Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Ricketts has to spend about $300 million rehabbing his dump. If JR needs a rehab, the state does it for him.

Plus Ricketts will be paying off his purchase of the team for years.

And they painted themselves into a corner. They have said they don't have the funds to compete unless they get this rehab done. But if they start spending wildly before this rehab is done, it sort of makes them liars.

The cubs pay an estimated $50 million dollars of operating revenue annually to service the debt they took on to purchase the team. The cash cow is also not as fruitful as it once was.

Papa Ameritrade didn't give son Ameritrade the money to purchase the team and from some accounts is not to interested in caring about winning baseball on the northside hence the three, now five year plus rebuilding plan.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Well how the hell do the SOX have more money than the cubs? The cubs do have a Japanese pitcher unless he was cut.

Sox are owned by a bunch of people, their combined assets likely is equal to or exceeds the Ricketts family. Reinsdorf is a figurehead, he (unless its changed) is not even the single biggest owner.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
There has also been a ton of speculation that they are the favorites.

I've seen them, the Cubs, the DBacks, and the Yankees, as well as the Sox, Blue Jays, Rangers, Angels, Dodgers, and others showing interest. I think calling anybody a favorite at this point is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Sox are owned by a bunch of people, their combined assets likely is equal to or exceeds the Ricketts family. Reinsdorf is a figurehead, he (unless its changed) is not even the single biggest owner.

This is how I understand it as well.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Has the Reinsdorf thing ever been confirmed? It's been rumored for awhile but i don't think there's anything official on it.

No, but there's enough smoke there to reasonably assume it to be true. Being a private entity, they don't have to disclose the members or numbers or anything to the public, but there have been quite a few reports from people that know people within the White Sox organization on here.

I think I recall reading that one of the big guys at RC Cola was on the board for the Chicago White Sox, but that's merely hearsay and dot connecting from like 5-7 years ago.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Same with the Bulls or is JR the sole proprietor of that?

Yep its an investment group. Famously Steinbrenner rejected joining.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Has the Reinsdorf thing ever been confirmed? It's been rumored for awhile but i don't think there's anything official on it.

Well for sure it was Robert Mazer but he died in October, Im not exactly sure how his stake has been split. It may be Charles Walsh now.

If you look at the Board of Directors, youll get an idea:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front...ce.jsp?c_id=cws

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
No, but there's enough smoke there to reasonably assume it to be true. Being a private entity, they don't have to disclose the members or numbers or anything to the public, but there have been quite a few reports from people that know people within the White Sox organization on here.

I think I recall reading that one of the big guys at RC Cola was on the board for the Chicago White Sox, but that's merely hearsay and dot connecting from like 5-7 years ago.

No its definitely confirmed.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-07...jerry-reinsdorf

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/199...p-stake-in-play

Its a pretty large ownership group, there are a lot of small owners as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)

This goes back about 8 years when I was in law school, but the then general counsel of the Sox, have no idea if it's still the same guy, spoke at a lunch. He was asked a question about the ownership and he even said it's convoluted, technically he's the only person who can really answer it but even he needs a bunch of documents in front of him to do so.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
It's still noteworthy.

I guess. They were also the favorites to land Nelson Cruz too, and literally nothing has come from that front in a month. Maybe they still sign him. The Yankees were the favorites to re-sign Robinson Cano until the Mariners offered him a monstrosity of a contract too. Frankly, until there is a lot of smoke, there's really no way to know. These are pretty much signals right now.

If it happens that way, good for those guys. If it doesn't, they reported what they heard. I am frankly not going to consider them wrong or right either way. Some of what those guys do is report tidbits from sources who are connecting dots and don't have any actual inside knowledge. They are also hearing it from people who are trying to throw off the scent of a trail. And sometimes it is inside info. This early in the process though, all we are doing is seeing teams who are actually meeting with him and showing preliminary interest, and in the next few days, we'll find out who is negotiating with him.

Thats the thing, the Ricketts borrowed a s***load of money to buy the Cubs, they dont have the money themselves.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Thats the thing, the Ricketts borrowed a s***load of money to buy the Cubs, they dont have the money themselves.

Back in the day I used to tell my Cubs friends that Reinsdorf and Selig got together and colluded to ensure that the 1) Cuban didnt get the team and 2) The ownership group lead by Banks didnt get the team, to ensure that the Brewers and Sox could compete with them.

Its just tin foil hat, but there was something odd about how that sale went down.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Yep its an investment group. Famously Steinbrenner rejected joining.

Well for sure it was Robert Mazer but he died in October, Im not exactly sure how his stake has been split. It may be Charles Walsh now.

If you look at the Board of Directors, youll get an idea:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front...ce.jsp?c_id=cws

Steinbrenner was part of the group that sold the Bulls (with Michael Jordan) to Reinsdorf. No cash. They just assumed some debt. Lee Stern wrote about it. JR offered him as much of the Bulls as he wanted and he passed. Said it was the biggest business mistake he has ever made.

You can sell him the 3rd biggest market, being able to pair with Sale to form an outstanding 1-2 punch, being THE Japanese guy in the market, the Sox being in a better position than the Cubs, the love Shingo and Iguchi got, etc.

If KW comes away impressed, I expect the Sox to make a strong push.

As someone else said, the word has always been that he owns about 5%. It could be the case that he has bought/inherited stake from owners that have bowed out or died.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Same with the Bulls or is JR the sole proprietor of that?

I believe JR owns a much heftier portion of the Bulls, somewhere in the stratosphere of 65%

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Back in the day I used to tell my Cubs friends that Reinsdorf and Selig got together and colluded to ensure that the 1) Cuban didnt get the team and 2) The ownership group lead by Banks didnt get the team, to ensure that the Brewers and Sox could compete with them.

Its just tin foil hat, but there was something odd about how that sale went down.

I wouldn't put that past either of them

I think the ownership structure description is accurate, but I don't think the figurehead part is. It sounds like as the years have gone by, most follow Jerry's lead, and do so very happily. I always got the impression he is very influential and basically things go the way he wants them to go.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Hasn't stopped Stark or Badler from doing so.

If memory serves, Reinsdorf owns 5% but is the acting chairman.

I believe I remember hearing that is where he started, but as partners have wanted out over the years, he has bought up many other shares of the team. Can anyone confirm or deny?