Bruce Levine

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
That's a whole lot of hypothetical. Again, Tanaka will potentially require 7 years and $150 million. For a guy who hasn't started more than 23 games in a season and scouts are split on whether he is even a top of the rotation starter....let alone an 'Ace'. He has had declining velocity and doesn't strike out a whole lot of hitters in a far inferior league, and historically pitchers from that league have not stayed healthy or succeeded long term here. But, who cares the White Sox can eat a 7 year contract when according to some, you specifically, have far too many holes to compete right now. Brilliant.

And the Sox strength is finding and developing pitchers. Why spend insane money, on a maybe with a huge amount of questions marks, when you can fill multiple holes when it is time to compete?

You're argument must be that Tanaka isn't a top-of-the-rotation starter because the idea that the Sox couldn't absorb a 7yr/$150M deal given their their payroll obligations going forward just isn't a good one.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
You're argument must be that Tanaka isn't a top-of-the-rotation starter because the idea that the Sox couldn't absorb a 7yr/$150M deal given their their payroll obligations going forward just isn't a good one.

How about "There's a risk that Tanaka isn't a top-of-the-rotation starter and if that were the case then a 7/$150 deal would be an enormously bad, franchise-crippling deal for the White Sox. Thus, you must be 100% absolutely certain that he's an ace right out of the gate because the downside risk is enormous".

It's like putting all your retirement money on red. It might work...but you better darn well know it's going to come up red.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

That wasnt his argument at all

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
And the Sox strength is finding and developing pitchers. Why spend insane money, on a maybe with a huge amount of questions marks, when you can fill multiple holes when it is time to compete?

Spend money because a player is available who could set you up for contention for years to come. Have you seen the Sox payroll obligations for the next 6 years, Tanaka wouldn't prevent them from competing even if he turned out to be awful.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Spend money because a player is available who could set you up for contention for years to come. Have you seen the Sox payroll obligations for the next 6 years, Tanaka wouldn't prevent them from competing even if he turned out to be awful.

Prevent? No. "Make it so that they had zero margin for error and every single decision they made had to turn out right, which is typically very unlikely in baseball"? Yeah, it would do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
How about "There's a risk that Tanaka isn't a top-of-the-rotation starter and if that were the case then a 7/$150 deal would be an enormously bad, franchise-crippling deal for the White Sox. Thus, you must be 100% absolutely certain that he's an ace right out of the gate because the downside risk is enormous".

It's like putting all your retirement money on red. It might work...but you better darn well know it's going to come up red.

Have you seen the Sox future payroll obligations?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
Prevent? No. "Make it so that they had zero margin for error and every single decision they made had to turn out right, which is typically very unlikely in baseball"? Yeah, it would do that.

You must not have seen their future payroll obligations.

It's difficult to argue that the Sox shouldn't be heavily involved in due diligence for Tanaka. He should be considered an option.

Whether or not they choose to enter the bidding depends ENTIRELY on their internal assessment of his abilities and upside -- an assessment to which we have no insight and which may or may not be completely different from public or even internal club consensus.

If they don't get him, it won't necessarily be because they didn't think they had the payroll space.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
It's difficult to argue that the Sox shouldn't be heavily involved in due diligence for Tanaka. He should be considered an option.

Whether or not they choose to enter the bidding depends ENTIRELY on their internal assessment of his abilities and upside -- an assessment to which we have no insight and which may or may not be completely different from public or even internal club consensus.

If they don't get him, it won't necessarily be because they didn't think they had the payroll space.

And that's fair enough. The idea that it's beyond the level of acceptable risk for the Sox because it's likely to be in the $150M range just isn't correct though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Are they going to develop 0 starting pitchers before 2017?

Come on Balta, if the Sox were willing to pony up $100M+ for Tanaka, it's because they think he's a legitimate ace. Let's not pretend we've been able to develop aces on a regular basis or that an ace would not provide significant value (especially in the post-season) over the mid rotation starters we are able to develop.

Marty's point makes perfect sense, I'm just not sure Tanaka is the right guy to roll the dice on. Quite frankly, we might be best off taking Hoffman in the draft and hope he can be an elite #2 starter alongside Sale. I'd rather spend my money on free agent bats than pitchers all else being equal.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
What was it?

That's on you for not reading my posts. My arguments are clearly laid out as others seemed to grasp them, or it's just your normal MO of ignoring what people write if you don't have any intelligent rebuttal.

Actually, it's on me for responding to you in the first place. My bad.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)

Absolutely. They should be doing their due diligence. If they feel he is a can't miss ace. Get in the mix.The Sox history says they are very wary of long term pitching contracts and this Tanaka situation comes with a lot of red flags. I would be very surprised if they are serious contenders on him. Just feel like this is a trial year and the money moving forward would be better spent being spread around.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
If we're going to spend $150M, I'd rather get Choo for 7 years. This would have the added effect (benefit?) of nearly forcing a dumping of Tank, which would make some here happy.

Not advocating this, BTW.

The Sox need to leverage the Sale contract to find the biggest competitive advantage possible. In my view that is taking a chance on another frontline starter via free agency and drafting a potential one with the third pick. In 3-4 years, if it turns out they have the best top 3 starters in MLB I'll take my chances filling in whatever positional holes there are.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)

I agree. The Sox already took their big gamble on Abreu. To take another now for an even bigger gamble financially plus spending $20M for nothing but the right to sign him is a huge gamble regardless of how they "think " he will project. Tanaka wasn't anything special in the WBC. Also in 2011 when Tanaka really took off as a pitcher the Japanese league changed baseballs and offenses suffered. Not sure if they ever changed back. http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Masahiro_Tanaka

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside