you feel like you want to play for us, we'd love it; if not, we respect your decision and wish you the best of luck. PS sake blows, how do you guys drink that s***?"

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
It's just rumor mongering. It's no different than how Hahn said he had talks "exploratory in nature" and some writer headlined an article WHITE SOX IN HOT PURSUIT OF TANAKA

I agree. Everything that comes out is pure speculation and beat writers planting stuff for negotiation sake. It's already been stated Tanka and his agent prefer negotioations to sty confidential. I would think teams would respect that in fear of losing him because of it. I think the best place to look are Japenese newspapers for the best nuggets.

Just your gut?

[/quote

Ya unfortunatly no inside knowledge here, just my gut. However I just have a feeling with KW quotes in the Sun times, the three of them going there to meet him, the posting changes, and the fact this guy fits into exactly what they are trying to build. I had this same feeling with Abreu once stuff started to surface. This kid is different, ya he came to the US, to be a star who doesn't. But it's different he's a competitor and I think in the end the bright lights of Ny, LA, and BOS makes us more appealing. He can asimilate without being hounded about every pitch and move. Again gut feeling but I think we end up in top.

I loved Shingo Takatsu and his frisbee pitch. Here is a link to what he thought of the Sox. Hire him as White Sox ambassdor to Japan.

Shingo Takatsu interview

Off topic. Anybody really good at photoshop? I was hoping to make a new avatar to replace Paul Konerko Flash. As you can tell, I am not so good at it and I used microsoft paint. I was hoping to make a picture of Spanky from The Little Rascals with a Sox hat.

Little Rascals website with pictures

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)
I loved Shingo Takatsu and his frisbee pitch. Here is a link to what he thought of the Sox. Hire him as White Sox ambassdor to Japan.

Shingo Takatsu interview

i like shingo and tadahito the first jappase born player to win a world series they was awesome even though it was for a short while

Edited by timbo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
If they are then so is everyone here.

The thought of him is exciting. However, Garza seems to fit in fine just as well. If they focus in on Garza right now while the entire league is going after Tanaka, we may just have a shot at getting him. What do you guys think?

4 year offer:

2014- $13 million

2015- $14 million

2016- $15 million

2017- $16 million

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
The thought of him is exciting. However, Garza seems to fit in fine just as well. If they focus in on Garza right now while the entire league is going after Tanaka, we may just have a shot at getting him. What do you guys think?

4 year offer:

2014- $13 million

2015- $14 million

2016- $15 million

2017- $16 million

I'm on board for him. Either that or do the numbers opposite so it's more front loaded. Either way works.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
Why the hell would we sign Matt Garza? He did so well in that launching pad in Texas lets put him in another one.

^

Garza is a KW move.

I don't think Hahn brings a flyball pitcher to the cell for that kind of money after putting together a full bullpen of groundballers

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
^

Garza is a KW move.

I don't think Hahn brings a flyball pitcher to the cell for that kind of money after putting together a full bullpen of groundballers

It really makes very little sense to bring up Garza. Tanaka is a different story. Young pitcher who could be next to Sale for years and drastically improve the team. Garza doesnt drastically improve the team and we know what he is.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
It really makes very little sense to bring up Garza. Tanaka is a different story. Young pitcher who could be next to Sale for years and drastically improve the team. Garza doesnt drastically improve the team and we know what he is.

Being on the wrong side of 30 is a bad thing too. Not that he will necessarily follow it, but use Edwin Jackson as an example. He was a 29 year old, signed a $52 million deal, and came out and put up a 4.98 ERA with a strikeout rate getting worse and a walk rate climbing.

Matt Garza is just not a smart move at this point. I said it before and I'm saying it again. If you have the choice to get an ace like Tanaka, sure, do it, go ahead. Why spend that kind of money on a #3 starter (at best) when you already have a guy who is getting paid that to do that in Danks, 2 assured rotation spots, and then 4 more guys in Johnson, Paulino, Rienzo, and Surkamp that can hold down the last two spots?

It's not the move this team needs right now.