Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
As someone else said, the word has always been that he owns about 5%. It could be the case that he has bought/inherited stake from owners that have bowed out or died.

I believe JR owns a much heftier portion of the Bulls, somewhere in the stratosphere of 65%

Same thing I always had understood.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had an article in the Tribune about the White Sox ownership several months ago. JR is the Chairman, and pretty much all of the decisions are his to make, and there really isn't anything any of the others can do about it. A couple of other partners estimated JR's current ownership at around 13%. JR said it was much higher.

In fact, if he croaked tomorrow, the executor of his estate would determine who ran the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
They both hold incredible sway with each other, that is very true.

I'm trying to get something to pop in Google, but I want to say it was fairly kind of out there that JR had a big say in who the next Cubs owner was going to be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
If the Sox pull off what many here regard as "The Impossible" and sign Tanaka, does that change anyone's perception of the Sox chance to win this season? Or does everyone leave 2014 as "work in progress"?

I'd put the Sox at about a 88-90 win team, up from about 82/3 that I see now, with the type of pitching they would have.

If the Sox pull off what many here regard as "The Impossible" and sign Tanaka, does that change anyone's perception of the Sox chance to win this season? Or does everyone leave 2014 as "work in progress"?

I'd have them making the playoffs as a Wild Card. And with Sale-Tanaka-Quintana as your front three, anything could happen in October.

I'd say it might do the opposite , because 2015 definitely would look like a possible contention year. It should force the Sox to become more aggressive as far as seeing what they've got so they have a better idea of what they would need to do after the season. Maybe they would be more aggressive with the likes of Semien and/or Davidson than they would normally plan on being.

But I think we're a major long shot here, and we only get him if we get very creative. I mentioned an opt-out clause in the middle of the deal ala CC Sabathia and recently Elvis Andrus, I think it would probably at least have to be something like that since I can't see us giving 6-7 years of big guaranteed money to any pitcher. And Tanaka may still get that big mid-contract opt-out even at a massive annual salary because because the current demand is so great, ala LeBron with the Heat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
In fact, if he croaked tomorrow, the executor of his estate would determine who ran the White Sox.

This is pretty impossible to believe. Corporations generally have their own succession plan.

IE Should the Chairman be unable to perform Vice Chair takes over until new Chairman is selected.

So without looking at any documents and completely guessing I would bet based on (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cws) that:

1) Einhorn would be the acting chairman and 2) the board of directors would vote on a new chairman.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)

Where does that leave the rotation?

Sale

Tanaka

Danks

Quntana

Johnson

Rienzo and Paulino and the other minimal signing guys?

I'd actually wait on that until I saw how the rotation shook out. It sure seemed like they signed Paulino with the intention of him actually playing based on everything said here.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
This is pretty impossible to believe. Corporations generally have their own succession plan.

IE Should the Chairman be unable to perform Vice Chair takes over until new Chairman is selected.

So without looking at any documents and completely guessing I would bet based on (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cws) that:

1) Einhorn would be the acting chairman and 2) the board of directors would vote on a new chairman.

I'm not making it up.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)

Wasn't there an article in the last year about trying to get a succession plan together? I want to say in the Tribune, and something involving his son? Or maybe that was with the Bulls?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Wasn't there an article in the last year about trying to get a succession plan together? I want to say in the Tribune, and something involving his son? Or maybe that was with the Bulls?

Yeah it was the Bulls.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07...ls-gar-forman/2

JR recommended the Sox be sold on his death.

ESPN Chicago article had an update about Tanaka and featured quotes from the Dodgers GM Ned Colette, who has been in contact with his agent, Casey, since he was posted. Colette says he will meet with teams to hear their pitches about living in the different cities, the markets, and the teams going forward. If this is the case, and he is interested in the best location for him, not just $. I give us a better chance, a long shot but a better chance. I like KW and Hahn at least getting an opportunity to sell the South Side to him and why Chicago needs a Japenese star. And I wouldn't under estimate Hahn's negotiation skills and the way he irons out contracts when it gets to that point. It's been said many times in the media that's his area of expertise. Here's what I found interesting ill post a link for the article as well.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=102...mp;city=chicago

Tanaka and agent Casey Close have until a deadline of 5 p.m. ET Jan. 24 to have a contract and physical completed with a team.

