Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I love Danks and all he's done, but if they could seriously just give Danks away right now, I wouldn't care.

Gotta disagree with you here. We aren't hurting for money and Danks is four good months away from being a valuable trade deadline chip. Trading him now for pennies on the dollar would be incredibly short-sighted. And for our own competitive purposes, Danks at 95% of his peak performance is still a much better starting option than Rienzo, Paulino, & Surkamp. I'll take my chances he'll be close to his former self in 2014 rather than just give him away in fear he'll never come close to returning to form.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Gotta disagree with you here. We aren't hurting for money and Danks is four good months away from being a valuable trade deadline chip. Trading him now for pennies on the dollar would be incredibly short-sighted. And for our own competitive purposes, Danks at 95% of his peak performance is still a much better starting option than Rienzo, Paulino, & Surkamp. I'll take my chances he'll be close to his former self in 2014 rather than just give him away in fear he'll never come close to returning to form.

Because if he performs anywhere close to his old self, he becomes an extremely valuable, cost-controlled trade chip at worst.

Even a diminished Danks as a #4, being a lefty, is probably going to be about market value by the end of his deal if things keep going as they have been. And if not, and if so much good, pre-arb pitching enters the game that back-end starters aren't going to be paid as much, then he's still probably no more than a $4-5M per over payment, which puts him in reasonable dump territory. OTOH if Danks turns it around he'll have nice value & that will be great for us.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I love Danks and all he's done, but if they could seriously just give Danks away right now, I wouldn't care.

I understand, but Tanaka would buy them time in hopes that he rehabs enough to get something back. As of today, Danks is an important part of the rotation.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
If the Sox sign Tanaka you keep Danks and let him rebuild value.

Your staff becomes Sale - Tanaka - Quintana - Danks - Johnson with Rienzo-Paulino-Surkamp all ready to fill in. That looks pretty damn good and lets you move Danks once you've gotten his value back up.

I just don't have much faith left I Danks these days. He certainly is young enough to rebound but what scares me is his delivery. I could be wrong but has he always showed the ball to the hitters the way he does now? Watching his delivery its like he's telegraphing (tipping) his next pitch to the batter on every pitch. He really does give the batter a good look.

I guess it comes down to if you think he can rebound you keep him or if you think he cannot you get out from under him while you can which is what I'm leaning towards.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
I just don't have much faith left I Danks these days. He certainly is young enough to rebound but what scares me is his delivery. I could be wrong but has he always showed the ball to the hitters the way he does now? Watching his delivery its like he's telegraphing (tipping) his next pitch to the batter on every pitch. He really does give the batter a good look.

I guess it comes down to if you think he can rebound you keep him or if you think he cannot you get out from under him while you can which is what I'm leaning towards.

Just throw out the last two years due to injury. 2012 was related to being injured, and 2013 was his first year back off of surgery. Both of the years he had are "normal" for the surgery he had.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Just throw out the last two years due to injury. 2012 was related to being injured, and 2013 was his first year back off of surgery. Both of the years he had are "normal" for the surgery he had.

I totally understand and you're right. I'm just having a difficult time believing he will rebound as long as he keeps showing the ball to hitters the way he does.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
I totally understand and you're right. I'm just having a difficult time believing he will rebound as long as he keeps showing the ball to hitters the way he does.

From 2008 to 2011, Johnny put up WARs of 5.0, 2.9, 4.3, & 3.1. Was he showing the ball to hitters then, because that's an incredibly productive stretch. Even at the low-end of his performance, he's a 3 WAR player and easily worth his contract.

I get that we're all disappointed with his 2012 & 2013 seasons, but obviously they were the result of injuries. He should be closer to normal next year and I don't see why a 3.0 WAR is that unreasonable. That's incredibly valuable as our #3 or #4 starter and he gives us a much better chance to win than giving his 30 starts to Rienzo, Paulino, or Surkamp.

With or without Tanaka, Danks make sense for our rotation in 2014. Let him rebuild his value and then reevaluate your SP situation. By next year, you may have Beck knocking at the door and/or Hoffman waiting in the wings. Until then, give him 30 starts next year and hope we see the Danks that was one of the better, young left-handed starters from 2008 to 2011.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
From 2008 to 2011, Johnny put up WARs of 5.0, 2.9, 4.3, & 3.1. Was he showing the ball to hitters then

This my question. We all know how good Danks was back then so his stats are irrelevant to my question. I really don't recall him showing the ball back then the way he does now which is why I asked the question in the first place. I admit I could be wrong this, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just me seeing a problem that isn't really a problem?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)

This.

Regardless of Tanaka, best to wait on Danks. Value rebuilding could begin with his 1st start, if he's ready.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
This my question. We all know how good Danks was back then so his stats are irrelevant to my question. I really don't recall him showing the ball back then the way he does now which is why I asked the question in the first place. I admit I could be wrong this, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just me seeing a problem that isn't really a problem?

I don't recall his delivery being noticeably different now versus any time in the past. Any video evidence or something to gnaw on?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
I don't recall his delivery being noticeably different now versus any time in the past. Any video evidence or something to gnaw on?

I was watching pretty close last year to see if his motion changed after surgery and I didn't notice much. However, I was watching mostly shoulder and elbow position and wasn't really paying attention to his wrist/hand.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I was watching pretty close last year to see if his motion changed after surgery and I didn't notice much. However, I was watching mostly shoulder and elbow position and wasn't really paying attention to his wrist/hand.

Since you are here, do you feel reasonably certain that Danks should get his velocity back to "normal" this year?

So I did a little looking around on the Internet today, just googling Tanaka and the latest news surrounding him. I found it very interesting the White Sox have really been the only team to be rumored and confirmed to have spoken to Tanka and his agent personally. By that I mean, KW, Hahn, and Robin met him in person and told them what they had to offer. Now other teams very well could have done the same thing and the White Sox have been the only team that leaked. However, I find that hard to believe with the hype surrounding Tanaka. That being said, by the Sox showing the respect to show up personably and pitch him with really the three figure heads of the Org. Shouldn't be underestimated. Japan is a culture rooted in respect and by us reaching out like this could go a long way. Finally, I came across a Japanese article saying Tanaka plans to be in LA through Friday to meet teams take a physical and i took it as leave to go back to Japan and think befor 1/24. If that's true the process could be wrapped up as far as Tanaka and teams, obviously the agent and teams will be in contact. But if we were able to impress upon Tanaka in person with those three the significance he could bring to our franchise and city could separate us. It's been said this guy is a low key quiet competitor and exact opposite as Yu was who embraced the rock star figure in Japan.

Here's some of the links I came across, that state teams interest, however it was through feeling out and a personal meeting has yet to take place. Again could be nothing but it's odd you haven't heard any other top tier Organizational guys meet Tanaka.

Blue Jays: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/gibbons-c...rest-in-tanaka/

Rangers: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/ranger...p;vkey=news_mlb

Angels: http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/2014-articl...son-opener.html

Japan News: http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000931576

Overall update: http://www.bleachernation.com/2014/01/10/o...rs-posting-fee/

MLB.com Sox article: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

And then there is this... Via MLbtr just now

Dodgers Plan To Go "All Out" To Sign Tanaka

By Steve Adams [January 10 at 1:04pm CST]

While team president Stan Kasten said in a radio interview yesterday not to predict the Dodgers to land Masahiro Tanaka, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (via Twitter) that the Dodgers have made it known that they will go "all out" to sign the Japanese ace and "certainly won't be outbid."

Of course, because of the new posting agreement between Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Baseball, signing Tanaka is no longer simply a matter of outbidding your opponents. Any team that wishes to pay the $20MM posting fee can negotiate with Tanaka as if he were a free agent, and the team would only lose that $20MM if an agreement between the two sides were to be reached. In other words, virtually any team in the Majors can afford to negotiate with Tanaka, and he could have preferences beyond signing for top dollar.

We've heard a great number of teams connected to Tanaka over the past two days, as the right-hander is in Los Angeles at this time meeting with teams face-to-face. In the past 24 hours alone, the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox, Blue Jays and Indians have all been linked to Tanaka.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Wellp, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm not upset...I actually think Garza makes more sense for the Sox. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if in 3 years, the Sox are trying to trade for Tanaka if he disappoints the team he signs with (ie: Contreras)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Wellp, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm still optimistic, maybe this guy doesn't just want the $. Maybe he wants to be "The Guy" and can certaintly be that here. In the MLBTR update it quote their team president not to predict him to land with LA on a radio show and now this???. This could all be desperation. Although Nightengale is usually damn good and spot on, the winds out of the sail, but I still say we have a chance. Those three don't take that trip if they hadn't been in contact with his agent and believed they had a shot with a good pitch. That coupled with Rocks update with the Accounting Geeks coming together, if we can offer a competitive offer in terms of dollars who know what Hahn can work in the contract and what was said to sell him and separate the south side.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
I'm still optimistic, maybe this guy doesn't just want the $. Maybe he wants to be "The Guy" and can certaintly be that here. In the MLBTR update it quote their team president not to predict him to land with LA on a radio show and now this???. This could all be desperation. Although Nightengale is usually damn good and spot on, the winds out of the sail, but I still say we have a chance. Those three don't take that trip if they hadn't been in contact with his agent and believed they had a shot with a good pitch. That coupled with Rocks update with the Accounting Geeks coming together, if we can offer a competitive offer in terms of dollars who know what Hahn can work in the contract and what was said to sell him and separate the south side.

But what about the rumor he wants to play on the west coast?