The right-hander went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in the Japanese League last season and is considered by many to be a top-of-the-rotation starter. The major league team that signs Tanaka, 25, will owe a $20 million posting fee to the Rakuten Golden Eagles.

There have been reports that Tanaka will initially meet with the Cubs and White Sox.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Wednesday that Tanaka is trying to educate himself about what it would be like to play in each of the cities.

"I talked to Casey as soon as they announced he was going to be posted and as soon as they announced Casey would represent him," Colletti said. "Obviously, Casey and I go back quite a while. They're in a feeling-out process. They're trying to learn about different cities, different teams, different markets, how teams are constructed going forward.

"You know, it's a big decision for the player too, so we've had those types of conversations and we'll continue to see where it goes."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)

The article is written really poorly.

But here is the key:

He said that gives him — and the executors of his will, whom he declined to name — authority to sell without the approval of other investors.

This may or may not be true. The rationale stated in the article is because of JRs ownership in a company that owns the company.

Its interesting, Ive never seen anything like this before so Im not sure what would happen.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
I'd say it might do the opposite , because 2015 definitely would look like a possible contention year. It should force the Sox to become more aggressive as far as seeing what they've got so they have a better idea of what they would need to do after the season. Maybe they would be more aggressive with the likes of Semien and/or Davidson than they would normally plan on being.

But I think we're a major long shot here, and we only get him if we get very creative. I mentioned an opt-out clause in the middle of the deal ala CC Sabathia and recently Elvis Andrus, I think it would probably at least have to be something like that since I can't see us giving 6-7 years of big guaranteed money to any pitcher. And Tanaka may still get that big mid-contract opt-out even at a massive annual salary because because the current demand is so great, ala LeBron with the Heat.

I can see the Sox being serious contenders for Tanaka. A 25 yo international FA that would be signed for years to come fits in with what Hahn's plans, provided the contract cost isn't too steep. I know the Yanks will try to outbid everyone but maybe Hahn can remind Tanaka and his agent about how s***ty Irabu was treated by Steinbrenner and how well Takatsu and Iguchi were treated by the Sox as well as the fans.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
I can see the Sox being serious contenders for Tanaka. A 25 yo international FA that would be signed for years to come fits in with what Hahn's plans, provided the contract cost isn't too steep. I know the Yanks will try to outbid everyone but maybe Hahn can remind Tanaka and his agent about how s***ty Irabu was treated by Steinbrenner and how well Takatsu and Iguchi were treated by the Sox as well as the fans.

I would tend to agree with you, but not only the Yanks, but LAD, LAA, Mariners and possibly Cubs and Red Sox are going to try and outbid each other. I think this ends up a mind numbingly huge contract.

Here's another reason our interest may be increasing, the posting fee will now be split in 4 payments, instead of 2. That could be huge.

From MLBTR:

THURSDAY: The posting fee will actually be split into four payments over 18 months, Major League sources tell Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel. According to McDaniel, the payment schedule breaks down as follows:

10 percent of posting fee due within 14 days of the submission of the posted player's contract (for the Rakuten Golden Eagles, that would mean $10MM on Feb. 7).

17 percent of the posting fee due within six months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24).

17 percent of the posting fee due within 12 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on Jan. 24, 2015).

16 percent of the posting fee due within 18 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.2MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24, 2015).

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
Here's another reason our interest may be increasing, the posting fee will now be split in 4 payments, instead of 2. That could be huge.

From MLBTR:

THURSDAY: The posting fee will actually be split into four payments over 18 months, Major League sources tell Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel. According to McDaniel, the payment schedule breaks down as follows:

10 percent of posting fee due within 14 days of the submission of the posted player's contract (for the Rakuten Golden Eagles, that would mean $10MM on Feb. 7).

17 percent of the posting fee due within six months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24).

17 percent of the posting fee due within 12 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.4MM for the Golden Eagles on Jan. 24, 2015).

16 percent of the posting fee due within 18 months of the submission of the posted player's contract ($3.2MM for the Golden Eagles on July 24, 2015).

That first payment should be 50 percent or else those numbers seem very off.